ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Science & Philosophical Discussion (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=336)
-   -   Is hyperactivity a separate disorder? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190427)

mildadhd 02-17-18 11:36 PM

Is hyperactivity a separate disorder?

Inattention is consistent in attention deficit.

Hyperactivity is not consistent in attention deficit.

M

mildadhd 02-21-18 09:30 PM

Re: Is hyperactivity a separate disorder?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildadhd (Post 1985849)

M

Since inattentiveness is consistent and hyperactivity is not.

I wonder if it would be more accurate and less confusing, if “Hyperactivity” was removed from “ADHD”, in general?

Example.

Three subtypes of ADD.

*ADD-PI (Attention Deficit Disorder—Predominately Inattentive)

*ADD-C (Attention Deficit Disorder—Combined)

*ADD-PH/I (Attention Deficit Disorder—Predominately Hyperactive/Impulsive)

M

Greyhound1 02-21-18 11:29 PM

You got my vote

mildadhd 02-22-18 02:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

In ADD, hyperactivity and a low-arousal state have become entrenched, inappropriate to the individual’s age or to events in the immediate present.

They are triggered too easily, and once triggered, they tend to go out of control.

The cortex is not able to regulate either division of the autonomic nervous system.

Physiologically and emotionally, the child or adult swings back and forth between over-the-top, purposeless excitement and a nonrestful vegetative state in which the predominant emotion is shame.

Some tend to get stuck at one or the other of these opposite poles.

The two states may also be present at the same time, resulting in agitated, unfocused inactivity.

-Gabor Mate, “Scattered”, 1999. Chapter: “Hyperactivity, Lethargy and Shame”, p 137.
I wonder what are the differences and the similarities between deeply subcortical low-arousal state and higher prefrontal low-arousal state?

(I am trying hard not to quote the whole chapter. I picked a paragraph near the end of the chapter, but may need to review previous pages throughout the book. Hopefully other members with a copy of Scattered or other sources information on the discussion topics that make sense to in regard to their own experiences will post)

M

mildadhd 02-22-18 11:25 AM

Edit:

I wonder what are the differences and the similarities between deeply subcortical low-arousal and prefrontal low-arousal?

M

mildadhd 02-22-18 05:20 PM

Can the sympathetic nervous system work separately without the parasympathetic nervous system?

In other words, can hyperactivity exist separately without hypoactivity?

I do not think so?

Quote:

“purposeless excitement and a nonrestful vegetative state...Some tend to get stuck at one or the other of these opposite poles.

The two states may also be present at the same time, resulting in agitated, unfocused inactivity.” -Dr. Mate

M

sarahsweets 02-25-18 08:18 AM

But..not consistent doesnt mean not present right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildadhd (Post 1985849)

M

TygerSan 02-25-18 02:21 PM

I would actually argue that inattention is also inconsistent in adhd. We are if anything. Insistently inconsistent.