ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Men with ADD/ADHD (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   How many years on meds ? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188205)

allangau 10-06-17 07:40 AM

How many years on meds ?

Hello everybody i write this post because i would say that im a little bit scared of the fact that i took methylphenidate and adderall for 13 year in a row (6 year old to 20) now im 25 years old and im scared of getting a neurodenerative disease like parkinson or something like that so i was wondering how many of you took adhd drug for more than 10 years in a row in your life ? What was your starting age ? and at which age did you stop taking them ? And how old are you right now ? I think about that fact every day and its killing me.

aeon 10-06-17 11:15 AM

Re: How many years on meds ?

Started at 41, am 48 now, no issues.

I had a friend who took 90mg of Dexedrine per day from age 17 until age 60...no issues...and I knew her from age 50 to age 60.

As psychiatric medications go, these are some of the oldest, most studied, and statistically safe medications known.

Cheers,
Ian

Cadams2140 10-06-17 01:29 PM

Vyvance - 4 years
Adderal XR - 2 Years

sarahsweets 10-07-17 06:50 AM

Started in my early 20's like 23, still on adderall and In a 42.

Hyperman87 10-17-17 01:40 PM

About 8 years as a child & 6 as an adult. It was broken up like from 8 to 15 & then from 23 to my current age. Dexedrine for 5 or 6 years & now Vyvanse for about 6.

ToneTone 10-17-17 07:38 PM

On Wellbutrin XL for 12 years.

For 9 1/2 years I've been on Adderall XR ... then Concerta ... then Vyvanse .. then back to Adderall XR.

You know, my brother had severe and untreated ADHD, and he didn't get old enough to have Parkinson's ... Life overwhelmed him and he had a stroke at 64. ADHD can be really dangerous ... it undermines the ability take care of yourself ...

I think I saw the study you are referring to ... that found that people who used amphetamines had a higher risk of Parkinson's ... You have to be careful about those studies ... Parkinson's affects about 1 percent of people over 60 and 5 percent over 85 ... The increased risk found by one study would still mean a low rate of risk ... Aging is the main risk factor.

I say use the drugs to get your life really on a great track. Like fantastic! ... But don't give up because of a rare monster way way off in the distance.

Especially when you have that nasty, multiple-limbed ADHD monster messing with you every day.

Tone

Bacon & Eggs 10-29-17 12:15 AM

Ritalin or Concerta going on 23 years now. This stuff has saved my life :)

36mg sustained in the am & two 5mg boosters throughout the day.