ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > Blogs > LeeAnne
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Rate this Entry

All I am Saying is Give CBT a Chance...

Posted 07-03-08 at 06:28 PM by LeeAnne
It may seem flakey but CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) does help.

When I dabbled in it I was surprised how well a simple- no you are okay/ you deserve to heal from whatever it is- actually worked.

Simple words is all it took...

It is the only thing that has shone a light in the diagnostic messes I have gone through.

It's amazing how stuck I can feel at times.

I passed a socially phobic depressive winter. Hell even if a large group wanted to celebrate my birthday I might turn it down still, but I am doing much better.

I am on no medication. And I am waiting for a group CBT program.
Facebook Twitter Submit "All I am Saying is Give CBT a Chance..." to Digg Submit "All I am Saying is Give CBT a Chance..." to del.icio.us Submit "All I am Saying is Give CBT a Chance..." to StumbleUpon Submit "All I am Saying is Give CBT a Chance..." to Google
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2333 Comments 2 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old
    CBT is great. Have you also heard of DBT?? Its pretty amazing too.

Quote:
    Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT) is a psychological method developed by Marsha M. Linehan to treat patients with borderline personality disorder (BPD).[1] Research indicates its application to also be effective in treating patients who represent varied symptoms and behaviors associated with spectrum mood disorders, including self-injury.[2] Key elements DBT practitioners emphasize include, behaviorist theory, dialectics, cognitive therapy, and, DBT's central component, mindfulness. There are two essential parts of the treatment, and without either of these parts the therapy is not considered "DBT adherent."
    1. An individual component in which the therapist and client discuss issues that come up during the week, recorded on diary cards and follow a treatment target hierarchy. Self-injurious and suicidal behaviors take first priority, followed by therapy interfering behaviors. Then there are quality of life issues and finally working towards improving one's life generally. During the individual therapy, the therapist and client work towards improving skill use. Often, skills group is discussed and obstacles to acting skillfully are addressed.
    2. The group, which ordinarily meets once weekly for two to two-and-a-half hours, learns to use specific skills that are broken down into four modules: core mindfulness skills, emotion regulation skills, interpersonal effectiveness skills and distress tolerance skills.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialect...vioral_therapy
  2. Old
    I've thought about trying DBT. I was not too sure of it. I have I guess a spectrum mood disorder and have chronic issues with self harm, and the urge to self harm. I am glad you showed me this.

I don't trust traditional psychiatry with biological dx and meds. I have had bad run ins with the biological variety. It just never worked well for me.

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks