ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Mother just told me that I don't have ADD only a bad attitude (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185658)

Lloyd_ 05-16-17 08:00 PM

Mother just told me that I don't have ADD only a bad attitude

I'm filled with rage and could give two ****s about the people I leave behind when I decide to just put and end to all of this.

namazu 05-16-17 09:18 PM

Re: Mother just told me that I don't have ADD only a bad attitude

I'm sorry your mom has that attitude.

You can write her off as ignorant and unhelpful.

Are you able to get treatment for your depression and ADHD at the moment?

Do you have any good outlets to channel/deal with your rage? Exercise, video games, writing, meditation, other?

Lloyd_ 05-16-17 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namazu (Post 1947826)
I'm sorry your mom has that attitude.

You can write her off as ignorant and unhelpful.

Are you able to get treatment for your depression and ADHD at the moment?

Do you have any good outlets to channel/deal with your rage? Exercise, video games, writing, meditation, other?

I think that I need to make some friends but now that I'm older people including few friends I've had over the years are busy with their families or gfs now. No, I am not getting treatment for my depression, only my ADD, don't have health insurance either so that counts me out getting decent counseling whereas 'state funded' programs in my experience are just terrible as far as the unqualified 'therapists' they put in there, I might as well go to the DMV to get counseling.

Traveler5 05-16-17 09:59 PM

Ignore your mom, she just doesn't know any better.

dvdnvwls 05-16-17 10:27 PM

Mothers sometimes hang on very tightly to the false idea that their kid is perfectly normal.

weswes 05-17-17 12:16 AM

sorry and that sucks. is she educated about adhd?

sarahsweets 05-17-17 03:58 AM

Could it be both? I know for me it can be. ;)

dvdnvwls 05-17-17 04:45 AM

I don't expect that Lloyd has any illusions about his cheery optimistic attitude. ;)

It's getting told ADHD has nothing to do with it that's galling.

Johnny Slick 05-17-17 08:14 AM

It could be that his mom has (undiagnosed) ADHD too. In my experience people who have the condition but who just have had to live with it all their lives are pretty much the most unsympathetic people towards ADHD there are, and, well, there's definitely a genetic component to it.

Fuzzy12 05-17-17 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd_ (Post 1947821)
I'm filled with rage and could give two ****s about the people I leave behind when I decide to just put and end to all of this.

I'm so sorry you have to put up with that. It's so frustrating when the people who are supposed to he closest to us are so dismissive ajd invalidating. And infuriatingly wrong.

My mom totally denies the possibility that I might have any sort of mental health problem. Like dvd said I think it's mainly because she thinks I'm perfect and can't see my struggles but also because she doesn't like the idea that I might be struggling. She doesn't want tÚ believe that her previous daughter is suffering from a lifelong impairing disorder....and one that I probably inherited from her!!

Also like Johnny said if she has adhd herself your problems will seem very normal to her...

I get so mad with my family too for their views on mental health and particularly my mental health.

It doesn't matter though what your mother thinks. You (and your psychiatrist) know you've got adhd and it's not a bad attitude and you know yourself better than anyone else. Don't let ignorant people taking about stuff they know nothing about get you down. :grouphug:

Gypsy Willow 05-17-17 10:59 AM

Parents sometimes don't want to admit their child has AD(H)D because they think it's somehow their fault. Even though it's not, so they are in denial. I'm a 52 year old grown woman and my father makes a face like I am evil anytime I mention ADD. Even though he clearly had/has it! LOL! He was hyper as a child and can't sit still very long and hates to read. Gets irritated easily, frustrated easily yet highly intelligent. Of course, his generation didn't know what it was.

dvdnvwls 05-17-17 02:56 PM

Your father's generation did know it was something - they just gave it different names, and they often thought it was because the child was immoral or had bad parents. Not very different from ancient people believing that all diseases and all unexplained problems were forms of divine punishment.

l_ruth_ 05-17-17 11:53 PM

Lloyd hope you are going okay x

psychopathetic 05-18-17 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdnvwls (Post 1947837)
Mothers sometimes hang on very tightly to the false idea that their kid is perfectly normal.

I find this to be so true!

I'm sorry your mother isn't more supportive. Gah that's tough not to have her trust :*(.

Please take good care of yourself.

(((Hugs)))