ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > Blogs > Song of Mercy
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Rate this Entry

Blessed are the Merciful for they will be shown mercy

Posted 03-15-10 at 08:30 AM by Song of Mercy
ďBlessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. Matthew 5:7

Wow, I think I can see why I needed to take a year off before getting back into this blog! As I was reading through the last one I realized that I was not clear in my writing. I love the material in the blog because it is well researched and I think it is fairly accurate. However, I almost had to break out the books just to figure out what I was talking about. That is not good writing, or rather, communicating. So, I am returning to the commitment to complete this section of Godís word, however, I am going to try and communicate more clearly. Welcome, or welcome back. I am glad you are here friend.

Who are the merciful? Surely, even in spite of hardship and heartbreak, each of us has experienced mercy in our lives. Perhaps we have had daily mercies such as someone allowing us into a crowded lane while we are driving. Or perhaps, we have had a teacher in our life that allowed us to redo a test or hand in a paper late. For some mercy has been felt through a card in the mail during a challenging trial or even a warm smile on someoneís face. So who are the merciful? They are people who are actively compassionate to others.

I think I have stumbled on this concept of mercy in the past. You know, raising my children I would often refrain from disciplining them in an effort to give them mercy. I often felt that if I had been a better parent they would not be in this or that situation. I was so mistaken in doing that. That was guilt not mercy. Then there have been times when I just did not know how to help a person in need. I felt compelled to act but did not know how.

As I was studying this verse I was so delighted by what I found. Mercy is not so hard after all. According to Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words, mercy is something that is needed by another person. It is also something that the giver has available to give. So the idea is that a person with a recognized need is blessed by a person with the ability to meet the need.

In the case of me trying to be merciful when my children misbehaved I was in error. What they needed most of the time was training. The true mercy would have been to find a way to teach them and/or correct their behavior. Likewise, keeping the Vineís definition in mind I realize that I am not responsible for every known need I encounter. Guilt is relieved as I realize that if I recognize a need and am able to address it, there is true blessing in so doing. Conversely, there is no need for guilt when I cannot meet the need.

The best example in history of true mercy is Christís choice to die for the sin of the world. Each of us have a true need to be relieved of our sin so that we can be reunited with God. Jesus Christ is the only person in history who was able to meet this need for each of us. He showed great mercy when He suffered as payment for sin so that those of us who could not do this for ourselves might be saved.

Do you need mercy?
Facebook Twitter Submit "Blessed are the Merciful for they will be shown mercy" to Digg Submit "Blessed are the Merciful for they will be shown mercy" to del.icio.us Submit "Blessed are the Merciful for they will be shown mercy" to StumbleUpon Submit "Blessed are the Merciful for they will be shown mercy" to Google
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3074 Comments 0 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks