ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Parenting Issues (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Broaching adhd with our son (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196021)

jandgaz 10-15-20 05:32 PM

Broaching adhd with our son

Hi everyone. This is our first post
Our 18 year old son has always come across as quite childish. As an 18 year old young man he seems very resistant to maturing into adulthood, he does not want to concentrate on working towards his goal of joining the RAF.

Tonight my husband and myself were chatting about him and after seeing an item on television about adult ADHD. Having gone online we came across a site and he fits the bill almost 100%. It has been quite an eye opener. I am divorced from his father for 12 years and I have always put the way he behaves down to the divorce, however, the more I read about ADHD the more I am thinking he may suffer from this condition.

My question is, what is the best way to bring this up with him. My son can shut me down instantly and refuse to talk about anything outside of his comfort zone. I obviously really do want to talk to him about the possibility of him having ADHD but without upsetting him. The fact that he is now an adult is making me feel even more anxious about our chat. Can anyone who has had to talk to their young adult child about this please help and advise?
Thank you

sarahsweets 10-16-20 05:06 AM

Re: Broaching adhd with our son

Its tough because of his age. You could consider having him read or watch something and ask him if he felt that way. Most of all let him know its not his fault and that you are not blaming him. Also find a good psychiatrist to rule out anything else.

acdc01 10-16-20 06:18 AM

Sarahsweets advice seems spot on to me.

Lunacie 10-16-20 11:18 PM

If your son does have adhd, he isn't being "resistive" to maturing.
It's a developmental delay in our brain wiring that leaves us about
1/3 less mature than our peers in some areas.

Dr. Charles Barkley has some good information on that aspect.

I agree with sarahsweets advice and am trying to think of something
helpful for both of you to watch/read, but it's bedtime, so I'll sleep on it.

jandgaz 10-18-20 05:23 PM

Thank you so much for our replies guys, we very much appreciate the help. Lunacie, ee are about to look up Dr Charles Barkley but if you could point us to something that would be great.
Thank you again

namazu 10-18-20 06:42 PM

Just a quick note to save you some confusion: Charles Barkley was a basketball player. The psychologist who's an ADHD expert is Russell Barkley. :)

Lunacie 10-19-20 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namazu (Post 2027202)
Just a quick note to save you some confusion: Charles Barkley was a basketball player. The psychologist who's an ADHD expert is Russell Barkley. :)

You're right of course. Migraine brain struck again.

One of our own members put Dr. Barkley's information in easy to understand
form in our parenting section. Although it's geared towards younger children,
it could give you a base to start building knowledge and understanding this
disorder.