ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Men with ADD/ADHD (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Noise makes my ADD worse, can't focus on work! (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195861)

Melfikus 07-12-20 05:08 AM

Noise makes my ADD worse, can't focus on work!

There's a lot of construction work happening near my house. I work in a home office (programmer) and it's really impacting my concentration to a point where I can't focus for more than a few minutes at a time.

I was wondering if anyone has had good experience with soundproofing a room? I'm not interested in any expensive projects but something like acoustic panels on the wall, can it make a big enough difference or is it a waste of money?

I would love some actionable advice on this front from members with experience, thanks!

Greyhound1 07-12-20 09:24 AM

Re: Noise makes my ADD worse, can't focus on work!

Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately, I don’t have any experience with sound proofing a room but I think it would be quite a bit of work and fairly expensive. I think it would be quite expensive to completely block out all the outside noises.

I’ve found using a sleep machine that produces white noise to be very effective in covering up noises which grab my attention. It has a volume control and completely drowns them out.

You may want to try one before going through the expense of truly soundproofing your room. I got mine for about $20 and it works great. Just a thought.

Lunacie 07-12-20 01:49 PM

Noise is a very big distraction for most of us. It's one reason I don't go to
parties, with so many people speaking at once, I can't focus on just one voice.

I keep an electric fan running in my bedroom/office to make white noise so
outside noises are less distracting. But I live in a mostly quiet neighborhood.

I suspect your noise level is much louder than mine. Still a fan might help.

Also if you don't find music too distracting a good pair of headphones or
earbuds with soft music might be helpful.

Another thought. Put your ear next to the wall and listen to the outside noise.
Then put your ear to the window and listen again. It may be louder coming
through the window in which case tacking a blanket across the window may
reduce the noise a bit.

Or maybe you could move your home office to room on the other side of your
house, away from the construction?

acdc01 07-12-20 08:32 PM

No soundproofing experience but I there are industrial strength ear muffs you can buy for fairly cheap. About $20 for some. It won’t block out all the sound tho.

I have active noise canceling music headphones too. The best I’ve ever tried was the Sony brand noise canceling tech. But I got the Bose quiet comfort ii ones because sony’s can’t be connected to two devices at one time (at least the wh-1000m3s couldn’t. They may have another model out by now).

I was wearing the Bose last night. I could still hear my fire alarm ringing if I didn’t turn on music (it was low in battery and I didn’t have a ladder). With music, and not blaring music, just normal sound level, it was quiet enough I could never mind it.

If I had to pick between the music headphones and the industrial strength ear muffs, I would pick the music headphones but only if I can stand listening to music too. But they wil cost about $200 on sale if you get the best wireless models. Regular price would be even more.