ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > Blogs > meadd823
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Rate this Entry

The Labels we carry – are they good, bad or do they matter

Posted 05-06-08 at 06:54 AM by meadd823

In a recent discussion

{Forcing opinions on others}Why are there so many anti-drug treatment people on here?

I was in the notion that there are people who are placed into categories became apparent. I think we have know this for some time however the discussion finally allowed this knowledge to be openly discussed for the first time that I am aware of.

The particular labels in question are those referred to as “anti-medication” and “pro-medication” . In the beginning of the discussion it was post that were labeled “anti-medication” however when the entire post was read it became apparently that the author was referring not just to a post but a type of person who responded to post requesting information about medications with responses that discouraged the use of medication entirely.

An excellent point
also brought up many do not like labels and feel the application of such categories is not a good thing. Although I respect the person who expressed this “anti-label” point of view. I certainly can relate to a difficulty in labeling and categorizing stuff never mind people

I really agree with the idea but then again I sort of don’t because some thing doesn’t seem right, there seems to be a missing piece some where.

Labels can be bad and used in very bad ways – racial labeling has been use to cause a great deal of harm so has labels referring to sexual preferences age and religious beliefs. In the end is there really any one who can claim to be “label free”?

If labels are inherently bad why continue the practice.

Hmm isn’t this an ADD community – how did so many people end up finding this place. I some times read the profiles of members and one of the most common ways members find us in via Google search. They were searching for an ADD community ????? If we completely eliminated labels like pro-medication and anti-medication then ADD would cease to be also because it too is a label. If it were for the label of ADD then we would never have found each other – so how can labels be all bad if they allow people who share a certain trait to find each other?

Labels are not good or bad in themselves but how we use these labels in our interactions with others that makes that determination and even Maybe it isn’t the label that becomes negative only the behavior generated by those who fear the diversity that the many variations of labels force us to see.

Or is there any diversity at all to which such a thing as labels need to exist?

Moral Philosophy Meets Social Psychology

Stereotype Directionality and Attractiveness Stereotyping: Is Beauty Good or is Ugly Bad?

Self-efficacy changes in groups: effects of
diversity, leadership, and group climate

effects of labeling students learning disabled

Labeling Theory
Facebook Twitter Submit "The Labels we carry – are they good, bad or do they matter" to Digg Submit "The Labels we carry – are they good, bad or do they matter" to del.icio.us Submit "The Labels we carry – are they good, bad or do they matter" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Labels we carry – are they good, bad or do they matter" to Google
Views 2098 Comments 2 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old
    Beautiful! Beautiful! I was just commenting to a friend of mine about Labels. I was discussing the parallels between those of us who were branded with this, no questions asked at a young age, and those of who seek it out themselves later in life. What is the meaning? Is it because this world believes that a pill can fix it? Is it for peace of mind? I like what you said about like minds coming together. Indeed labels do in some way bring about community. I believe there are good communities and bad ones. I think really understanding ADD and creating a community environment such as this, helps us peel that label right off, and allows us to be who we are. No labels. Only people.

I need your help. Read my blog from today if you get around to it. I am sick of this "label" being my crutch in this world. I want to peel it off. Peace.
  2. Old
    Quote:
    I need your help. Read my blog from today if you get around to it. I am sick of this "label" being my crutch in this world. I want to peel it off. Peace.
    Sorry the response took a while I ahve been out of town - my daughter just had a baby.

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks