ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > Blogs > Bacchanalia in my brain!
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Probably gonna be a hodge-podge of verbage shat from my brain. So much going on up there...
Rate this Entry

Ok, Just One More...

Posted 03-27-08 at 11:48 AM by RunninL8
This is a subject that often comes up and I feel very strongly about this. I always want to shout it out (in a helpful way) to people who seem to self-diagnose themselves or their kids or rely on a doctors simple questionare for a diagnosis and subsequent treatment. I'm re-posting it here in the hopes that more people will see it. Here goes:

My opinion is that NO ONE should accept a subjective ADD diagnosis from a shrink or general practicioner who merely asks them a few questions or gives them a survey to fill out! NO ADD/ADHD rating scale, on-line "test", checklist, survey, or questionnaire has ever been validated, endorsed, or recommended by ANY Local, State, or Federal Government!! PLEASE click here for info on Neuropsychological Evaluation / Testing!!!

To get a concreate diagnosis you must see a Neuropsychologist for a full barage of tests using DSM-IV criteria to weed out any other variables and get the correct diagnosis!!! To determine anything conclusive, the use of objective testing is mandatory.

It kills me to see SO MANY people self diagnosing or relying on their family doctor or shrink. Can you imagine how MANY people out there are mis-diagnosed or unnecessarily trying med after med for a dysfunction that they DON'T have?!?!? Or worse yet, never getting the right treatment for the REAL problem, i.e. Bi-polar, dysthymia, etc.
ARG.

DIG IT! FLUXGRAPHIA, my BLOG
Facebook Twitter Submit "Ok, Just One More..." to Digg Submit "Ok, Just One More..." to del.icio.us Submit "Ok, Just One More..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Ok, Just One More..." to Google
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2784 Comments 3 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old
    I love it!

“See! Now they’re friendly." She then asked her sister if she could “ have yoursez eyes?”
  2. Old
    Ultimatey i think in the U.K. that isn't offered on NHS, so it relys on what the patient says, they're parents, feedback from school. And so on. That link sounds like the tests wold probably be really helpful, but I think that they're probably really boring. I hate IQ tests. Also the connors scale is what I got gave.
  3. Old
    The connors scale is considered sound? I think it must b e if the NHS is offering it.

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks