ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > Blogs > Mijahe's Cool Blog
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wonder if I'll remember this blog is here in a couple of days?
Rate this Entry

It's not always the ADHD...

Posted 09-11-09 at 09:36 AM by mijahe
Being diagnosed late in life, I've had to figure out some workarounds for my ADHD. The work environment is interesting. I constantly flip-flop between various projects that are on the go. Often as much as up to four in the space of ten minutes.

Long projects are a disaster - they frustrate the hell out of me. If I ever am on long projects, then I'll still have those short ones that I can flip-flop between.

I've often wondered what it'd be like to have been treated early, wonder where I'd be. Whether I'd be "more organized", or "on the ball". I also often wonder about the effectiveness of the medication I'm taking. There's times when I wonder if it is at all working.

This is usually when I discover that I have wasted a week flip-flopping between the irrelevant, (but exciting), projects and not concentrating on what I *should* be doing.

It would seem that after spending my untreated life employing these workarounds I have probably been doing the wrong thing. Much like someone who self teaches themselves how to play the drums, or the piano. Often they have to 'unlearn' the way they have learnt something, and have to re-learn it the proper way.

So, it's like a bad habit, that keeps me in the rut. The ever wavering attention span, the vagueness, the forgetfullness, the disorganization can now all be attributed to something. But the method to the madness needs to be modified - the way I approach it needs to change.

I think often, it's not always the ADHD, but sometimes, just sometimes, it's a bad habit that I can't shake.
Facebook Twitter Submit "It's not always the ADHD..." to Digg Submit "It's not always the ADHD..." to del.icio.us Submit "It's not always the ADHD..." to StumbleUpon Submit "It's not always the ADHD..." to Google
Tags: metathought
Posted in Thingy
Views 2186 Comments 1 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old
    It is hard to differentiate between one object and the next when they are all bundled together in a complex human being.

I enjoyed the instrumental metaphor, I think it is very accurate.

~ Phan

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks