ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > Blogs > Song of Mercy
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Rate this Entry

for theirs is the kingdom of heaven

Posted 04-28-09 at 10:14 AM by Song of Mercy
No joke, this section of scripture gave me a work out this morning. I have been chasing down parts of speech, similar uses of words, and themes that are similar with the words ‘is’ ‘kingdom’ and ‘heaven.’ I found one thing out, even in reference tools; no one really cares to make a decisive statement about this passage.

There is a false doctrine that some of you may be familiar with; the doctrine of the ‘kingdom now.’ This doctrine teaches that we are now in heaven and that there is no literal heaven found in a different location or time. I suspect this heresy is why theologians hesitate to present the meaning of the verse. Additionally, each word has numerous meanings in the Greek language. Thus an accurate translation is a challenge. However, the meaning becomes clear as the pieces are put together.

I am not going to claim to have this exactly correct. If the greatest theologians cannot be sure, obviously there is room for speculation of my interpretation. I will say this though, what I am presenting to you is what I am going to be teaching my children during devotions. I do not want to right pages of defense regarding each statement I make. Therefore, if you question something, please leave a comment or pm me with it. I will do my best to address it or further expand with references for your personal evaluation of the material.

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

First let’s talk about when the poor in spirit will acquire this reward. When I read the verse it seemed obvious that ‘is’ referred to now. However, with diligence I spent much time learning how the word ‘is’ is used in Greek. Let me summarize the two hours that it took with a simple statement, the word ‘is’ in this passage refers to something already acquired. That is kind of interesting; it seems to lend validity to the heresy of the ‘kingdom now’ doctrine. However upon further examination of the rest of the verse we will become clearer in our understanding of what ‘is’ means.

Is = has aquired

Next I moved onto the word ‘kingdom,’ another challenging word. If you look at the phrase ‘kingdom of heaven’ you may think of the future inheritance that Christians hope for. Yet, that does not make sense if it is something we have already acquired. The Apostle Paul states in Philippians 3:12 ‘Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Confirming indeed, we have not acquired our full inheritance. So, what does it mean? A kingdom can be a place, or in this case a position of power. We have acquired power from God for our use now and dignity with it. Seeing as we are discussing the ‘poor,’ Christ’s word choice is beautiful, power and dignity, two attributes that are not commonly associated with the impoverished.

Kingdom=Royal power and dignity.

Finally, let’s look at the word ‘heaven.’ I love this one. After careful review of several sources I believe this word means the happiness and power bestowed on the ‘poor in spirit’ is of heavenly origin. It is God who wields the power, God who bestows the happiness and also God who chooses those qualified to enter eternity.

Heaven=Happiness, power, eternity that all come from God himself.

Let’s summarize the entire verse:

Happy and to be congratulated are those who do not claim to have all knowledge of God yet become beggars of God in their earnest desire to know Him and His will. They have been given, for their current use, the right of royal power and dignity. Their happiness, power and also their eternity come directly from God.

Powerful.

Song
Facebook Twitter Submit "for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" to Digg Submit "for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" to del.icio.us Submit "for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" to StumbleUpon Submit "for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" to Google
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3489 Comments 1 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old
    amazing Song

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks