ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > Blogs > anonone
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Rate this Entry

What made reading so hard for me growing up and now (that I can tell)

Posted 10-07-08 at 11:14 PM by anonone
(If you're eager to try out some excercizes I've come up with, skip to the 4th or 5th post down)

(I gotta say this somewhere so I'm goona say it here: Take my grammar advice with a grain of salt; search online for credible looking pages.
Note that I've left some things out, when defining grammar mechanics.)

Quick Tips for reading better:

=================== (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57407 for more descriptions of my case)

Stimulants:
a. Gets some decent reading attempts out of me.
b. Feel like playing less, and working more.
c. Aversion to text is diminished (it can seriously make me nausious)
d. THOUGH stimulants make reading take longer.. things don't connect the second I see the word the way things do off the stims...

Readers / reading glasses:
a. Makes words bigger; decreases eye strain and discomfort (age independant).
b. (They're like my "I'm desperate" glasses for when I need to study for a final).
c. They make further away things blurry; navigating to something else to do becomes just as challenging as doing homework. Looking away from work is reduced too.

Select good contrast conditions
x) Eliminate overly bright / reflecting objects in your periferial. Adjust your monitor so switching between looking at text on it and text on a sheet of real paper requires no adjustment of your eyes. Adjust the monitor to be even darker if text apears to "shake or tremble."
a. Aleviates squint
b. Removes "shaking" or "trembling" text, allowing for speed reading.

Reciting Speeches
a. Practices your speaking ability (which, if you're like me, you rely on it heavily when reading naturally)
b. Sets a target minimum reading rate (key to advancing)

Audio Books (maybe helpful)
a. Practices your 'listening' ability.

Proper reading posture:
x) Tilt your head back to relax your neck and eyes. The blood can pool in your forhead after a while and needs to be serculated by these means as well. Keep your head as level as possible, and the material as far away from your eyes as possible.
a. Increased eye control
b. Clearer thinking

Proper Eye Environment Care: See the Xs for details... will link someday...
x) Dust your room, use a humidifier / dehumidifier, and keep your eyes closed when you don't need them. Also concider a hat / indoor glasses if you have bangs.
[color="Navy"]x) REST YOUR EYES every 20 mins or so. look off at distant things and close eyes completely.

a. Eyes can remain open for longer
b. Urge to squint is gone
c. Increased control of eyes / easier to read
d. Overall improved concentration (and less daydreaming? Maybe a tad.)

Eye Aerobics (WARNING: Be VERY careful with your eyes! I don't do eye excercises on a regular basis anymore, and never did them more than once a day! Talk to a pro or search for other resources if you want to try these excercises out.)
x) excercizing your eye muscles.
a. Build the strength of your eyes (gently please)
b. Better control of your eyes (word finding).

~~link needed / bring down to main~~
...Eye Aerobics is where you look at a far away object and then near for 8 second holds, or 1 second holds, etc. You can also look and hold in specific directions (the 8 directions of the eye). Be careful and take it easy, this is really a lot of work for the eye and shouldn't be done more than once per day I'd say.

There's also your pereferial vision, which needs to be excercized too (I think, not 100% sure though).

There are other, more creative, ways to work out your eyes though too. Here's some examples:

-Playing Dr. Mario (using perefrial vision to see next pill with smallish screen!),
-$$EyeQ$$ a computer program,
-Watching TV from corner of eye by tilting head for 8 seconds and then resting 10.

=============

*Preface
I think it's true that, generally for everyone, if you read at the same rate as me, or your kid for that matter, you probably wouldn't want to bother with reading either. Discover his words per minute and then try to read at that speed for yourself. It's a pretty inefficient way to use your time. I often skip the books completely, and just read the bolds and answer questions in the back of the book. This method is the most efficient use of my time when studying. I can easily spend two or so hours reading a chapter, with out taking the time to stop and make sure i'm comprehending everything, and when all that's done, I will be no more knowledgable about the chapter than I was when I first started reading. And if I take the time to stop and comprehend everything it could easily take 7 or 8 hours. That's too much for me to commit, I just don't have enough of that resource to spend like this...

*Gauge the situation (let them)
So anyway, one thing I gotta recomend is actually ask your kid (or self) why that entity doesn't like reading in a casual tone (as opposed to confrontationally). Give them something to read after you ask like a news paper clipping of something that might be of interest or humorous; that way he can check for himself and doesn't rush out a quick answer like "I just don't like it" for the sake of a response. Most aversions we act upon are realized only at a subconcious level (I made that up just now, but it makes for a good sentence about reading problems, and could very well be true).

Here are some of my answers and research on the subject...

::RESEARCH ON WHY I DON"T LIKE READING::
(I'm going to attach a .docx too, cause it looks pretty. It contains the below material.)

Trouble with reading
an index:
1. Short term memory problem
2. Wandering focus
2.5 randomly getting dazed
3. Eyes stinging
4. Eyes going out of focus
5. floaters in my eye
6. I lose my place in sentences
7. It just feels uncomfortable for my eyes to be focused on words... The words shake. that means change contrast ratio, turn on a lamp or lower the brightness of the screen.

8. Getting hung up on the words that I: don't know the definition to, look like they may be spelled wrong, have a suprizing spelling that I figure I should take a few seconds to study.
9. Not trying to read fast, or rather, being content with taking an unnecisary amount of time each word.
10. Double, triple, and quadrupal checking words, just to verify that they are what I think they are (over 70% of the time they are anyway, so I should just stop caring)

11. Reading used to make me really anxious because it reminded me of reading in public which was awfull and I don't even wanna comment on it. **** english classes. It wasn't until prepairing speaches and reading (speaking them from memory) them in class until I no longer felt that anxiety I used to feel when ever I read alone.

-Short term memory… putting it all together

Some times I just can’t keep the whole sentence in my head long enough to get to the period, and force it to make sense.

I believe this happens when reading the wrong way. By default, I read by mentally sounding things out accessing the verbal part of the brain and using echoic memory to record the text. The fast way of reading bypasses this, so in effect, you would only have to deal with retrieving information from the iconic buffer and immediatly putting it to sense.

It's my experience that short term memory is disrupted by adderall... or something to the effect of percieving short term memory problems is caused. I think it's a temporary side effect. Short term memory may be enhanced by fish oil.

Begin trouble sentences

I remember being very young, I had HUGE problems with reading because it didn’t make sense to me, the sentences I was reading. I would only read up to the point where it didn’t make sense and stop because “****in a, this doesn’t make sense. Is this a typo or something?” And I would read it again and again but to no avail. A sentence like “I just got to the mall. The smell of cookies in your grandma's kitchen~!~ was still in my nose.” And I might stop at the ~!~ marking and say, HEY isn’t the person in the mall, now they’re talking about being in a kitchen again.” That’s probably a bad example, here’s a better one. The sentence would start out in an unexpected way… Like it would phrase things oddly… And it would not make sense until you read the last 2 or 3 words, but the only problem was I couldn’t get to those words.

“Figure out how to get the protein where inside the body_ I want it in the first place.” This sentence is kinda just a bad one, but remaniscent of what I might find in bad books. Notice how awkward the sentence is if you stop at the underscore. This could really through me off. I would read up until the underscore and then be expecting a place, but instead I find the question "where" posed.

(More examples like this are below)

Wandering focus
This topic covers daydreams, contemplating something other than the words your reading, and visualizing things.
I do this a lot when I’m reading. The Adderall maybe helps with this, but I still get it very bad. I feel it’s partly due to my motivation. I don’t truly want to read the text, and so my mind does what it wants, which is contemplate some other, greater thing. I feel like I can get into reading anything that I want to, if it is in fact something I want to read about, for instance I read http://learnlinux.tsf.org.za/courses...n/ch03s06.html up till “As opposed to hubs, switches were much faster, there was less contention but they were also much more expensive.” With ease. I probably read it slowly, but I didn’t have too great a problem in comprehending it.
Facebook Twitter Submit "What made reading so hard for me growing up and now (that I can tell)" to Digg Submit "What made reading so hard for me growing up and now (that I can tell)" to del.icio.us Submit "What made reading so hard for me growing up and now (that I can tell)" to StumbleUpon Submit "What made reading so hard for me growing up and now (that I can tell)" to Google
Views 3438 Comments 4 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 4

Comments

1. Old
    More problems with reading

on reading fast
    Maybe I should practice reading fast, and not caring about comprehension, so as to practice my eyes at reading, that way 'there will be one less bottle neck' for me to have to deal with.

(caffine seems to help the first day when I also take adderall).

-----------------

Different components of sentences that could be memorized to improve reading speed.

LISTS ex 1

Here's a sentence that threw me off for a long *** time.

(this text taken from a flash card that had a vocab word on the front)
    "[big term is] A plan that links the new-product development process with the objectives of the marketing department, the business unit, and the corporation."

Now, the problem with this one is the list. It lists 3 things at the end. My first intuition told me to insert a colen (begin the first list member) after "with:"... so the first item then would be "the objectives of the marketing department", and the next independent item would be "the business unit". This is an error, the list begins after "with the objectives of:" and so that string is then inserted before each list member. The list members are correctly interpretted as "the objectives of the marketing department," "the objectives of the business unit," and "the objectives of the corporation."
    Took a long *** time of daydreaming and struggling before I figured that one out. I guess it's a style choice. I sometimes put in semi-colons although it looks wrong and awkward. To write the sentence properly I would insert numbers (ex. "1) bla 2) blaa 3) blaaa") or now that I notice how ambiguious it is I would concider more extreme alternatives like "with the objectives of the three following entities: the marketing dept., the business unit, and the corp." Idk. I see this problem a lot in text books.

This kind of writing works in the verbal realm because we use intonation to "paranthasetically" divide the three items appropriately, but I personally would concider it bad form to do it in the written world with out provided division information.

second... The list of 3 different things is actually just reapting the idea of linking the above mentions "process" to "the objectives..." and then placing 'the objectives' in 3 different contexts that don't really add anything to what the sentence is communicating... Just filler... You could look at it as if "no objectives in one context may conflict with objectives of another list member..." but no ****, the list of three is redundant by two (or atleast redundant enough to not justify the sloppy sentence)... This threw me off because I was trying and trying to gleen some kind of elaberation from the additional list members when they weren't really elaborating the point of the sentence, just cluttering it. A lame thing to have to read, but I guess it happens. Perhaps 'true' English would have made use of an adjective. "the objectives equally inherint in[list]" though I can't say this makes the sentence more legible exactly, should just leave out the statement that "the objectives of these 3 may not conflict" for another sentence, or none at all really.

Note to self: I think I just found a term I was seeking for a long time, "relative clauses" and their associated nouns... turns out I'm thinking about "noun phrases" actually.

Examples and analysis of problematic sentence complications

Example:
    “The pain in my hands, I now realize, somewhat lines up along with where my blood viens are in my hands." This sentence probably sucks for everyone becuase it's got so many prepositions. One preposition per sentance is about the max I can take without having to re-read. Having no preposition is preferable, but that is not always a possibility.

Another example:
    The word "while" can throw me off... maybe other words like it too. Because there's different things it's used for...

Another:
    The word "live"... I always read "ly-vv", but sometimes it's meant to be "li-vv", like in this sentance "I wanted to live in the city." Read it the bad way and you will see, it feels very uncomfortable, disorientingly so for me.

Another:
    > and < symbols. In the begining they were just symbols and could not be pronounced, now I always say greater than or "less than" whenever I see them in sentances. The trick was thinking of it like... "Is the first thing I read of the symbol a 'great distance between two lines?' then think great." and if not I would 'think less than' of course.

Another: Conditions that lead to “then”s AND the subject is described in the first part of the sentence.. then described further… so… like… in this case, the final description is described by the preceding description. It’s unnatural to me (the final, narrowing description should precede the first one in the example below, but the method used below is considerably more potent than in the sentence where I used it above because the preceding sentence was… I don’t even know, I’m getting sleepy and I wanna finish cleaning my closet).

"If the first thing I read of a symbol is a great distance between two lines then I consider the symbol equivelent to the words "greater than".

There's two things wrong with this sentance. First... the subject of the sentence is a description "a great distance between two lines" rather than a single word like "a gap". The added words make the sentence longer, which sux for me cause I'm likely to forget the begining of the sentence, plus I find myself getting off track in a way where I can't differentiate all of the words that make up the actual subject from the words of the rest of the sentence. Personally when ever I write, and I need a description on an object that I am describing I will insert single quote marks around the description when I'm the one doing the writing. When reading I will sometimes quote other peoples descriptions if it takes me more than three attempts to read the sentence.

The second thing that bugged me about that sentence was the fact that it was an "if / then" sentence. I will sometimes add a comma after the preceding if statement's condition (right before the "then"). It's not a universal convention, so I will usually be hesitant to leave it in on the final draft of something i'm writing (even though I draw my convention in when I'm reading other peoples messes).

Another:
    “Personally, whenever I write and I need a description on an object that” Sometimes I forget a sister condition can follow that first “and” in the sentence, and I believe the sentence is a big typo because I assume the words before the “and” should make up a complete sentence. I used to end up re-reading the first four words of the sentence and try to get them to make sense for a while, and end up getting very frustrated with myself for not being able to.

Another example:??? ... there's more

The way to get around reading some of these is to read the whole sentence, and then put it together, but that can be impossible for me at some times if short term memory just doesn't feel like hanging onto it all. When I take Adderall it gets much better. Magnesium too possibly and fish oil… I’d have to test it to be sure.

Another Example
    http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/gramm...htm#appositive
    "What did you bring that book that I don't like to be read to out of up for?"

The noun phrase in there is "that book that I don't like to be read to out of" and is to be taken as one thing.. one idea, which is butcheringly confusing. Realistically it can be shortened to just "that book" if the context is set up appropriately. If the context is not, then clearly that is an imperative thing to do in order to effectively convey this thought.
  2. Old
    Observations in progress / semi-observed

We do different things when reading different types of things...

I was just attempting to get something out of my speed reading, and I noticed that one thing I read... I didn't quite put it together. It was a location, I read the below sentence, and i'm talking about the south america part.

"Germany and Japan, two of the staunchest adherents to the historical cost principle, have historically experienced very little inflation. However, some South American countries, ravaged by inflation problems for years, long ago abandoned any attachment to strict historical cost."

I understood that it was a location, but I had to kindof let it sit in a buffer in my mind and think "what is this place" and I think my process was skip the 'south' part, where is America and I'm US so I automatically thought of just the states, and then I thought "now through in the south" and then my visual picture of the states literally scrolled down to where the shape of south america was. Immediately after, I think I thought the word Brazil too.

When I buffered the word "South America" and tried to place it, I did so while continuing to read, and I'm not exactly sure, but I think I was still getting the rest of the sentence even though my mind was technically wondering (trying to place what the noun South America was).

We probably do something similar when we read peoples names, or races or tribes, or classes or any noun,

But I wonder if we do it for nouns we're really firmilure with. What about the noun "problem"? I'd have to catch myself naturally reading it.

What about nouns like 'factors', 'limits', 'extensions'? I think I just thought of a metal branch extending a 'thing / host' further away from camera for extensions?? I'll have to journal when reading or something to catch this sort of thinking in the genuine act.

Reading form
    http://www.healthycomputing.com/office/setup/monitor/
    -Be comfy and with out strain in any muscles (possible do some shoulder excercises if you can't seem to get comfortable).
    -Don't move your head even a little, just move your eyes --it's easy to forget this when you're over stressed, and the small movements of your head only add an additional factor to the coordination equation.
    -Make sure your eyes feel good. If it's too dry, allergens are in the air, or it's too bright you need to deal with this first before you can expect to have yourself a good read.
    -Convince yourself that this is what you want to do for the next 2hrs, and that it's very good use of your time (critical!).

On reading fast (two kinds, poetic and practical)

-Poetic Reading
    There's two ways I can read text apparently. The first (my default) is to look at a word, sound it in my head (the tonge twitching occationally out of habit), wait for the sounding to stop in my head, then move my eyes to the next word over (my eyes naturally go out of focus when they switch words, btw). This method is acceptable for reading rhythmic poetry (like shakespear and Dr. Suece).

The major drawback to this type of reading is that it is much more grammar and spellcheck sensative. I notice that I expirience some form of schitoma when reading this style too (I will elaborate). When I read a word, and sound it in my head, I am basically creating two ties to the same idea 1) the visual text and 2) the phonetic pronounciation I will have made in my head. This can lead to problems, because it is possible to be looking at a word, and mistakenly pronounce a different word in my head... (possibly the next word over was spoken instead of the correct one or, more commonly, the word seen is mistaken for another word...) anyway, this "double input" phenomenon equates to more work expended (it takes mental energy to vocally pronounce something in your mind) and more channles to pay attention to (because you're both listening and reading at the same time).

People with dyslexia have problems with just reading the words, and as a coping mechanism they are told to sound them out. This works, but it's a work around, and is not as effective nor is it practical, in real life situations. I think I must have some contributional level of dyslexia which is what originally lead me to such an inefficient method of reading. Now in later years of my life I believe it is worth the effort of training myself into reading in a more efficient manor.

-Practical Reading
    The second way to read (speed reading I would imagine) goes like this: Look at a word and before i've sounded it out (or even fully "fixed" my vision stabley) I look at the next word over, and again, before my vision is 100% stable I move onward and onward. At first this doesn't work at all, but after a sentence of practice I get ok at it (~70% accurate I'd say) and that's enough to skim, and determine parts of the text where I would like to stop and read slowly in order to get important information from them.

When reading this second way I usually need to explicatly calm down and tell my self "there's no rush." After I calm down, things aren't so jumpy, and my eyes move more {like water}.

I'm focusing on refraining from actively generating any thoughts after I read a word.. A "reward" thought, or "task complete" thought often ends my reading of a single word, and also will be followed by a vocalization thought (pronouncing the word in my head). I believe these thoughts distract greatly from the sentence and paragraph as a whole, and so should be avoided.

Pausing at all commas and periods is another bad habit of mine. Periods and commas should be used to help you put the data on the page into a relational hirarchy; they should not govern, in any way, the speed or cadence of what you're reading.

A long time ago someone mentioned to me that it's not possible to look at a page of writing without reading a word. It's this type of passive reading that I believe is critical of practical reading. Reading a single word should not take any energy; it's putting the sentence together that should be focused on mentally.

Technicality reading
    For me, reading economics documents is way different from reading casual material, and even other text book material. Sentences about increases and decreases in specific things that lead to increases or decreases in other things is complicated and abstract, so maybe technicality reading deserves a bold header of it's own.

Philosophy on Practical reading
    At first it's not very practical at all. None of it connects with me, but over time more and more has been connecting, I would assume from practice. My skill at adjusting my eyes along lines of text while being able to see each word has improved. Whether I can realistically interperet at this speed is entirely beside the point; the point is to build the skills of your physical eyes, and your mental site reading / word recognizing.. After you build this your weakest link will be your rate of comprehention and that's when you start to see an improvement in that.

-Establish the habit of moving your eyes smoothish, from left to right; not skipping over too many words, not slowing down for skipped ones.

-Establish the habit of your eyes, keeping the correct focus at all times as you're skimming cross the page.

-Stop "trying" to read and just focus on putting the words in your sights (for a split second) and cruising passively --hopefully you'll be able to guess the meanings of the sentences / paragraphs as you come to the ends of them.

At the very least, getting my eyes to register each word (at a fast rate) is tremendously the key. In fact, that's all I'm aiming for when I'm just practicing (reading the boards). If I see every word in the right order.. it's like I pick up the subconcious hint of the meaning, and for most casual reading / page skimming, that's more than enough.
  3. Old

Study factors

Factors to Study
    When reading sentences, some things must be studied and readily understood in order to achieve proper reading flow.

1) You need to be able to mentally organize a sentence and divide it into very specific, logical parts. To do this study things like: ...

The differnce between the conjuctions "and" "or" ", and" ", or" and the WILDLY different ways in which they change a sentence. I used to assume that, whenever I saw the word "and" it ment that I could assume that the words that followed could usually be taken as an independant thought. The thing to look for, of course, is the comma. If and only if a comma is present, should you assume the two sentences are independent. This just butchered my reading flow for a long time if you can believe that, I mean, I learned how commas are used, but I basically read them in one context (seperating two independant clauses).

2) Recognize verbs and expected prepositions... That is to say...

"I will provide you with an example." In the quoted sentence I used the verb 'provide' and the preposition 'with'. To increase your speed, you should recognize that when you see the verb provide that you can be expecting the preposition 'with' somewhere down the road. For me, words like 'with' can unnecisarily consume time as I destiguish it from other similar small words.

3) Recognize noun phrases. Such as...

"Take a moment to look at that book that I stole from your mother now.

In the above sentence, the underlined phrase is a noun phrase... They're not uncommon in text books, and can manifest themselves into very long sentences that should really be avoided, but sometimes they leave them in and you get to deal with them. If a noun phrases deals with a concept, study that concept and the concept in the form of it's noun phrase; you'll find that they give you much less trouble.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handou...r/g_comma.html

Commas: when reading them, understand that they are doing 1 of ~4 important things:

They are segragating an opening conditional phrase or a preposition from the rest of the sentence (while, because, if, when, under the X, etc...),

They are separating a list of things (like this list),

They are dividing a sentence in half (into two independant parts), (look for an "and" / "or" and also check that it's not the end of a list. Also, be sure to check that the "and" / "or" isn't actually apart of a parenthetical statement --in which case a comma would precede the "or," yet the following words would not be concidered independant.)

Or they are setting apart paranthetical phrases (things that can be taken out of the sentence and have the sentence still make sence).

"And"s: These can be conjunctions between independant clauses, or conjunctions between two ideas (or mark the last idea of a list of ideas). They can also be apart of names.

", which" and "that"
    These two words aren't synonyms, aparently (and it really only troubles me when writing), but I thought I would list the distinction here cause it occured to me while typing.

http://www.virtualsalt.com/conjunct.htm
    conjunctive adverbs
    The list of conjunctions doesn't stop at just "and / or / yet / etc" there are adverbs that act conjunctively too, and should be readily recognizable as such, by the glance of a sentence.

http://www.virtualsalt.com/semicoln.htm
    Semi-colons
    Lets face it, we have a lot of thoughts interjecting themselves into our minds, and it shows in my writing. Not knowing how to deal with the division of these sorts of thought can lead to your avoidance of representing them at all. That's what happened to me, and so I was left with using elaborat sentences spairingly, and just using periods --which is a reasonable aproach, because it leads to the creation of sentences which are easier for me to read (the shorter / indipendanter is the better for me). But this method is not ideal for two reasons:
    1) People with healthier short term memory find the occational long sentence to be refreshing, and
    2) It takes longer to get our thoughts out if we have to keep stopping and starting up new sentences... Ambiguity of the connections between pronouns and their intended subjects can also be problematic when using short sentences too much (although, note, in many cases, the shorter sentence style is by far prefered).

When you need to seperate two contrasting clauses, use a semi-colon. Here's an example:
    "Life is confusing; use semi-colons."
    Those are two clauses, and they lose meaning if concidered to be taken as two completely seperate thoughts (so no periods). You can't just use a comma cause, ...oh nevermind, just read the link or search all their uses, i'm only describing the best parts of them here...

Also use them when there are other commas near by (which would cause some confusion; the reader might confuse them as paranthetical commas)

If you have a list of things divided by commas and the list of things is long (and contains inbedded commas), use semi-colins to divide the list items instead.

If you feel the need, you also have "--" at your disposal as well as parenthasis to set divide sentences. Search for details but.. "--" is reserved for wild, semi-off task parts.. and parenthasis should be used if near commas or to further describe something that you don't want complicated with commas.

You may also notice the use of "..." and ".." on the web. "..." or elipsise can be taken to represent you losing your place, ending your thought on a less-than-finalizing note (often seen on web forums representing anoyance), or to show a pause in the flow of the writing. I don't think ".." has an official name, but I use them on the web (when in a slightly informal narrative voice) to indicate that I am struggling for the words to say next. I use them because I see them as emotionally isolated from the annoyance often conveyed with elipsize.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...h_prepositions
    Verbs and their expected preposition words
    When you read a verb that implies an action upon two seperate things, then a specific relational preposition is expected. For example:

"differentiate", "seperate", "divide", etc. (whenever you make to things apart from each other) calls for a "From"[/b]

join calls for a "to"

Separate and "sep-ret"
    The pronounciation of certain words changes depending on their usage. If you mean the verb seperate, it is pronounced just how it is spelled; if you mean the adjective seperate, then you pronounce it as "sep-ret." To get better at this, you will need to keep track of whether you expect this word to be a verb or not. This is easy I think, if you're reading fast enough, but it's hard to explain. It's a verb (I guess) if the subject or object is nearby?...

The word "the" and "tha" are a similar case, to get better at it, though, you must practice reading "the" as well as the word that comes next.
  4. Old
    Excercizes that can help with reading

::Reading out loud practice
    Theory - Reading out loud in front of people has always sucked. After a little analysis, reading out loud is easy, ONLY IF I'M READING AHEAD AND SPEAKING BEHIND. That is to say, I should be reading things that my eyes glanced over about 2-5 seconds ago, and while I'm speaking out loud, I'm actually reading stuff I'm going to be saying in a few seconds. I'm 90% sure this is the way the normies do it, now the challenge for me is that my short term memory is pretty inacurate.. But that can change, it can get better by practicing, and lucky for me and you I came up with an ok excercize.

Excercise - Read poetry that is seperated into short colums (columns of no more than 4 or 5 words)... Read the first line in your head, cover up the line, and then speak aloud the line. Repeat this for the whole poem. After a while, push yourself to multi-task speaking the first line while reading the second line.
    I haven't mastered it yet, nor have I given it much time to practice, but I plan to before any reading engaugements I may have in the future.
    ::Reading faster

Theory - reading for me is tough, I dwel alot on sentences, never pushing myself. I notice that if I stop caring so much about getting the meaning of the sentence the first time I can excercize my eyes; get them comfortable with moving quickly.. And I can also excercise my mind, getting it more comfortable with translating words quicker.

Excercize - JUST STOP CARING ABOUT GETTING THE SENTENCE. Go through a paragraph as quick as possible, and have no intent what-so-ever to understand the meaning of it. Keep a news ticker on your google deskbar and every time you see a new report, click it and skim through it as quickly as you can, trying simply to just put into focus every word (or atleast ~80% of the words).
    This is a good skill, even though it's academic. I'm better at it, odly enough, when on stims.
    Exercises for parents and small children aparently

::Short Paragraph game/s

Theory - Parents can help get their kids comfortable with reading. If you're not an ideal teacher for their style, obviously this could backfire severly. Anyway, to do this, you might have your kid read short simple things, and answer short simple questions on the short simple reads they've been handed (lol).

Exercise- The child is given a short, age apropriate paragraph to read to themselves. They are afterward expected to say what it's topic is. (when this gets boring, a timer with a ticker might be motivating, as would acting excited, and dinner rewards {oh yes, postponed gratifaction shall be employed})

After they pass the "topic test" (and if not it should of course be analysed outloud by the guide, as if it's their first time reading it, sentence by sentence, pointing out the objects and subjects, and they're relationships ie: is it about water hoses, or is it in fact about gardening, or could you say yard work, or maybe even about how flowers need water, etc, etc)

...Yeah, after they do indead pass the "topic test" then they can be quized on the material. They will be called on to answer the question from memory. They should also be asked a question that calls for them to find a passage and quote it verbatum; the child must be able to locate a sentence and read it aloud (this is slightly older kid stuff, like 7 or 8 I bet)... the question they are asked must be very readily answered with a quote.
    Notes to self: I could turn this into an actual board game for parents and young kids if I had any free time. I'd need to devize a way to make it fun for second and third children to be entertained while the one kid is put on the spot.. maybe a timer for them, until they can help out and give hints.

:: Child reads the short words (3-4 letters) [Sight reading]

Theory: Reading by sounding out every word is awfully boring, so to make things easier on a struggling reader one might consider getting them really good at reading the small words (ex: the, it, in, is, they, their, all contracted words, you, with, will, can, etc.!)

Once the kid has those words in the bag, reading will be a little easier for them, and more fun!

Excercise: Find something the kid enjoys a little (like video games) and read everything for him except for words that are 3 letters or less. Then work up to bigger words.

For very common words that are long, such as "painting", you write those down on a scratch sheet of paper and have him recognize that he should read them too! please note that you may have to point to each sylybol that your reading and read slow to get his eyes to track with you.

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks