ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > Blogs > LeeAnne
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Rate this Entry

Trauma by Healthcare

Posted 06-17-08 at 09:36 AM by LeeAnne
When doctors are supposed to fix our hurts, psychological, or physical, it's hard to make the accusation that they made us hurt worse.

Generally no one wants to believe it's true because what makes you so special or "different" that they didn't help you?

I feel more traumatised by psychiatry than truly helped. The meds calmed the anxiety, but my treatment plan simply said "shut up."

I don't think I am special. I think I ended up with the wrong treatment.

I was sent to a drug ward for my first inpatient stay. I was not drinking, nor was I on drugs. I wasn't an addict of any kind.

Sure I got a little drunk at one, or two college parties- do I deserve a drug ward? Considering the basis on which they committed me they could've committed half of my college at least.

There I was told I had bipolar 2, and to never stop taking my meds. I was told I reeked of alcohol, despite doctor's notes stating otherwise.

I was given a sedative the first night of my hospital stay. I remember the nurse telling me it was because I wasn't going to sleep. When I left the ward they accused me of having taken a sedative.

The type of sedative would've been very hard to get a hold of. I lived in a dry county, on a baptist campus. I had no contact with drugs.

When I tried to tell another doctor my experience I was called a liar.

I saw a new psychologist 8 years later and they helped me see that bipolar can sometimes be a very wrong diagnosis.

I found it hard to believe I was not even bipolar. For years I thought I was.

For years though I lived with a treatment that said don't rock the boat, and don't question.

I laid all my diagnosis on the counter with my next pdoc. None of it made sense. I had poor med reactions, was it really bipolar after all or just sensitivity to meds, or really, PTSD?

My doc wanted me on a treatment of mood stabilizers because we had no idea what treatment would work.

She made me feel as if she was just experimenting on me. One week she would declare I was bipolar and push lithium as a treatment option, without having even discussed it before. The next week she would apologise and immediately change the treatment plan.

Weird huh.
Facebook Twitter Submit "Trauma by Healthcare" to Digg Submit "Trauma by Healthcare" to del.icio.us Submit "Trauma by Healthcare" to StumbleUpon Submit "Trauma by Healthcare" to Google
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1584 Comments 0 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks