ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Emotional dysregulation - the cascade of frustrated screw-ups (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194276)

Fuzzy12 01-07-19 08:05 PM

Emotional dysregulation - the cascade of frustrated screw-ups

It's just little things with little consequences but i think it's these little daily annoyances that I deal with so badly that ultimate ruin too many of my days and through stress and bad coping mechanisms ruin my health too.

It started with fuzzling taking forever to go to bed, which is my daily source of number one frustration. But today I really wanted her to go to bed early so that she will get up on time tomorrow and be in a good mood for her first day of nursery after the long break. So that didn't happen. Because of my frustration I drank a can of coke and ate a ton of chocolate. Now I'm wide awake abd can't go to bed early myself though I need to get up really early for my first day back at work. There's other stuff as well but blah blah and so on. Besides I didn't do any prep for tomorrow so I'll have to get up super early to do that tomorrow morning.

I'm still frustrated. Now not just about the stuff that went wrong but also because I again stuffed myself with chocolate and other crap.and I'm frustrated with because it's all such seriously trivial crap. It's so trivial that I'm actually ashamed to write about it but I'm curious if anyone can relate especially these over reactions to little sources of frustration.

daveddd 01-07-19 08:17 PM

Re: Emotional dysregulation - the cascade of frustrated screw-ups

sure, I can relate

but don't be ashamed to write and vent and talk about it, lot of people here that will listen

Daniel1970 01-08-19 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 (Post 2012909)
It's just little things with little consequences but i think it's these little daily annoyances that I deal with so badly that ultimate ruin too many of my days and through stress and bad coping mechanisms ruin my health too.

It started with fuzzling taking forever to go to bed, which is my daily source of number one frustration. But today I really wanted her to go to bed early so that she will get up on time tomorrow and be in a good mood for her first day of nursery after the long break. So that didn't happen. Because of my frustration I drank a can of coke and ate a ton of chocolate. Now I'm wide awake abd can't go to bed early myself though I need to get up really early for my first day back at work. There's other stuff as well but blah blah and so on. Besides I didn't do any prep for tomorrow so I'll have to get up super early to do that tomorrow morning.

I'm still frustrated. Now not just about the stuff that went wrong but also because I again stuffed myself with chocolate and other crap.and I'm frustrated with because it's all such seriously trivial crap. It's so trivial that I'm actually ashamed to write about it but I'm curious if anyone can relate especially these over reactions to little sources of frustration.

Oh absolutely, sometimes it's the little **** that bugs me the most.

mildadhd 01-08-19 02:35 AM

Sometimes I laugh so hard, I can't breath.

M

Fuzzy12 01-08-19 05:09 AM

The cascade is continuing. I'm so tired and still annoyed because of yesterday that I couldn't get up today morning and now I'm going to be super late for work.

Fuzzy12 01-08-19 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildadhd (Post 2012919)
Sometimes I laugh so hard, I can't breath.

M

Me too though I don't remember the last time I laughed like that

Sometimes also I cry so hard that I struggle to breathe.

sarahsweets 01-13-19 07:52 AM

Do not give into shame fuzzy, its serves no purpose and is like poison for your soul.

Rebelyell 01-13-19 01:32 PM

Is emotional dysregulation when one has low frustration tolerances and ya run out of patience and like slam n break throw something or go kick something?

Drogheda98 01-13-19 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 (Post 2012909)

I think the term is death by a thousand cuts (just the name, not litterly).

first thing I think you should know is your not alone, because it's such a popular phrase, means it's a real thing, all those little things that add up. usually it's the small stuff that easily flied below the radar.

if you can visualize, one thing I do to help is visualize my, ehh, happy place. that is, I think different for everyone.

another is a trick I learned, a positive trigger. think about something great that happened in your life when you felt like a whollip of positive emotion. really visualize it to the point where you can feel the positive emotion. what hapened, what where you thinking, the circumstances to cause the positive emotion.

when you get the emotion and the visualization choose one spot on your body to pinch (not hard). do that again and again.

that will give you a positive trigger point to pinch on your body whenever you feel overwhelmed. that combined with the happy place visualization works wonders for me.

that and do some mirror work if possible, self reflection. like "you can do it" where you = self. of course you can do it is just a broad statement. I usually hold up my hand with new self reflections.

also, work on one cut at a time. have a problem with chocolate, don't buy any and don't have any in the house. have a problem buying chocolate at the store, purposefully go to the store several times with the soul thought of "I'm going to buy something besides chocolate".

Drogheda98 01-13-19 01:51 PM

also sara is correct. shame and regret are poison to the soul.

I think that is a product of society, everyone else feels regretfull so then we should to right?

nada. shame and regret are a negative energy loop. their is a reason that those that are shamefull and regretfull are almost always negative people. it takes a while to get out of that loop, just keep reminding yourself that it is and continue to look forward for solutions, one step at a time.