ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > Blogs > busyhermit
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Rate this Entry

So have you heard about the bees?

Posted 03-02-08 at 01:21 AM by busyhermit
I watched a TV special a month or two ago looking into the fact that a large percentage of the honeybees here is the US are disappearing or dying without explanation. Growers of all kinds, from crops to fruit and nut trees depend upon honey bees, often brought in specially by beekeepers, to pollinate their crops. In short, no bees = significantly less crops. Beekeepers are now losing a large percentage of their bees every year, and as yet, apparently no one knows the reason. It's presumed to be a combination of stressors, some natural, some introduced by people, that have simply become too much for them.

Well it never really left my mind, and then I heard a spot on the local news about it the other night. They went as far as to suggest that if the trend continues, the US may need to import record amounts of produce, and to expect prices to rise.

Here's a COSMOS article that explains it pretty well: http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/node/1087

You know, I'm not an alarmist. Mostly I just kind of live in my own small world. But I find this really disturbing. I mean, I do believe that the world is in a state of collapse - that there's no un-doing all the wrong we have done to it. But I generally push those thoughts out of my mind, hoping that disaster is far in the future. But I looked down at my plate during dinner this evening, and got a really creepy feeling - I wondered if someday I would look back on such carefree days-of-plenty with envy and sorrow.... wishing I had appreciated it all more.
Facebook Twitter Submit "So have you heard about the bees?" to Digg Submit "So have you heard about the bees?" to del.icio.us Submit "So have you heard about the bees?" to StumbleUpon Submit "So have you heard about the bees?" to Google
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2765 Comments 1 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old
    I have always believed we are much too wasteful - I recycle for a living so I am well aware of just how much is wasted - I think we all hope disasters are things that occur far into the future but the reality is all life is very fragile - some times we just notice it more than we do at others.

Very thought provoking entry -

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks