View Full Version : ADD and Commitment Phobia (Severe Anxiety)

Pallet40
03-22-11, 02:07 AM
Hi

Long Story Short (somewhat)

I'm an extremely functional ADD personality (Guy - 24) who's very proud of his behavior modification progress. All trial periods with medication I found not to be of long term benefit (tried various trials of wellbutrin and adderall with careful doctor supervision). Just being very smart and methodical (maturing helped big time) with behavioral modification has allowed me to get almost everything I want career wise and socially in life. I have one gaping problem however. I've been diagnosed with severe commitment phobia.

Essentially, once in a serious relationship, I get anxiety attacks if I don't break up with the person and let them love me. Its incredibly unconscious and with all my heart, I don't want this problem, but I have it. All love of the other person turns to anxiety and pushing away. It's a very strong mechanism that I haven't had any luck in fixing on my own.

The only relationship I had that didnt have this problem was when I was on wellbutrin for anti-anxiety/depression. I was quite fine with the commitment, but on the other hand, didnt understand reality very well / worry about things. I didn't like long term how wellbutrin impaired my judgement on certain matters. Buuuut somehow the trigger mechanism in my brain was shut off. I could love people.

I'm investigating other possible treatments (ie. Hypnotherapy) and would love to hear anyone's opinion on those but my real question for this forum is if anyone here with ADD knows of any anti-anxiety medication that doesnt ramp up your ADD or make you a vegetable. I found Wellbutrin to seriously change the way I consciously felt/ thought about things and that is no good. I'm looking for something to disarm a subconscious anxiety trigger and not affect my ADD.

Would really appreciate any advice. Thanks,

Immigrant 1
03-24-11, 05:54 PM
I have had the same experience with relationships. I found being on a stimulant made me freak out less about it and I could be more comfortable with being in a relationship. I beleive it is because I wasn't so spontaneous and looking at all the other women all the time. I could handle one woman for the rest of my life, more. On stimulants I could focus on my partner more, feel more romantically connected and lovey dovey. My problem is that I can only stand low dose MPH products for a couple of days before I become exhausted and a zombie. I'm now trying 10mg Biphentin four times a day (ie. capsule contents divided into 4). This has been my only solution to my commitment anxiety and desire to play the field. Seems to work well for me.

Pallet40
05-03-11, 01:13 PM
Did you find Biphentin made you feel apathetic or less self-aware at all? What was your dosage? I'm concerned that it will magnify some ADD tendencies. I highly value being self aware/ intelligent and terrified any new meds will have an effect on how my friends/ people and I interact.

evilcrazy
05-07-11, 10:52 AM
Did you find Biphentin made you feel apathetic or less self-aware at all? What was your dosage? I'm concerned that it will magnify some ADD tendencies. I highly value being self aware/ intelligent and terrified any new meds will have an effect on how my friends/ people and I interact.

It is making me less self aware, less anxious BUT has magnified my ADD symptoms. I'm not sure about the apathetic part ... I'm more in tune to others needs but not obsessing over them like I was before. I think I was too self aware before ... too concerned.

cronk9
05-20-11, 04:30 AM
I am OCD, ADHD and Bipolar... I have the same relationship problem... I thought it was just me. I did not relize it was caused by my ADHD but would make sense, I always panic and want out. I freak out thinking of being in a relationship after about six months when things are fine... What do we do??? I see my doctor on Tuesday, I will ask, if I get an answer on behavior training I will let you know.

Pallet40
05-22-11, 11:08 PM
On doing alot of spiritual research and reflection, I'm beginning to think alot of it is just the introduction of love into a life that hasnt really been given it before. It kind of feels like you're allergic to it subconsciously. The Book " Fire in the Belly" by Sam Keen is really helpful. I'm booking an appointment with my doctor too. Am going to try Wellbutrin or another drug thats a antidepressant/ stimulant combo. I just dont want to lose the way I am off medication (wacky, lovable and stable (except in relationships)) and the ability to be able to drink/ party.

Thanks everyone for your advice etc