ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > Blogs > meadd823
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Rate this Entry

To The Dogmatic Free Thinker and Religious Skeptic

Posted 03-01-10 at 07:32 AM by meadd823
Updated 01-15-13 at 02:50 AM by meadd823
I am sick of free thinking skeptics trying to cram their version of reality down my throat so I decided to put down all my thought in a single blog. Next time I run across one of these folks my thoughts will already be typed up therefore all I have to do is copy and paste.

Disclaimer - this is a pre-typed blog entry not aimed at any one in particular just specific situations that arise from time to time

-----------------------------------------

If you can't handle another point of view with some degree of respect then you have little faith in your own perspective. Why waste my time trying to convene me that you and you alone have cornered the market on the universal right reality ,the only way to see my life, or my ADHD

Getting a few things straight . . .

Free thinking means freedom to think for yourself but it doesn't include any entitlement to do the thinking for me

Healthy skepticism means avoiding misinformation by investigation, education and reflection it does not mean cramming your version of truth down every one else's throat

I am sort of funny in that being a jack a** is not the way appear to be right, just rude.

Science is but one way to understand our world, by dismissing other possibilities you render it just another religion

One can not have an agenda and be objective at the same time life just doesn't work that way

I have the right to see my life and my world any way I so chose as do you.

If I want to see my ADD as a gift who in the hell are you to claim I am lying

If you want to be disordered then so be it I certainly won't stop you.

If you are having a hard time with me chances are I perceive you as trying to force your views upon me, or we are simply having a misunderstanding.

Try simply asking me my intentions instead of just assuming you know.

Polite correction for misinterpretations is normally welcome ,treating me like I am stupid is never appreciated

I love a play on words and quick whit but personal Insults are a fools way of letting me know they are out of intellectual ammunition so don't be an idiot

I respect most opinions but I do not abide by scare tactics, half truths, and dogma If you are conveying a personal experience then present it as such.

What is good for the goose is NOT necessarily good for the gander

Conspiracy theories normally come with a hidden agenda I reserve the right to look for it.

I reserve the right to question, doubt and respectfully disagree

What you write is a reflection of you not me.

.Individual realities come many versions so don't be surprised if your reality isn't every ones

We do not see things the way they are but as we are. . . . .

-----------------------------------------

Facebook Twitter Submit "To The Dogmatic Free Thinker and  Religious Skeptic" to Digg Submit "To The Dogmatic Free Thinker and  Religious Skeptic" to del.icio.us Submit "To The Dogmatic Free Thinker and  Religious Skeptic" to StumbleUpon Submit "To The Dogmatic Free Thinker and  Religious Skeptic" to Google
Posted in Wtf
Views 4763 Comments 8 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 8

Comments

1. Old
    YES, this:

Quote:
    Healthy skepticism means avoiding misinformation by investigation, education and reflection it does not mean cramming your version of truth down every one else's throat
    and...

Quote:
    I respect most opinions but I do not abide by scare tactics, half truths, and dogma If you are conveying a personal experience then present it as such.
    actually, although i must admit to general skepticism myself, most if not all of what you say is so right on
  2. Old
    A narrative problem it seems.

Science is not properly equipped to narrate (imo). It shines brighest when it simply observes with out making value judgments at all. Any narrative extrapolations from scientific observations are probably not scientific but something else--maybe philosophical?

When a scientist is put in the position of making a statement about reality the scientist does so fully prepared to be falsified given further information.

Given this--a scientist should be a skeptic at heart--for in order to make any claim, possible experiments which could falsify that claim mast be suggested within the same work.

Identification with a narrative leads to a possessive feeling of 'owning' or even 'being' the story,which in turn leads to an emotive feeling of having lost something (as if a material object) given that narrative is threatened by a contradictory 'story'.

It helps me to consider that the narratives I am provided with are manifested at the subconscious level and fine tuned by affective (emotional) systems which make non-verbal claims about the 'value' of an argument.

The skeptical mind set--or tools of analysis--applied to ones own thought process (lets not burden our selves with what could be applying such a tool set) is to me the true sign that an individual is indeed a skeptic.

I am wondering--which two states of mind are you in between (your profile suggests you occupy a neutral space between two mental points)?

Cheers!
  3. Old
    Here here meadd! There is no room for dogmatism in skepticism.
  4. Old
    Quote:
    I am wondering--which two states of mind are you in between (your profile suggests you occupy a neutral space between two mental points)?

Or two different states of mind continuously
  5. Old
    I had considered that interpretation.

Its a good way to be, although you are probably between many more then just two :-)

A mind full of propositions (represented by any number of sensory modalities) and to each one of them we respond, "make your case and i shall reply to each of you in turn."

Regardless of whether each has merits, or if they all simply seem unconvincing, we can recognize them as artistic works that highlight certain aspects of reality while leaving others untouched.

In other words, we remain skeptical about our own ability to make definitive statements about a posited 'external' reality that would be 'reconstructed' via our sensory apparatus (visual systems and such).

I have always had an overactive 'doubt mechanism', you could consider it some flavor of OCD that makes it impossible for me to trust my own judgment. I'm also very distrusting of others conclusions.

This has made me very hands on with knowledge, if i can apply it to obtain something i have deemed of value, then i consider that piece of knowledge to be valuable in so much as it can obtain that item (not necessarily a physical item).
  6. Old
    Quote:
    I have always had an overactive 'doubt mechanism', you could consider it some flavor of OCD that makes it impossible for me to trust my own judgment. I'm also very distrusting of others conclusions.
    oh well maybe it is because I do not see right verses wrong but diverse possibilities - even now and again a case of flat out BS but those are easily detected by the foul smell

I have to be confident of my own reality I would simply be over run by bullies and confused my my husband if I wasn't
  7. Old
    hehehe

I guess my confidence is in skepticism.

If my belief system is to be overrun, it will be by those who are confident in there own ability to accurately represent the world around them. They could then (perhaps) convince me that i should be confident in a particular world view as well.

At this point, i would have abandoned my current position, which is that no position is worth holding on to in all contexts (at least not to tightly)

cheers!
  8. Old
    Quote:
    Science is but one way to understand our world, by dismissing other possibilities you render it just another religion
    I love this line....lol. One only has to look at my signature to understand why.

The Evolution/Creationism debate is a hot topic that falls under this point. I am not religious by any stretch of the imagination, but when I leave open the possibility of intelligent design, I automatically get dismissed as a "Creationist" in the biblical sense.

The scientific community considers itself to be open-minded, however when my objective and open-minded point of view is discounted without debate, they prove themselves to be the strictest definition of "closed-minded".
    Posted 04-17-10 at 06:46 AM by FinallyAnswered FinallyAnswered is offline

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks