ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > Blogs > Song of Mercy
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Rate this Entry

Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth part 2

Posted 05-16-09 at 05:53 PM by Song of Mercy
I had fun learning about the second half of this verse. Though I said in my preceding blog we were only going to cover the word inherit, as I studied I decided that it would be best to include the final phrase ‘the earth’ as well.

So to begin, let’s talk about the first phrase ‘they will inherit.’ The most important thing to consider in this phrase is the speaker and audience frame of reference. Jesus and His followers had heard this phrase many times. It is from the Old Testament and means to partake of eternal salvation in the Messiah’s kingdom. It was commonly associated with the idea that when the Messiah arrived he would be a conqueror of the land and would establish peace for eternity for the children of God.

As the idea of conquest of the land is already implied in this verse, to inherit would comprise the concept of the earth as an inheritance that is from the Messiah. However, it does not narrow down the many uses of the next phrase ‘the earth.’

To narrow down the meaning, I reviewed the various Greek translations of our target word ‘earth.’ With several possibilities I was uncertain at first which was the correct translations. I was concerned due to the nature of the preceding phrase, particularly the word ‘will.’ Did this word mean will inherit upon the death of Christ or did it refer to the millennial reign? Again it was time to consider the audience. This audience would have understood this verse to mean during the life of the Messiah. Furthermore, they would have understood inheritance to refer to the promise made to Abraham and conferred to the children of Israel based on his death.

Since the idea of inheritance is closely tied to a living messiah I was a bit troubled knowing that Christ was actually referring to His death not Abraham’s. However, the use of the word earth in the second phrase does indeed mean the physical earth that is occupied by man and animal. It specifically does not refer to the earth as separate from heaven. It specifically does not mean earthly possessions or goods. Also, it does not refer to the world as a whole. That left a very narrow number of translations. My conclusion was that since Christ used the reference to the inheritance of the land of Canaan which was parceled by lot, that the correct interpretation was a portion of this physical earth.

Let’s tie all this meandering together. We know that meek is a powerful word that means fully yielded to the will and purposes of God. By virtue of the use of the word blessed we can tie the idea of directly from God as the congratulator of those which are referenced. The term Messiah means a living messiah in the phrase ‘they will inherit.’ The word earth refers to the physical earth which we now posses. My final translation is as follows.

Happy and to be congratulated are those that are yielded before God. Based on their death to self which includes belief in the crucified Messiah who lives in their hearts, they are entitled by inheritance to a parcel of land in this current life. Furthermore, they will be entitled to a portion of the physical earth in eternity during the millennial reign of Christ.

I understand that some of what I have said, including the final translation, is wordy and possibly hard to grasp. Thus, I would encourage a second reading of the concluding translation followed by a second reading of the blog as a whole. Let it sink in and then extend your faith through prayer and petition to believe what is the fullness of your inheritance.

Until next time,

Song
Facebook Twitter Submit "Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth part 2" to Digg Submit "Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth part 2" to del.icio.us Submit "Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth part 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth part 2" to Google
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 5302 Comments 1 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old
    Quote:
    Happy and to be congratulated are those that are yielded before God. Based on their death to self which includes belief in the crucified Messiah who lives in their hearts, they are entitled by inheritance to a parcel of land in this current life. Furthermore, they will be entitled to a portion of the physical earth in eternity during the millennial reign of Christ.

Thank you Song for this Exegesis of the word "meek" as found in the beatitudes. Your Exegesis and the conclusion speak from the intent of the writer to his audience. words still ring true for today. Thank you for sharing and reminding us of this. Kudos!

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks