ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > Blogs > bntfrost
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Rate this Entry

First time reaching out

Posted 09-21-08 at 11:54 AM by bntfrost
My son is almost 9 and we are beginning to wonder if he might have ADD.
He does not seem to have any hyperactivity issues.
His main difficulty has been staying focused in school. Every year since Kindergarten this is the main concern of his teachers.
They say "he knows the answers and seems very bright, but becomes distracted very very easily".
He is a wonderful reader and is on target for speed and accuracy...but struggles hard with comprehending a single chapter at a time.
He becomes frustrated all the time about everything! He hates homework (which we fight every day about).
There are some video games that require a good amount of concentration - and he does excellent! So my husband wonders if he only wants to do what he enjoys.
Back to school stuff....my son is a top notch speller. He will study for an hour and spell 20 words exactly and then ace the test. When they have a reading comp test he almost always gets a D or F.
At home we have good days and more difficult ones. Some days I feel I am repeating myself ALL the time. Other fewer days he is following instruction real well.
This is all very frustrating. We do not want to make any assumptions and certainly don't want to treat him medically if he is just a typical 8 year boy who would rather play outside than be in school.
Any suggestions?
Is there any specifics that we might want to be looking for or be documenting?
Facebook Twitter Submit "First time reaching out" to Digg Submit "First time reaching out" to del.icio.us Submit "First time reaching out" to StumbleUpon Submit "First time reaching out" to Google
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1616 Comments 3 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old
    Have there been any big changes in his life? Also when I brought up about my speech delay with my psych he said that sort of thing is expected? Is it only certain lessons? Does he have neat hand writting? I guess if you ask all of them, also maybe find a local group?
  2. Old
    No there have been no changes. He struggles mostly with reading comprehension and a little math. He simply does not want to do anything that requires a little time and focus. His handwriting is perfectly age appropriate.
    When he really makes an effort (slows down, reads directions, etc) he does wonderful work.
  3. Old
    Well a doctor might be able to help you, or an educational psychatrist? (I think in america they're more readily availible I don;t know.)

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks