ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Thinking outside the box:is it common in adhd? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194297)

PI-ADHD 29 01-11-19 01:59 AM

Thinking outside the box:is it common in adhd?

I think outside the box usually in all my life. I mean i think in different ways in many situations, conversations. Sometimes i think too deeply, complex and i suppose other people can understand what i think. But many times people think or comment things just simply. And sometimes vice versa. So, too many times i'm misunderstood. I've lost many of my friends because of that. Or sometimes i'm seem as a fool, stupid man. I'm goodwill but i seem ill will by others many times. Sometimes i can make good jokes, but sometimes i can't sense jokes made by others quickly.
Are these familiar for anyone of you? Is thinking outside the box or thinking different ways common with adhd?

acdc01 01-11-19 06:36 AM

Re: Thinking outside the box:is it common in adhd?

Yes, I've been told I am an outside the box thinker by others. To my advantage and to my detriment too sometimes.

Studies suggest we on average are more creative. This doesn't mean we are all more creative, just that "on average" we are more creative.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...-more-creative

It only makes logical sense to me that we might be inclined this way. I mean "thinking outside the box" is just thinking differently. Why should we not be more likely to "think differently" when our brain is quite literally different than others?

sarahsweets 01-11-19 10:49 AM

I think the phrase "thinking outside the box" is kinda overused imo. I think there are probably people in every type of mental disorders, illnesses and disabilities that say this about themselves. I like to think the same about myself when I decide to let my ego play but in reality I am probably no different than most people./

acdc01 01-11-19 12:58 PM

I looked back at your post again. While I stand by my earlier post still, I wonder if in addition to thinking outside the box, if you have some communication issues that can be solved and help you keep more friends.

Like if they aren't understanding you because you speak in long paragraphs while they speak in short sentences. This isn't actually about outside thinking, it's communications.

I tend to ramble myself irl sometimes and frankly even I wouldn't be able to understand myself when I do. We might never be perfect at it, but I do think we can get better at being more succinct speakers with practice and/or input from helpful, positive people.

mildadhd 01-12-19 04:19 AM

I feel and think, inside the box and outside the box.

Between the box.

I think and feel, outside the box and inside the box.

M

PI-ADHD 29 01-12-19 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acdc01 (Post 2013067)
I looked back at your post again. While I stand by my earlier post still, I wonder if in addition to thinking outside the box, if you have some communication issues that can be solved and help you keep more friends.

Like if they aren't understanding you because you speak in long paragraphs while they speak in short sentences. This isn't actually about outside thinking, it's communications.

I tend to ramble myself irl sometimes and frankly even I wouldn't be able to understand myself when I do. We might never be perfect at it, but I do think we can get better at being more succinct speakers with practice and/or input from helpful, positive people.

Oh you also misunderstood me?:)Yes I've communication problems. I think maybe one of the cause(among many others) is 'thinking in different ways'. Normally in real life i speak shortly even maybe too shortly.
I wrote long here because my English isn't good enough. So i had to use synonyms of some words like 'fool-stupid'.

Drogheda98 01-12-19 08:17 PM

I think, through a long arduous journey of my own, that the key to thinking outside the box is knowing what the box is. thinking outside typically has nothing to do with communications but problem solving.

in communications, it's usually knowing the context behind the words this, that, those, these, they... typically a lot of T words. I wonder, how many other people with ADHD have had problems with T words.

an example of thinking outside the box is more academic/problem solving, drawing outside the lines if you well.

the 9 Dot Challanage is a really good example of thinking outside of the box.

. . .

. . .

. . .

connect all 9 dots with only using 4 lines. to do so, you must literally think outside the box. it can be done with 3 lines or how you frame the problem, 1 line. (if you blow up the dots, using just periods for the dots in this example).

another example is the 4 tree challenge. I haven't been able to do that one as of yet (gota look online for the instructions)

mildadhd 01-13-19 04:47 AM

Thinking outside the circle?
Thinking outside the loop?
Thinking outside the sphere?

Example?

Astronauts think outside the sphere?

M?