View Full Version : Klonopin!

den4
03-27-11, 08:05 AM
So I stopped taking Klonopin after about 7 years. I had been diagnosed with Social Anxiety. I weaned off after months, had no problems doing so. I did it carefully and kept cutting the .5mg's until there was nothing left.

I mentioned before that for a whole month I was fine and then out of no where I felt a panic attack coming on. I wasn't in a situation I felt stressful but yet I had one and it was in public. Luckily, nobody noticed. but I was so scared. I hadn't felt like that since before I took Klonopin...as soon as I went home I started taking it again. I thought I had successfully quit it and I could handle the anxiety on my own.

So I started doing a little research on it recently. I started reading that Klonopin could stay in your system for over a year, especially if you took it for a long period of time. So is it possible that a panic attack hit me because I was actually still withdrawing? It had only been a month. I will mention it to the doctor asap and see what his thoughts are.

I just want to quit this med because I'm lazy with it. I don't want a long life with this medication. However, this one is recommended the most and I can see why. It works well. It's just lazyness leads to procrastination...to not getting anything done. I also heard from a couple people that all benzo's make you tired. (so no use for switching) Also that other benzo's wear off too fast and some make you addicted to them. I had asked the doctor about Xanax and he didn't recommend it at all. (for many reasons)He did say Klonopin was the best option for me because it lasts longer.

So to try to get off of it again or not.....I'm talking to the doc and going to give it a try again and this time longer even if I get panic attacks, unless it's severe.

fatality
03-31-11, 11:16 PM
good for you. glad to hear your off benzodiazapines completely?

I took klonopin a month ago. Started on the 1mg then onto the 2mg. It was originally perscribed for sleep but failed to do that... Worked good for social anxiety, but not for add / adhd. It'd make me lethargic / docile.

IMHO Xanax worked better for the anxiety than klonopin but doc's rarely perscribe it anymore - and I was lucky to get on the klonopin.

den4
04-04-11, 04:58 AM
So far I haven't stopped them. I'm waiting until my next appointment to discuss it. I was HOPING somebody might know why I reacted the way I did and suddenly had a panic attack but perhaps nobody has had this experience yet.

I agree it definitely makes you very lethargic, but I don't get sleepy to the point of sleep either.

fatality
04-04-11, 11:48 PM
So, you experienced a panic attack OFF the klonopin?

Klonopin isn't a magic cure, it's more of a "blanket" to cover up the underlying problems. I suggest Cognitive Behavioral Therapy along with a anti-depressant and klonopin to treat the panic attacks.

Medication is good, but, no one wants to be on medication forever... I don't, but, given the way my brain works - I have to be.

den4
04-06-11, 08:44 AM
So, you experienced a panic attack OFF the klonopin?

Klonopin isn't a magic cure, it's more of a "blanket" to cover up the underlying problems. I suggest Cognitive Behavioral Therapy along with a anti-depressant and klonopin to treat the panic attacks.

Medication is good, but, no one wants to be on medication forever... I don't, but, given the way my brain works - I have to be.

Yes, I experienced a panic attack off of it. Actually, I am currently in Cognitive Behavioral therapy, however the psychologist keeps telling me how well informed I am on all the coping techniques that there is no point in being there now. So I'm considering switching Docs. If I felt I had good coping strategies...I wouldn't had started.

I think mine is considered a life time condition. I've just accepted that. Although, she disagrees. I think I need a second opinion. Of course I wish it wasn't a long term problem.

The Klonopin by itself works just fine for the anxiety. I just don't want to be on a benzo anymore. I can't handle the lazyness anymore. I agree on the last line you wrote, it seems like at the end I'm just going to have to accept that as well. Although, I'm going to give it one more try and get off of it. I'll post with what happens after I have.

fatality
04-06-11, 10:40 AM
Have you ever tried a anti-depressant such as a SSNRI: effexor, cymbalta, prstiq?

In theory this class of anti-depressant recommended above is thought to: increase happiness / lower anxiety - while retaining up's and down's *thus no 24/7 happy feeling*. Although I'm happy most of the time, I do have times when I get sad or mad depending on whats going on in my life. My social anxiety, general anxiety, ptsd, and depression have all pretty much gone away since I've started Effexor along with Adderall.

I'm not saying anti-depressants work for everyone, but, I was in your shoes. I thought I was going to have to be on a benzo for the rest of my life - that thought along with the sadness it produced led to my downfall last month. I had withdrawls from klonopin for about a week coming off cold turkey, I can see how they're addictive. I will only consider going back on a benzo if my anxiety comes back and affects job performance / social life.

p.s: no offense but your psych is probably telling you that you don't need CBT so you'll remain on the klonopin and keep on seeing him lol... I'm glad your considering switching docs, hopefully you'll find one that believes in therapy and medication and not medication alone.

good luck in whatever you choose.

den4
04-14-11, 02:49 AM
Have you ever tried a anti-depressant such as a SSNRI: effexor, cymbalta, prstiq?

In theory this class of anti-depressant recommended above is thought to: increase happiness / lower anxiety - while retaining up's and down's *thus no 24/7 happy feeling*. Although I'm happy most of the time, I do have times when I get sad or mad depending on whats going on in my life. My social anxiety, general anxiety, ptsd, and depression have all pretty much gone away since I've started Effexor along with Adderall.

I'm not saying anti-depressants work for everyone, but, I was in your shoes. I thought I was going to have to be on a benzo for the rest of my life - that thought along with the sadness it produced led to my downfall last month. I had withdrawls from klonopin for about a week coming off cold turkey, I can see how they're addictive. I will only consider going back on a benzo if my anxiety comes back and affects job performance / social life.

p.s: no offense but your psych is probably telling you that you don't need CBT so you'll remain on the klonopin and keep on seeing him lol... I'm glad your considering switching docs, hopefully you'll find one that believes in therapy and medication and not medication alone.

good luck in whatever you choose.

Hey!
well actually no my psychiatrist gives me the meds, and my psychologist is the one I talk to-and who said I already knew all the coping methods. If she wants me gone that is fine...lol. But I doubt that's the case. I think basically she felt she has nothing else to teach me because I already know everything she knows. So that is why perhaps going to another person who knows even more techniques would be more beneficial to me instead of sticking with her.

SSRI's. I have had a bad reaction to several. My anxiety decreased but was (almost) the same....but it made me numb to all emotions so I stay far away from those. Thank you for the suggestion though because it DOES help decrease anxiety with a Benzo. From what I have experienced.