ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Adult Diagnosis & Treatment (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=293)
-   -   Help! ADD lead to my anxiety (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192873)

Penguin325 08-18-18 11:51 AM

Help! ADD lead to my anxiety

I have always had problems with concentrating, listening to people, being disorganized, and sticking with things as a little kid. I never thought I would have ADD because I was never the kid bouncing off walls and school was really easy for me until I went to a psychiatrist for the first time because I have had a lot of emotional problems and anxiety because I can’t get things done and it’s been getting worse and worse. She mentioned I might have some attention deficit but to focus treating my anxiety first since ADD meds can make anxiety worse.

I am super against stimulants and drugs If I don’t need to take them, but my life has hit rock bottom and I needed to do something about it. I was really really scared to take anti -anxiety meds, but I thought I would just try it. The first day I took Effexor I had ALL the side effects and they were severe, so my psychiatrist told me to go to the ER and that’s what I did. When I came home I felt like a Blob, I can’t explain it anymore than feeling like a blob. The next morning, I felt like I was hungover, nauseas, headache and very bad anxiety from nothing.

So my psychiatrist tried prescribing Lexapro, side effects weren’t as bad, but my anxiety still had increased and makes me more restless, but at the same time not wanting to do anything. Just the worst feeling. The LAST thing I want her to do is prescribe me Xanax, because I feel like that’s not addressing the root of my problem.

I feel my anxiety gets worse because I can’t seem to accomplish anything anymore, I have so much stuff to do for work that I feel like my head is going to explode. I’ve only been on this stuff for a 1 week and I know it takes a while for these meds to have full affect, but I can’t keep doing these meds when I know I feel like crap, these meds aren’t right for me, and it’s effecting my performance at work.

How do I tell my psychiatrist to focus more on treating my add than my anxiety? I understand Adderall can make anxiety worse but these anti-anxiety meds are making my anxiety worse. I honestly feel if I can get things accomplished then my anxiety will get better!

sarahsweets 08-18-18 01:39 PM

Re: Help! ADD lead to my anxiety

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penguin325 (Post 2003181)
I have always had problems with concentrating, listening to people, being disorganized, and sticking with things as a little kid. I never thought I would have ADD because I was never the kid bouncing off walls and school was really easy for me until I went to a psychiatrist for the first time because I have had a lot of emotional problems and anxiety because I canít get things done and itís been getting worse and worse. She mentioned I might have some attention deficit but to focus treating my anxiety first since ADD meds can make anxiety worse.

So did your doc diagnose you with adhd?

Quote:

I am super against stimulants and drugs If I donít need to take them, but my life has hit rock bottom and I needed to do something about it.
Why stimulants? No one wants to take medication if they do not have to but if you do have to its no different than needing insulin for diabetes or reading glasses to read.
Quote:

I was really really scared to take anti -anxiety meds, but I thought I would just try it. The first day I took Effexor I had ALL the side effects and they were severe, so my psychiatrist told me to go to the ER and thatís what I did. When I came home I felt like a Blob, I canít explain it anymore than feeling like a blob. The next morning, I felt like I was hungover, nauseas, headache and very bad anxiety from nothing.

So my psychiatrist tried prescribing Lexapro, side effects werenít as bad, but my anxiety still had increased and makes me more restless, but at the same time not wanting to do anything. Just the worst feeling.
Certain classes of antidepressants work better than others.

Quote:

The LAST thing I want her to do is prescribe me Xanax, because I feel like thatís not addressing the root of my problem.
Some people need meds like xanax and when taken responsibly can be very effective.

Quote:

I feel my anxiety gets worse because I canít seem to accomplish anything anymore, I have so much stuff to do for work that I feel like my head is going to explode. Iíve only been on this stuff for a 1 week and I know it takes a while for these meds to have full affect, but I canít keep doing these meds when I know I feel like crap, these meds arenít right for me, and itís effecting my performance at work.
Besides anxiety is there anything else she diagnosed?

Quote:

How do I tell my psychiatrist to focus more on treating my add than my anxiety? I understand Adderall can make anxiety worse but these anti-anxiety meds are making my anxiety worse. I honestly feel if I can get things accomplished then my anxiety will get better!
The thing is when it comes to mental health treating things like anxiety and depression before the adhd is good form. They are something that can muck up your treatment for adhd.

Penguin325 08-18-18 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahsweets (Post 2003225)
So did your doc diagnose you with adhd?

Why stimulants? No one wants to take medication if they do not have to but if you do have to its no different than needing insulin for diabetes or reading glasses to read.

Certain classes of antidepressants work better than others.

Some people need meds like xanax and when taken responsibly can be very effective.

Besides anxiety is there anything else she diagnosed?

The thing is when it comes to mental health treating things like anxiety and depression before the adhd is good form. They are something that can muck up your treatment for adhd.

Well she never blantantly said I am dx you with this or this. She said it seems to me with you past history and family history that you might have attention deficit but I first want want address your anxiety since add stimulants make anxiety worse and we can revisit your attention deficit issues in more depth at follow up and I agreed. I wanted to say that I am against stimulants and meds unless I have to take them to not make people think Iím seeking out adderall or Xanax or whatever it is. Maybe itís because Iím foreign and foreigners tend to hold a stigma with certain medicines... whatever thatís not important to my story. I never gave ADD a thought until my psychiatrist said I have anxiety because of ADD or both independent of eachother. But I honestly think itís former, reading and researching more about it, it makes more sense to me that my anxiety is caused by my add. Before i never had responsibilities or anything that would cause me to be super fall behind, so it makes sense my anxiety shows up when Iím not performing well or finish the things that I need to. I just donít like taking these anti anxiety meds and I canít continue these medications for another month until my follow up, and itís not helping me with my issue of not accomplishing tasks and performing well at work, which is very important to me. I donít want to lose my job.

BrandyDW 08-18-18 05:16 PM

Call your psychiatrist and tell the nurse what’s going on

sarahsweets 08-19-18 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penguin325 (Post 2003248)
Well she never blantantly said I am dx you with this or this. She said it seems to me with you past history and family history that you might have attention deficit but I first want want address your anxiety since add stimulants make anxiety worse and we can revisit your attention deficit issues in more depth at follow up and I agreed. I wanted to say that I am against stimulants and meds unless I have to take them to not make people think Iím seeking out adderall or Xanax or whatever it is.

Its a shame that we have to worry about people automatically assuming we are drug seeking just because we want appropriate treatment.

Quote:

[ Maybe itís because Iím foreign and foreigners tend to hold a stigma with certain medicines... whatever thatís not important to my story. I never gave ADD a thought until my psychiatrist said I have anxiety because of ADD or both independent of eachother. But I honestly think itís former, reading and researching more about it, it makes more sense to me that my anxiety is caused by my add. Before i never had responsibilities or anything that would cause me to be super fall behind, so it makes sense my anxiety shows up when Iím not performing well or finish the things that I need to. I just donít like taking these anti anxiety meds and I canít continue these medications for another month until my follow up, and itís not helping me with my issue of not accomplishing tasks and performing well at work, which is very important to me. I donít want to lose my job.
The thing is with adhd is symptoms must have been present in childhood before age 12.

ToneTone 08-23-18 10:59 PM

Most psychiatrist these days (especially those who take insurance) only use medications to help people. This is called "medication management."

If you want to try a non-medication way to treat your anxiety, you need to find to schedule appointments with a therapist, who is usually a psychologist of social worker, or counselor, etc. A skilled practitioner who uses Cognitive Behavior Therapy can be really good for anxiety.

You keep saying you don't want to take medication unless you have to. Uh ... I think that's the case for most of us ... I didn't exactly run to take an antidepressant ... the idea never occurred to me until my ex confronted me with some repetitiveness in my thoughts and some obsessiveness.

I am so glad this ex (who otherwise was quite difficult) recommended I take meds. It was only when I began to feel better than I realized how disorganized my mind was ... and how much I struggled with focus and concentration independent of feeling depressed. So there is some method to your psychiatrist's thinking that he'll treat one disorder at a time or treat disorders in some type of sequence.

I'm not sure why you're not open to trying out a range of medications to help you feel better. The irony is once you get a medication that really helps, people tend to drop all their anxieties about taking medication. They become so much more involved in life that the medication question just falls away.

Anxiety can be unrelated to ADHD. And even if related, it's not the case that treating your ADHD will naturally calm your anxiety. Anxiety unfortunately can involve a pattern and habit of thinking and worrying and catastrophizing, and that pattern does not just instantly disappear because you're treated for ADHD ... even if the anxiety arose partly as a result of ADHD.

So yes, get to a therapist if you don't want to try medications. These days, I think combining therapy and medication is often the best strategy. The meds can give us a boost that makes doing the non-medication treatment easier and more effective.