ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > Blogs > Bailey's mum
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Rate this Entry

Any mums out there

Posted 03-04-08 at 11:26 PM by Bailey's mum
Hi I'm wondering if there are any mum's out there with a child with ADHD, my son will be 7 soon, it has just been confirmed he has ADHD.

What now???
Facebook Twitter Submit "Any mums out there" to Digg Submit "Any mums out there" to del.icio.us Submit "Any mums out there" to StumbleUpon Submit "Any mums out there" to Google
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1608 Comments 1 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old
    Hi Bailey's Mom!

There are a lot of us who are parents of ADD kids. I have a 10 year old daughter with ADD who was diagnosed around six or seven. She is doing well in school and has learned a lot of self control -- age as well as consistent teaching helps. Finding a passion they can feel good about is also important. In her case, it is music.

Some of the things that have helped her include Omega III fatty acids, a calcium, magnsium, zinc supplement (the last two are low in most folks with ADD), and lots of exercise and structure. She tried meds and they helped but made her more aggressive. I homeschooled her through second grade and now she is in a small church school. There is a bit of trial and error in finding the right fit for your child and family.

I was diagnosed at 4 with hyperactivity and though I never outgrew it, it did get less problematic and didn't stop me from graduating from college, having a career I loved, or staying married 21 year and counting. There is a great book out there called Raising Resilient Children by Sam Goldstein and Robert Brooks that discusses what has been found to help kids, including those with ADD, have happy outcomes.

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks