ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Children's Diagnosis & Treatment (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Increased aggression and oppositional behavior (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190476)

PinkOne 02-21-18 10:05 AM

Increased aggression and oppositional behavior

I will try to be as concise as possible, but thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to read through and respond. My husband and I have been trying for years to help our oldest son and the struggle is just getting worse the older he gets instead of better. Our son is adopted and we noticed issues as young as 4 years old. He was diagnosed with ADHD at that age and it has been a roller coaster ride ever since. Since that time instead of things getting easier as he gets older, they have gotten worse. We have gone through so many doctors, shrinks, and psychologists at this point it isn't even funny and we have basically lost any hope that any of them beyond his pediatrician know what they are doing. He has also been diagnosed with Oppositional Defiant Disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, then OCD and most recently, Conduct Disorder. As you can see, the trend is a downward one. He is a liar and a thief and we cannot leave him unattended as he will steal whatever he can from whomever he can.

Most recently at his last appointment with his pediatrician he complained that his medication was wearing off too quickly in the morning and that his lunch time dose was taking too long to take effect. We talked with her a lot and decided to adjust his medication to include a fast acting Ritalin first thing in the morning along with his Risperdal and Paxil, followed by his long acting Concerta before he leaves for school in the hopes that the Ritalin would kick in quickly and the Concerta would carry him through to lunch time at which point he would take an additional Concerta and another Ritalin so that he can stop talking and stay in his seat and not get in trouble with the teachers and not annoy all his peers. So far he says that it seems to make a big difference for him in terms of his ability to not talk out when he shouldn't and in terms of his spazzy, restless behavior being curtailed. Unfortunately, what it also seems to be doing is creating serious issues with increased aggression, irritability, and oppositional behavior.

We do not know if it is coincidence (though I am not much of a believer in coincidence) or if something else is going on that we don't know about, but the time frame matches. Since the adjustments to his medication he has become even more aggressive, argumentative, mouthy, contradictory and oppositional in EVERY way possible. He is getting into more arguments and conflicts with his younger brother (some of which are physically violent) and is in almost constant conflict with his parents. Is this a result of the medication change? Before the medication change he was only taking Ritalin in the afternoons if he needed help focusing for homework or was just generally too scattered and restless and fidgety and spazzy. Does anyone know of, or have experience with, these medications causing this? Aggression and oppositional behavior are not new things for my son but this level is new. We thought we had things balanced out and going on a fairly even keel, but this is getting ridiculous. I am calling his pediatrician today and I guess we will be making another trip to see her to discuss this. I have tried talking to him about his behavior and instead of being receptive to seeing how he is behaving, he is rude and disrespectful and blames everyone else, all of which are part of his diagnoses. It is wearing us down to be quite honest. If he is having a specific difficulty at school he has not told us and all I can think is that the medication is contributing to this behavior change.

Lunacie 02-21-18 04:14 PM

Re: Increased aggression and oppositional behavior

Puberty causes a lot of changes. Could that be a piece of the puzzle?

sarahsweets 02-23-18 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkOne (Post 1986117)
I will try to be as concise as possible, but thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to read through and respond. My husband and I have been trying for years to help our oldest son and the struggle is just getting worse the older he gets instead of better. Our son is adopted and we noticed issues as young as 4 years old. He was diagnosed with ADHD at that age and it has been a roller coaster ride ever since. Since that time instead of things getting easier as he gets older, they have gotten worse. We have gone through so many doctors, shrinks, and psychologists at this point it isn't even funny and we have basically lost any hope that any of them beyond his pediatrician know what they are doing. He has also been diagnosed with Oppositional Defiant Disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, then OCD and most recently, Conduct Disorder. As you can see, the trend is a downward one. He is a liar and a thief and we cannot leave him unattended as he will steal whatever he can from whomever he can.

How old is he now?

Quote:

Most recently at his last appointment with his pediatrician he complained that his medication was wearing off too quickly in the morning and that his lunch time dose was taking too long to take effect. We talked with her a lot and decided to adjust his medication to include a fast acting Ritalin first thing in the morning along with his Risperdal and Paxil, followed by his long acting Concerta before he leaves for school in the hopes that the Ritalin would kick in quickly and the Concerta would carry him through to lunch time at which point he would take an additional Concerta and another Ritalin so that he can stop talking and stay in his seat and not get in trouble with the teachers and not annoy all his peers. So far he says that it seems to make a big difference for him in terms of his ability to not talk out when he shouldn't and in terms of his spazzy, restless behavior being curtailed. Unfortunately, what it also seems to be doing is creating serious issues with increased aggression, irritability, and oppositional behavior.
Has he been on the paxil and risperdal for awhile? What are they for?

Quote:

We do not know if it is coincidence (though I am not much of a believer in coincidence) or if something else is going on that we don't know about, but the time frame matches. Since the adjustments to his medication he has become even more aggressive, argumentative, mouthy, contradictory and oppositional in EVERY way possible. He is getting into more arguments and conflicts with his younger brother (some of which are physically violent) and is in almost constant conflict with his parents. Is this a result of the medication change? Before the medication change he was only taking Ritalin in the afternoons if he needed help focusing for homework or was just generally too scattered and restless and fidgety and spazzy. Does anyone know of, or have experience with, these medications causing this? Aggression and oppositional behavior are not new things for my son but this level is new. We thought we had things balanced out and going on a fairly even keel, but this is getting ridiculous. I am calling his pediatrician today and I guess we will be making another trip to see her to discuss this. I have tried talking to him about his behavior and instead of being receptive to seeing how he is behaving, he is rude and disrespectful and blames everyone else, all of which are part of his diagnoses. It is wearing us down to be quite honest. If he is having a specific difficulty at school he has not told us and all I can think is that the medication is contributing to this behavior change.
Are you sure the peds doc is the right one to be treating your son? I personally would find another psyche doctor because they have extensive experience dealing with these kinds of issues. How old was he when he was adopted? Were you made aware of any issues that were possible during his birth mother's pregnancy?

Lash107 02-28-18 11:30 AM

You mentioned a lot of “spazzy movements”....are any of them involuntary? I don’t have advice to offer you, but Risperdal can cause a permanent condition called Tardive Dyskinesia. Talk to his doctor about TD and have him fully explain what to watch for....

You have your hands full, I wish you the best for you and your family.

If there is a psychiatric hospital that has a mood unit for minors...perhaps they have an outpatient program? Or inpatient? Mood units aren’t for crisis, but are good for med changes, etc. I have bipolar disorder and couldn’t sleep for five straight days, I was having a mixed episode brought on by caretaking stress of my terminally ill father. The psychiatrist was good and...I’d go back, if needed. I mention this as Risperdal is an antipsychotic and is often prescribed for mood disorders.

From what you wrote, it seems like the treatment team is treating him for a mood disorder but also there is leaning towards Cluster B .... when he is an adult. Personality disorders...ASPD, etc.

My ex husband’s brother was adopted....I’m not sure what his mental condition was, but he actually came from a large family and the parents...put him up for adoption. My ex’s mom was an elementary school teacher for kids with special needs.

He apparently was a handful behavior-wise when he was around ten years old. He was adopted when he was four. His behavior was out of control at school, apparently, as well as home. My ex said his parents had him live in a residential group home for a couple of years and it helped. And they loved this boy...they weren’t trying to put him away, so to speak. (I speak of him in past tense, he’s deceased).

I’m sending positive thoughts your way. Please take of YOU, too. I stretched myself too thin being a sole caretaker and that triggered five days of insomnia. Perhaps therapy for your family and individual therapy is needed. Self-care is so important but hard to do when you’re trying to take care of someone. It’s stressful.

Please don’t take this as medical advice, I’m not a doctor. I mainly wanted to mention tardive dyskinesia. Take care.

ryanolivas 04-19-18 01:04 AM

You have to consult it to the phsychiatrist since they're the ones that deal with treatment of mental issues/disorders.