ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Parenting Issues (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Listening skills (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187850)

SpEdteachADDmom 09-11-17 02:38 PM

Listening skills

I need some advice for helping my daughter be a better listener. She has ADD and is medicated. We were listening to an audiobook yesterday and when we listen to it, I pause it every few minutes and ask comprehension questions. I asked a question yesterday that was very clearly stated in the book, and she said she "couldn't remember" (even though it had been mentioned literally 20 seconds before that). So I went back 30 seconds, we listened to that part again, and again I paused it and asked her the question. She still "couldn't remember". We had to listen to it 3 times before she heard it.

I need some tips on listening exercises I can do with her, outside of what I'm currently doing with the audiobook. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

J

TheGreatKing 09-11-17 03:17 PM

Re: Listening skills

During group lessons, keep your child involved by asking them questions. Play music or sing a song to keep them focused on the material being taught.
When giving instructions, limit the number of steps involved and have the students repeat the steps back to you, one at a time. Use the words first, next, and last to give order and structure.Relate concepts to real-life experiences through visuals, sign language, or gestures. Bring vocabulary words and stories to life by giving students examples from everyday life. If you are starting a story about a supermarket, bring in items that you buy there.Make sure your commands and directions are precise. “Do careful work” or “Be respectful” are too vague. Be specific in what you expect to see: “Eyes looking at me, bottoms in your chairs, book open to page 21, and desks cleared except for a pencil.”Read a few pages of an article or story at a time. Teach students how to stop and ask themselves questions about what they have read. Allow them to draw a picture or write a key word on a sticky note and attach it to the page.Make your voice go up or down, or make it louder or softer while doing a read-aloud or giving directions. Buy a garden glove and write a story element on each finger.

Be consistent with the words you use to give directions, and stick to established schedules in your household. This will increase a child’s listening comprehension because he knows what to expect and feels secure and calm.Walk through the steps of a task. Check for understanding of directions. Write down the task you want done (in words or pictures) and give it to your child for reference.Before, during, and after chores, homework, or a task, have your child tell you specifically what he is doing. This continuous reminder of the task at hand keeps your child focused. It may seem redundant, but it works!get your child up and moving to help with listening skills. Use hand gestures, exercises, or dance moves to help him remember what to do.

sarahsweets 09-12-17 04:37 AM

How old is your child?

SpEdteachADDmom 09-12-17 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahsweets (Post 1964010)
How old is your child?

Oops forgot to add that info. She's 12, almost 13. 7th grade.

Caco3girl 09-12-17 10:37 AM

I have to say, my son was able to keep up with the audio books...however, he did mention that he liked it when they did different voices for different characters. Is it a mono-tone reader, or is this an audio book that has a cool narrator?

There are audio book companies that sell AUDIBLE books that have reviews on how the narrator did. When I couldn't read the book to my son I got one of these type of books. He had no problem.

SpEdteachADDmom 09-12-17 11:45 AM

We are listening to The Giver on Audible right now. I stop the book every few minutes or so and ask her comprehension questions. She's very good at letting her mind wander - she calls it getting lost in her thoughts. I'm wanting some exercises that she can do both independently as well as with me that will help her build her focus on what's being said to her. She's always struggled in school, mainly because she doesn't hear the teacher when they mention deadlines or the fact that there is a test tomorrow. I don't know how many times she's come home and all of a sudden there is a huge project due tomorrow or a test she needs to study for. It's a daily struggle for us.

J

Caco3girl 09-12-17 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpEdteachADDmom (Post 1964058)
We are listening to The Giver on Audible right now. I stop the book every few minutes or so and ask her comprehension questions. She's very good at letting her mind wander - she calls it getting lost in her thoughts. I'm wanting some exercises that she can do both independently as well as with me that will help her build her focus on what's being said to her. She's always struggled in school, mainly because she doesn't hear the teacher when they mention deadlines or the fact that there is a test tomorrow. I don't know how many times she's come home and all of a sudden there is a huge project due tomorrow or a test she needs to study for. It's a daily struggle for us.

J

That all sounds familiar...getting the IEP helped a lot with that since they have to be more explicit in when the tests are.

My daughter has issues reading so she reads along with the book when we listen to a book....have you tried that?

Caco3girl 09-12-17 03:26 PM

Also...who chose the Giver? When my son had the option he chose the Percy Jackson series that hadn't been made into a movie yet. VERY thick books, worth a lot of points, but he was actually interested in the fast paced action.

anonymouslyadd 09-12-17 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpEdteachADDmom (Post 1964058)

J

This was my experience growing up. It seems like you're looking for ways to increase your daughter's attention span through exercises. There are none.

Focus on strategies she can employ to compensate for the poor working memory and time blindness that accompany the disorder. Don't try to fix her or fix the way her brain works. You'll be climbing up a mountain, frustrating yourself and your daughter.

Think outside the box for solutions for your daughter. I appreciate how involved and concerned you are about her well-being. She has a good mother. :)

SpEdteachADDmom 09-12-17 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caco3girl (Post 1964092)
Also...who chose the Giver? When my son had the option he chose the Percy Jackson series that hadn't been made into a movie yet. VERY thick books, worth a lot of points, but he was actually interested in the fast paced action.

She asked me about The Giver because it is my favorite book, and I talk about it often. And there's a movie now, so she's interested in it. Finally! :)

SpEdteachADDmom 09-12-17 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caco3girl (Post 1964091)
That all sounds familiar...getting the IEP helped a lot with that since they have to be more explicit in when the tests are.

My daughter has issues reading so she reads along with the book when we listen to a book....have you tried that?

Yes, I have a paperback copy of the book as well and she follows along with it. But when I ask her listening comprehension questions, I have her close the book. I feel like she needs to work on actively paying attention to the speaker since she won't always have text in front of her to refer back to. Reading comprehension is fairly close to grade level. It's just the listening she struggles with. She lets her attention span drift away and she will daydream about other things.

sarahsweets 09-13-17 04:41 AM

Does she have an IEP for school or a 504?

Caco3girl 09-13-17 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpEdteachADDmom (Post 1964126)
Yes, I have a paperback copy of the book as well and she follows along with it. But when I ask her listening comprehension questions, I have her close the book. I feel like she needs to work on actively paying attention to the speaker since she won't always have text in front of her to refer back to. Reading comprehension is fairly close to grade level. It's just the listening she struggles with. She lets her attention span drift away and she will daydream about other things.

Wait....my son has to listen to books because he can't understand what he is reading or follow along. If your daughter has average reading comprehension why are you listening to audio books?

SpEdteachADDmom 09-13-17 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caco3girl (Post 1964232)
Wait....my son has to listen to books because he can't understand what he is reading or follow along. If your daughter has average reading comprehension why are you listening to audio books?

I commute to my job and she rides in the car with me and I drop her off at school, so we listen to audio books or podcasts on the way. :)

stef 09-13-17 05:32 PM

maybe thats not quite the right moment?
idk as an adult I need that time commuting to either prepare for the day or unwind
( I take the train I don't drive!)