ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Adult Diagnosis & Treatment (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=293)
-   -   stopping all medication (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194260)

daveddd 01-05-19 12:24 PM

stopping all medication

this is a personal decision im making and wanted somewhere to look back at it

in no way does this mean im anti med or suggesting that anyone else do this

I'm doing it for myself for my own reasons

I'm on Prozac,buspar,Wellbutrin,adderall,neltrexone (for off label anxiety not drug abuse)

although most of my issues are likely a snowball my official dx are

ADHD hyper and inattentive

anxiety

social anxiety
bipolar 1 (though ive only had 1 true episode of mania over a decade ago, but plenty of hypomania)
avoidant personality disorder

While the meds numb my anxiety and depression a bit I feel like Ive gone into a state of auto pilot and really life has become more of a chore

well I just was wanting to track my progress and get any feedback

Greyhound1 01-05-19 05:03 PM

Re: stopping all medication

Hey Dave,
I think you should give it a try so you can evaluate and track effectiveness along with identifying possible interactions. Interactions can be serious between Prozac and Wellbutrin and Prozac and Buspar quoted below.

Given the fact you take other medications as well that could also contribute to some negative interactions, I think a break from the meds. to re-evaluate is a good idea. Best of luck finding the most effective treatment with the least amount of negative side effects and interactions.

I was on Lexapro and Buspar for about a year and it really screwed me up.

Quote:

FLUOXETINE ORAL AND BUSPIRONE ORAL

Serious - Use Alternative. Potential for serious interaction; regular monitoring by your doctor required

fluoxetine oral and buspirone oral both increase affecting serotonin levels in the blood. Too much serotonin is a potentially life-threatening situation. Severe signs and symptoms include high blood pressure and increased heart rate that lead to shock.
Quote:

FLUOXETINE ORAL AND BUPROPION HCL ORAL

Serious - Use Alternative. Potential for serious interaction; regular monitoring by your doctor required or alternate medication may be needed

fluoxetine oral increases toxicity of bupropion hcl oral by unspecified interaction mechanism. Keep bupropion dose as low as possible as seizures may occur.

daveddd 01-05-19 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyhound1 (Post 2012804)
Hey Dave,
I think you should give it a try so you can evaluate and track effectiveness along with identifying possible interactions. Interactions can be serious between Prozac and Wellbutrin and Prozac and Buspar quoted below.

Given the fact you take other medications as well that could also contribute to some negative interactions, I think a break from the meds. to re-evaluate is a good idea. Best of luck finding the most effective treatment with the least amount of negative side effects and interactions.

I was on Lexapro and Buspar for about a year and it really screwed me up.

yea, and im on the max dose of pretty much everything for depression

ive tried it all , at this point I think I need to feel life again, no matter the consequences

Little Missy 01-05-19 07:51 PM

you'll be pretty uncomfortable for a week or two probably :scratch:

daveddd 01-05-19 07:59 PM

yea, I cant really recall a time when ive been comfortable in my own body anyway

ill be fine

daveddd 01-06-19 11:03 AM

you know the old saying by some philomolosifer , what comes up must come down

well what goes down must come up

crazy how I go from yesterday not leaving my couch, ignoring phone calls

to today, radio blasting, dripping sweat from running around my house

10 am ive texted half the contacts in my phone

no substances at all

the 4th day I haven't loaded myself with serotonin though

DUBL07 01-06-19 11:41 PM

I stopped my adderall too, just made me jittery all the time. didn't really see much benefit being on it. tried many other meds too and just didn't really like any of them. I did notice coming off adderall my brain fog was glorious haha. To the point i could barely remember anything. The junky crash was terrible but subsided after a week. I see my doc again this month and we can talk about meds again i suppose. I feel like i wasted my time even getting diagnosed. Haven't really accomplished much since, and i already knew i had attention issues. Just now i have a piece of paper to confirm it. Like all things in life it boils down to a piece of paper. I think with adhd you build things up a lot. Like meds i heard others stories about taking them and boom they were getting straight A's in college. You visualize something and hope and dream, and boom it doesn't happen that way for you.

stef 01-07-19 11:56 AM

I am only on Ritalin and I am a trainwreck without it;
but really prozac made me a complete zombie and if its true that anti- depressants are not always good for adhd...i hope this works out for you

i would worry about some kind of withdrawal, though

daveddd 01-07-19 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stef (Post 2012883)
I am only on Ritalin and I am a trainwreck without it;
but really prozac made me a complete zombie and if its true that anti- depressants are not always good for adhd...i hope this works out for you

i would worry about some kind of withdrawal, though

honestly, I really think its nice of you guys to care

but ive been through much worse, wont get into, but it will make this seem like a vacation

ill be fine, I think im on day 5-6 already

daveddd 01-07-19 06:03 PM

and really I think this is less about the stimulant, I may start myself back on that once im completely back to baseline

peripatetic 01-07-19 07:22 PM

bon courage with going off. i really hope you are able to do so safely and effectively. and then i'll just be envious. ; ) xx

daveddd 01-07-19 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peripatetic (Post 2012905)
bon courage with going off. i really hope you are able to do so safely and effectively. and then i'll just be envious. ; ) xx

thanks peri, I don't think I'll be anything to envy

there will be some very very down times

thing is I still have down times now, but no up times, im completely anhedonic

its not worth it

tudorose 01-08-19 02:51 AM

I'm off all meds. It's daily struggle but there's not a lot of choice for me. I've had to lower my expectations a lot.

daveddd 01-18-19 12:15 PM

15 days haven't had much withdrawal besides low energy . I know with the massive amount of serotonin I was taking im probably no where near baseline yet though

Emre22 01-18-19 01:49 PM

If you have bipolar, i recommend you to not stop taking medications

Being on multiple anti-depressants already increases risk of triggering a hypomanic or manic episode.

I checked your post and i saw that you aren't on any mood stabilizer and anti-psychotic, you should get treatment for your Bipolar first, then you should focus on others. BP can make your other disorders' situation worse.