ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Do you have... (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191596)

LyrinMeow 05-09-18 04:05 PM

Do you have...

Aphantasia?

I'd be curious to know your diagnosis and whether you have this.

What is Aphantasia? Not being able to mentally visualize things. So if I say close your eyes and visualize an apple, can you actually SEE an apple?

Ronelh 05-10-18 02:01 PM

Re: Do you have...

I'm not diagnosed but I believe I have ADHD-PI.

I have a vivid imagination and "see" things in my mind very clearly. Even without closing my eyes. :) So I guess I have to say I don't have aphantasia. I don't know much about it though. Does it make it harder to remember things?

psychopathetic 05-10-18 03:58 PM

I'm with Ronelh above. I have ADHD-PI, but don't relate with this either.
In fact, I tend to test pretty highly in visual stuff when it comes to tests.

It sounds frightening :(. What a tough thing to deal with.

Do you have it Ly-Lys?

CharlesH 05-10-18 04:18 PM

I have an acquaintance who can't visualize faces. I don't remember if it's limited to faces. She says she didn't realize she had that inability until she read an article about that condition.

LyrinMeow 05-10-18 04:35 PM

I didn't know other people COULD actually see things in their heads for a very long time. One of my friends was talking about it and how it affects his artistic ability and I'm like, 'Oh, you mean this is not normal?'.

I have some artistic ability but I always draw from an inspiration picture. I can change it and morph it but to come up with something on my own is difficult. Gotta say, my spacial intelligence is lacking.

My memory is fine. I obviously don't associate memories with images. It does seem make it difficult to do a lot of the short term memory increasing tricks though as they often rely on association between physical things or mental images and what you want to remember. Or at least the last book about it that I read did.

Between partial face blindness and aphantasia I would be the absolute most horrible witness to a crime. "What did he look like?" "umm. I know he had some hair on his head? was it a beard maybe? You know maybe he was bald. Wait, was it a girl, maybe? I have no idea, sir."

I was just curious if it correlated to any illnesses floating around these parts.

CharlesH 05-10-18 05:01 PM

I think the vast majority of ADHD people (myself included) do not have aphantasia, but I wouldn't be surprised if there exists a correlation.

To be clear, when people "visualize" things, there isn't actually a strong image. It's more like an idea or a very weak image. Kind of like if you were to imagine petting a cat. You wouldn't actually feel the sensation in your fingertips. On the other hand, I think that sound is much easier to vividly recreate. Anyway, this is just my layman's understanding.

Greyhound1 05-10-18 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyrinMeow (Post 1994428)
Aphantasia?

I'd be curious to know your diagnosis and whether you have this.

What is Aphantasia? Not being able to mentally visualize things. So if I say close your eyes and visualize an apple, can you actually SEE an apple?

I think, I must have it. I can only visualize something for a nano second and then it morphs or changes entirely. I canít even visualize my own face with any detail or accuracy, the image just doesnít last long enough.

LyrinMeow 05-10-18 06:06 PM

I think there is a spectrum. Like some with it dream visually and others say they don't have visual dreams.

I'll have to do further research tomorrow.

psychopathetic 05-10-18 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyhound1 (Post 1994528)
I think, I must have it. I can only visualize something for a nano second and then it morphs or changes entirely

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyrinMeow (Post 1994531)
I think there is a spectrum.

Yeah, and I don't have that issue. I can imagine the apple in my head for as long as I can focus on doing so...then I can even start visualizing details about the apple. Whether it's red or green, the specks on it like some red apples have, the stem.
Or I tried visualizing a picture of my mom I have on my phone. I can see her face, and her shirt. I can then visualize the details. The smile, her glasses, her necklace. I can even start to visualize the background.

It does fade in and out and it is a bit fuzzy, but as long as I make myself focus on it it...it sticks around.

I can see how it's your guy's "normal"...but this really does sound frightening to me. Super frustrating! I don't think I've ever heard of this before today.

Greyhound1 05-10-18 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychopathetic (Post 1994532)
Yeah, and I don't have that issue. I can imagine the apple in my head for as long as I can focus on doing so...then I can even start visualizing details about the apple. Whether it's red or green, the specks on it like some red apples have, the stem.
Or I tried visualizing a picture of my mom I have on my phone. I can see her face, and her shirt. I can then visualize the details. The smile, her glasses, her necklace. I can even start to visualize the background.

It does fade in and out and it is a bit fuzzy, but as long as I make myself focus on it it...it sticks around.

I can see how it's your guy's "normal"...but this really does sound frightening to me. Super frustrating! I don't think I've ever heard of this before today.

Lyrin mentioned it affects her friends artistic abilities. That really struck home with me. I can so relate.

I can draw or paint pretty well when I have a picture or an object to look at. Relying on just my memory or mental eye only, my work looks more like kindergarten level.

LyrinMeow 05-11-18 04:00 AM

"Itís thought that as many as one in fifty people might have aphantasia."

From http://www.iflscience.com/brain/cant...ve-aphantasia/

Wow that's a lot more than I would have thought.

And from what I've seen they have no idea what causes it. Although I did somewhere read that it can be caused by traumatic brain injuries.

Side note if you are interested in learning about some other effects of brain trauma/abnormal brain function there is a book called The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat. Good read. For me anyway. I'm really really nerdy.

aeon 05-11-18 10:04 AM

No, I do not have aphantasia, and indeed, I seem to have the very opposite of it.

The images I visualize internally are vivid and detailed, and I can watch movies and listen to records in my head.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesH (Post 1994527)
To be clear, when people "visualize" things, there isn't actually a strong image. It's more like an idea or a very weak image. Kind of like if you were to imagine petting a cat. You wouldn't actually feel the sensation in your fingertips. On the other hand, I think that sound is much easier to vividly recreate. Anyway, this is just my layman's understanding.

For me, quite the contrary. Visualization is most often dazzling in its nature, its level of detail. Of particular note to me is the way in which I recall the textures of fabrics and foods.

I also recall my childhood sexual abuse with amazing clarity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyrinMeow (Post 1994557)
Side note if you are interested in learning about some other effects of brain trauma/abnormal brain function there is a book called The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat. Good read. For me anyway. I'm really really nerdy.

Oliver Sacks wrote many good things to read, and that is surely one of them.

And being nerdy is good, so very, very good.

Cheers,
Ian

CharlesH 05-11-18 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeon (Post 1994576)
The images I visualize internally are vivid and detailed, and I can watch movies and listen to records in my head.

For me, quite the contrary. Visualization is most often dazzling in its nature, its level of detail. Of particular note to me is the way in which I recall the textures of fabrics and foods.

Interesting, I just assumed that for most people, sound was easiest to vividly recreate, but it just goes to show that everyone's different. Maybe I'll do an informal poll of my friends/acquaintances.

On a slightly unrelated note, I tend to engage in a lot of negative self talk, so maybe my mind is accustomed to recreating sounds in my head!

tudorose 05-11-18 09:45 PM

Nope don't relate at all. I had to take meds to think in words and everyone I've ever met with adhd is visual.

PoppnNSailinMan 05-13-18 04:19 PM

This is an interesting topic.

I don't have a problem visualizing things. In fact, when I learn new languages, I tend to remember new vocabulary visually, seeing the words spelled out in my head rather than remembering them based on the sounds of the words. And I used to daydream a lot and most of that was visual. But what I see isn't necessarily very sharp or very clear.