ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Is delayed speech an adhd symptom? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193314)

PI-ADHD 29 09-20-18 02:24 AM

Is delayed speech an adhd symptom?

I start to speaking at 3 years old. Is delayed speech common in adhd? What about you? When did you?

benito 09-20-18 03:32 AM

Re: Is delayed speech an adhd symptom?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PI-ADHD 29 (Post 2006246)
I start to speaking at 3 years old. Is delayed speech common in adhd? What about you? When did you?

my grandmother told my mother that she had to take me to a doctor because I did not speak (I was 3 years old).

namazu 09-20-18 10:15 AM

Delayed speech is not an ADHD symptom, but it can be a symptom of several other conditions that commonly co-occur with ADHD (including speech and language disorders, language-based learning disabilities, and autism).

Fuzzy12 09-20-18 10:58 AM

I think, I vaguely remember Barkley saying that speech might be delayed but I could be wrong.

I was an early talker (think first words were before my first birthday) and a pretty clear talker as well apparently but then I'm not sure if my mom.is the most reliable source.

namazu 09-20-18 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 (Post 2006280)
I think, I vaguely remember Barkley saying that speech might be delayed but I could be wrong.

Barkley has definitely said that the internalization of self-speech is delayed -- it takes us longer to give ourselves instructions silently in our heads instead of talking to ourselves out loud -- but I think that's different from speech being delayed more generally.

But it's possible he also said something about speech in general that I missed!

Fuzzy12 09-20-18 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namazu (Post 2006322)
Barkley has definitely said that the internalization of self-speech is delayed -- it takes us longer to give ourselves instructions silently in our heads instead of talking to ourselves out loud -- but I think that's different from speech being delayed more generally.

But it's possible he also said something about speech in general that I missed!

Yes, I think that's it. Sorry...I shouldn't post when I only remember tidbits of what I've read..:o

Lunamoth 09-20-18 09:48 PM

I have 3 children with ADHD. Only my youngest child had delayed speech - he began speaking in sentences around 3yo. He has just been diagnosed with auditory processing disorder.

PI-ADHD 29 09-21-18 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunamoth (Post 2006346)
I have 3 children with ADHD. Only my youngest child had delayed speech - he began speaking in sentences around 3yo. He has just been diagnosed with auditory processing disorder.

As I know auditory processing disorder(apd) is common in adhd. I'm in doubt about I may have apd. Because sometimes (rarely) I hear speaking sound but can't understand or misunderstand or lately understand the word. So they need to repeat the word.