ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Think you know people you dont (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194437)

soulsearcher 02-05-19 09:17 PM

Think you know people you dont

Hello, everyone, I know this might be another strange post but do you people think you actually know people even though you don't know them

I do and there has been a few times the person has said i don't know you its probably just me but its very strange just thought i would ask

i now social media is very bad for this for me anyway i have no idea why i do this but it must jut be my mind playing tricks

I am undiagnosed still waiting to be seen

Greyhound1 02-05-19 09:35 PM

Re: Think you know people you dont

Are you referring to people online or in person?

soulsearcher 02-05-19 10:08 PM

hello thank you for your reply its offline or online even i just dont know why maybe its adhd not sure it realy freaks me out when it happens

Greyhound1 02-05-19 10:20 PM

Hey Soul,

I seem to have the opposite problem. I meet some people and feel so embarrassed when they know my name and I don’t even have a clue who they are or if we ever met.

stef 02-06-19 02:04 AM

This happens to me often, I tend to get people mixed up or I simply can't remember their names IRL; but otherwise I have a good longterm memory and somewhere I "store" certain traits or sounds of names.

The other day I was sure I saw my psy near the train station and I almost went up to say hello, but he was a different grey haired short man in a navy blue down jacket.

I also constantly mix up celebrities and football players.

psychopathetic 02-06-19 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyhound1 (Post 2014474)
Hey Soul,

I seem to have the opposite problem. I meet some people and feel so embarrassed when they know my name and I donít even have a clue who they are or if we ever met.

Yes this happens to me too!

Drogheda98 02-07-19 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stef (Post 2014480)
This happens to me often, I tend to get people mixed up or I simply can't remember their names IRL; but otherwise I have a good longterm memory and somewhere I "store" certain traits or sounds of names.

The other day I was sure I saw my psy near the train station and I almost went up to say hello, but he was a different grey haired short man in a navy blue down jacket.

I also constantly mix up celebrities and football players.

I'm similar in that my long term memory is really precise, I can remember the faces of people easy even when they forget.

names.... lol. I either have to gruelingly bash a persons name in my brain or associate a name for someone else in long term memory, a celeb or someone in my past.

sometimes I wonder though, does associating a name of a person with another person who isn't that person cause a blur. like, can the ability to associate names for other people blur qualities of the person I'm associating the name with for the actual person I'm referring to(in a real life situation that is)

like, i've strung my associative ability to the ability to associate names (it's odd thinking that one of my strengths comes directly from the extraction of association of names, the connecting the dots thing), still.

heh, oh well, it's mysteries that keep us going. or me atleast

tudorose 02-07-19 04:05 AM

I don't remember faces or names. I remember their energy. If I look into someone's eyes I see too much so I avoid it. Makes me look aloof. I looked into a babies eyes the other day and it was weird. I don't know how else to describe it but empty. Like the baby was a cup waiting to be filled. Was so strange. If I look in someone's eyes I can generally see /feel the essence of who they are and a lot of the time it scares the **** out of me