ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > Blogs > ADHD - an alternate view
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

July 15 2011
There are two ways of viewing the question of ADHD. One is that of a discrete disease entity caused primarily by genetic causation (the Vulnerability Hypothesis).

The other is that the genetic contribution to ADHD does not encode an inevitable predisposition to dysfunction but that the dysfunction in ADHD is due to a mismatch between the temperamental differences encoded by our genetic heritage and current environmental conditions as defined by the way our society currently chooses to do business (The Sensitivity Hypothesis).

I believe that there are numerous flaws in the reasoning that increasingly emphasises genetic causation and neglects epigenetic causation (up to and including transient psychosocial aspects of epigenetic causation). Not only is this position intellectually flawed, but it is a bad idea for any person to believe this sort of idea about themselves.

The suggestibility of human beings, our vulnerability to negative thinking, the ease with which we can be conditioned by the mainstream consensus are well known- how else do we explain the many atrocities committed by members of apparently civilised societies?

In this context, one of the most critical positive health practices that any of us can learn is that of not accepting negative labeling such as the negative stereotyping involved in the vulnerability hypothesis of the genetics of ADHD.

I believe there are many reasons for believing that the biomedical establishment is so deeply entrenched in its current ways of thinking that it cannot even appreciate the flaws in its own logic.

These flaws are increasingly being pointed out by many psychiatric commentators , such as Allen Frances, the editor in chief of DSM IV.
They have also been highlighted by the many researchers who have a more general view of psychology and are not over invested in the diagnostic criteria as defined by DSM.
Uncategorized Entries with no category
Old

Statement on my medical Registration as of 14 Feb 2016

Posted 02-13-16 at 04:37 PM by Kunga Dorji (ADHD - an alternate view)
Updated 02-13-16 at 06:17 PM by namazu (ADDF guidelines prohibit sharing identifying information.)
Dear all,

Here is my blog:
https://atlassubluxation.wordpress.com/

I direct your attention to the Australian Health Practitioners Registration Authority page covering my medical registration:
All of you should by now be aware that my licence to practice has been suspended by the Victorian Medical Board.

http://www.ahpra.gov.au/Registration...titioners.aspx

and

http://www.ahpra.gov.au/Registration...titioners.aspx...
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

What's in a name?

Posted 12-04-13 at 08:51 AM by Kunga Dorji (ADHD - an alternate view)
It is a fundamental understanding within Buddhism that our identity is completely fluid, and that out potential as sentient beings is infinite.

However, we find ourselves limited and typecast by our names, and people's expectations of us (based on their previous experience of us).

I have been going through a pretty tumultuous time for the past few years, and, especially since my diagnosis with ADHD, have changed enormously.

In many ways, the person I was when...
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
Posted in Uncategorized