ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Rages (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195363)

Kunga Dorji 11-05-19 04:59 AM

Re: Rages

Quote:

Originally Posted by tudorose (Post 2021392)
Thanks everyone some great responses here.

I think the rage comes from feelings of powerlessness and abandonment. And the expectation of humiliation and ridicule instead of assistance

I'm still doing trauma processing and that's bringing a lot of stuff up for me.

Most of the time I feel like it takes everything I have to keep it together and not be crying all the time. And I hate to use the word 'depressed so I'll say instead that depression is there. At least now through the therapy I know why I've spent almost all my life hating myself. I was trained to. :(

I'll check out that app I do think mindfulness and the first aid kit are great ideas

One thing that I have learned from my personal experience and also from using mindfulness with others, is that we are often wrong about the causation.
Ie we feel threatened and we react-- then needing to "make up an excuse for the way we acted. I think this is something I learned from Prof Dan Siegel.

Here he talks about the "downstairs brain" firing off too much.
The trick is that we do not know that this process is happening.
This talk is brillant

Mindfulness is a difficult skill to use effectively, and I think that it is much better to seek formal training rather than use an app.

Daniel1970 11-06-19 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monox D. I-Fly (Post 2021367)
What app is this about?

The app is called "Ten Percent". It used to be called "10% Happier". It's a mindfulness app I got for my iPhone. I don't work for them, I just found it makes mindfulness/meditation practice easy and convenient.

D.

Monox D. I-Fly 11-07-19 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel1970 (Post 2021434)
The app is called "Ten Percent". It used to be called "10% Happier". It's a mindfulness app I got for my iPhone. I don't work for them, I just found it makes mindfulness/meditation practice easy and convenient.

D.

Is it available for free at Google Playstore?

Daniel1970 11-08-19 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monox D. I-Fly (Post 2021449)
Is it available for free at Google Playstore?

I don't know - it's available for free on the iPhone's store (the name escapes me right now, Apple store or iTunes or whatever) There's a lot of free content, and then the more advanced courses require a subscription. I used it for free for over a year and then took the plunge.

Just do a search for "Ten Percent" on the Google Playstore and see if it's available.

D.

Monox D. I-Fly 11-12-19 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel1970 (Post 2021473)
I don't know - it's available for free on the iPhone's store (the name escapes me right now, Apple store or iTunes or whatever) There's a lot of free content, and then the more advanced courses require a subscription. I used it for free for over a year and then took the plunge.

Just do a search for "Ten Percent" on the Google Playstore and see if it's available.

D.

I did it and after checking it, I'm not really interested so I skipped it.

Urobouros 01-08-20 06:50 PM

I use mindfulness exercises but also have found that playing guitar, exercise and carving are excellent outlets. There's something deeply satisfying about wailing on a chunk of wood when I'm worked up!

Rebelyell 01-08-20 08:24 PM

I try to channel it by cleaning,or like others say playing guitar exercising etc.helps when I take my meds on a regular basis,boy that was hard to admit n kind of embarrassing..

Kunga Dorji 01-09-20 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kunga Dorji (Post 2021411)
One thing that I have learned from my personal experience and also from using mindfulness with others, is that we are often wrong about the causation.
Ie we feel threatened and we react-- then needing to "make up an excuse for the way we acted. I think this is something I learned from Prof Dan Siegel.

Here he talks about the "downstairs brain" firing off too much.
The trick is that we do not know that this process is happening.
This talk is brillant

Mindfulness is a difficult skill to use effectively, and I think that it is much better to seek formal training rather than use an app.

I forgot the link(s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0T_2NNoC68

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXxrJEnIboM

Kunga Dorji 01-09-20 09:29 PM

One thing to be aware of in this area is that to be truly effective you need to stay with it long enough.
The sympathetic (stress _ response, once activated takes about 20 minutes to settle, and while it is active it will drag your attention back to negative thoughts and feed itself.
That is why a long enough period of meditation is required to calm things down properly.
Unless you get to that point the agitation might resume.
However, our memories are "filed" according to emotional state- so they may trigger recall of some difficult event that still carries that emotional charge, and that winds you up even more.

You end up in a loop.

Drogheda98 01-11-20 04:31 PM

well, when I get frustrated I try to remember a good time for self soothing, doesn't matter with who, even if it's just a weird but good memory of me defeating super Mario bro's or something.

if you want my actual advice, knowledge from my own therapy, and it might not be the same thing for you, try to imagine in your head your own mother, father, and self, and remember the best time and worst time at the same time.

that good time with either of them, is your good place to go to when the switch get's flipped the wrong way.

just my 2 cents