ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > Blogs > Adapting to ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adapting to ADHD --- It isn't good or bad, it just is what it is
Advice
Old

Is it Acceptable to Fail?

Posted 07-08-13 at 10:22 AM by KCTang (Adapting to ADHD)
Here's a trick question: How low are the standards you set for yourself?

Because I think some of us need to let ourselves set the bar lower.

=======================

One of the best --- and also hardest --- things I do for myself is look at my shoddy productivity and not just forgive, but come to terms that my genetics have predetermined a certain amount of failure.

Failure to motivate. Failure to comprehend instruction. Failure...
Contributor
Posted in Quick Tips , Advice
Old

Dan Gilbert on how we fool ourselves out of Happiness

Posted 04-29-12 at 01:48 PM by KCTang (Adapting to ADHD)
This is a great video I found on happiness.

He explains how it's very subjective, and oftentimes we fool ourselves into thinking an outcome that's logically beneficial is going to make us happy.

I'm really big on shaping our perceptions to help us adapt to whatever circumstances life throws at us.

It's definitely worked for me, and I still push myself this way. Especially when I catch myself focusing on the wrong thing (or my wife points it out to me)...
Contributor
Posted in Advice
Old

Sweets and ADHD

Posted 04-16-12 at 11:29 PM by KCTang (Adapting to ADHD)
I got home from work today to a very cranky baby boy.

Seems he climbed the recliner in his room (a first) and pulled down a box of chocolates and Cadbury mini eggs from the shelving next to it (a 2nd first).

He ate 3 whole pieces of dark chocolate and a couple of the eggs, and by the time I got home, was experiencing the 'crash' that comes after the sugar rush. Doesn't help that he couldn't go down for a nap because of it either.

-----

Contributor
Posted in Advice , Life
Old

The Problem with Fighting ADHD with Effort

Posted 04-12-12 at 02:55 PM by KCTang (Adapting to ADHD)
There has been a number of posts/threads lately that have been echoing the whole "Rah rah --- I'm going to battle my ADHD with effort" type of passion, which is admirable. I can relate to that burning desire to surmount the endless problems caused by our disorder...

But that type of thinking has its limitations and can bring a lot of frustration.

This is just from my own experience, of course. But I've banged my head fighting my ADHD this way, a lot. Now...
Contributor
Posted in Advice