ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Science & Philosophical Discussion (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=336)
-   -   What is knowledge? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195086)

Fraser_0762 06-08-19 11:28 AM

What is knowledge?
 
Our knowledge is designed to fit into our sense of reality, but our sense of reality is limited by our senses.


What if knowledge is nothing more than what seems to fit, rather than what truly is?


We've all seen optical illusions. Our minds make assumptions about the illusions we see, until the solution to the illusion is revealed to us.


What if our entire sense of reality is just an illusion and our knowledge is merely assumptions based on that illusion?


What if all of our knowledge is fundamentally wrong because we can't escape the illusion of reality in order to see how it is actually performed? :scratch:

Little Missy 06-08-19 11:32 AM

Re: What is knowledge?
 
Then go with what works! :)

Fraser_0762 06-08-19 11:37 AM

Re: What is knowledge?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Missy (Post 2018966)
Then go with what works! :)


What really does work though?


You might find a piece that seems to fit perfectly into the puzzle. But the whole puzzle could be designed to mislead you. Just because you think you're doing it right, doesn't mean you're actually any closer to solving it.

Fraser_0762 06-08-19 11:53 AM

Re: What is knowledge?
 
I'm trying to think of a better way to explain it.



Imagine you have a rubik's cube but you can only ever view it from one side. You may think that it's solved because all the colours on the side you can see all match up. But what if the other sides that you can't see don't match up at all?


Apply the same concept to reality. We may think we understand things, because our knowledge and rules seem to fit what we can percieve. But what if none of it matches up to what we can't percieve? What if we're simply being fooled into believing that we're solving the puzzle, when really, we're just fitting our knowledge around our limited perception?

Little Missy 06-08-19 11:53 AM

Re: What is knowledge?
 
Ah. Then tarry on.

aeon 06-08-19 12:50 PM

Re: What is knowledge?
 
Fraser, what you posit is correct, and it is all we can do.

That said, the scientific method is one means by which we test. A multidisciplinary approach also helps.

Cheers,
Ian

Fraser_0762 06-08-19 01:15 PM

Re: What is knowledge?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeon (Post 2018971)
Fraser, what you posit is correct, and it is all we can do.

That said, the scientific method is one means by which we test. A multidisciplinary approach also helps.

Cheers,
Ian


Yes, but if you base our perception of reality on the concept of only being able to view one side of the rubik's cube. Then everything can appear correct based on what we percieve, but can still fundamentally be wrong based on what we can't percieve (the other sides).

aeon 06-08-19 01:47 PM

Re: What is knowledge?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 (Post 2018974)
Yes, but if you base our perception of reality on the concept of only being able to view one side of the rubik's cube. Then everything can appear correct based on what we percieve, but can still fundamentally be wrong based on what we can't percieve (the other sides).

True, but if it is beyond our perception, then by definition it is beyond our reality, until our perception changes or something reveals itself to us.

I mean, do we have anything else to work with? We can, of course, dream.

Reality is a concept...does it exist beyond our ability to say it does?

That's why I am an agnostic skeptic of sorts, but so too do I dream.

Cheers,
Ian

Fuzzy12 06-08-19 03:30 PM

Re: What is knowledge?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 (Post 2018964)
Our knowledge is designed to fit into our sense of reality, but our sense of reality is limited by our senses.


What if knowledge is nothing more than what seems to fit, rather than what truly is?


We've all seen optical illusions. Our minds make assumptions about the illusions we see, until the solution to the illusion is revealed to us.


What if our entire sense of reality is just an illusion and our knowledge is merely assumptions based on that illusion?


What if all of our knowledge is fundamentally wrong because we can't escape the illusion of reality in order to see how it is actually performed? :scratch:

Yes you are right. We can't actually see or sense or perceive anything as it is. Ie We can't know if we are perceiving it as it is. We can't even be sure that anything actuall "is" including ourselves. I used to call it "living in my world", ie living in this bubble that is defined purely by my own thoughts. Everything that I know of is a part of this bubble. You are a part of my bubble. Who knows if you really exist or what you really are. It used to trouble me quite a bit (not knowing) but strangely I've made my peace with it. At least for now. Anti depressants helped....:scratch:

It's possible that everything we think is knowledge is wrong. A lot of it is but that is one of the beautiful things about science. The ability to be wrong and to keep searching for the right answer. Even then we can never be sure and no matter how much something has been proven there is always the possibility that it is wrong or that everything is wrong. However if we don't know what is the truth and we can never know does it matter what we believe? It's like if we are giving an infinite number of paths that we can each with an infintesimally small chance of being the correct one does it matter which path we take? Especially.comsidering that we don't even know the destination.

Sorry I'm rambling .I'm in a hurry. It's good to see you.

sarek 06-20-19 04:12 PM

Re: What is knowledge?
 
Fraser, you have clearly demonstrated the limitations of the logical mind. Search long enough, run into enough walls, and you will see that logic is not the end all and be all it is presumed to be.

Our minds have done a great job on us, pretending to be our savior in all situations, but as it turns out, the mind is severely limited in its ability to fully comprehend reality.

mildadhd 07-07-19 05:11 PM

Re: What is knowledge?
 
"Who feels it, knows it"

Simple knowledge originates from our instinctual homeostatic, sensory and emotional feeling systems.

Complex knowledge originates from the experiences of our instinctual, homeostatic, sensory and emotional feeling systems.








M


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums