ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forums Help, Q&A (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Where Were You When The Lights Went Out? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166741)

Maurice 10-29-14 08:50 PM

Where Were You When The Lights Went Out?

In other words what in the f*** is going on with this forum? It crashed last Friday and didn't get back oniine for over 24 hours. It crashed again today sometime around noon. I just got back on.

I think somebody needs to look into updating this forum. It crashed another time this week too, I just forget the time and the date. I know this site is very very buggy. But I think this is borderline ridiculous. And then when it's up and running again everyone seems to just act like absolutely nothing happened? Am I alone here?

Flory 10-29-14 08:57 PM

Re: Where Were You When The Lights Went Out?

yeah, bad times....4-5 outages in the last week.....

i was on the can a couple times when it happened trying to find something to do while i did what i needed to do ;)

LOLS

Andi 10-29-14 09:18 PM

There's only so much you can do and the first pass of issues was a drive went bad but apparently that should not have caused the outage but did. I haven't received feedback for the other outages yet but will let you know as soon as I do.

Please note that we have emailed David each time we're aware that it's down. This unfortunately isn't the first time we've had issues with going down and we gave up being frustrated about it and everything else a long time ago. Waste of energy. The one thing to consider here is that no matter how much we feel we're entitled to something better, we don't pay for the service that David provides. It is free...even the donation function is broken :) We're lucky to have what we have here; friends and family is better than having nothing at all.

Maurice 10-29-14 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andi (Post 1693150)
There's only so much you can do and the first pass of issues was a drive went bad but apparently that should not have caused the outage but did. I haven't received feedback for the other outages yet but will let you know as soon as I do.

Please note that we have emailed David each time we're aware that it's down. This unfortunately isn't the first time we've had issues with going down and we gave up being frustrated about it and everything else a long time ago. Waste of energy. The one thing to consider here is that no matter how much we feel we're entitled to something better, we don't pay for the service that David provides. It is free...even the donation function is broken :) We're lucky to have what we have here; friends and family is better than having nothing at all.

Thanks a lot Andi! I really appreciate the fast answer. It was frustrating for me because after I got done playing around with my modem, my router, calling my ISP provider, trying to solve the problem I couldn't. And then when it came back up, nobody acted like anthing had happened.

I appreciate the fact that it is free. But I don't agree that because it's free, that nobody should worry about it. I am positive I am not alone when I say that even on my limited income I would be more than happy to pay for a membership to THIS forum. Last night in frustration I registered in another ADD forum, with a burner email address, just in case, and I was so glad I did. Nobody on that forum had posted since 2012!!

I have zero doubt that this is the best of the best as far as forums on ADD/ADHD go. We have the best and some of the brightest members here. I honestly believe that there is no better forum on the interweb. I for one would be totally willing to help fix these problems and have a worry-free ADD Forums. We have no lack of IT people on here that I bet wold be happy to make us proud of this site.

I believe to a lot of peeps this is their lifeline.

stef 10-29-14 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maurice (Post 1693169)

I believe to a lot of peeps this is their lifeline.

Yup! and I have been through some difficult times lately, I really needed to be here and then the database error message...

Maurice 10-29-14 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stef (Post 1693171)
yup! And i have been through some difficult times lately, i really needed to be here and then the database error message...

precisely.

Flory 10-29-14 10:17 PM

i agree andi, its nobodies fault as such.

the site has helped me in so so many ways and can appreciate its probably difficult to address the issues and the financial element, etc....

edit: id also like to point out that this is probably the most frequented, highest amount of members adhd forum on the internet, we consistently have the same characters around (sadly a few great posters have left) but even on a slow day i can leave for 6-8 hours and come back and see 15-20 threads updated, new threads etc. i'm no it expert but i can imagine it takes a lot of expertise and cash with the servers, databases to keep this place up and running

sadly the maintenace is an issue and there isnt much the red mods can even do about it really :( only the owner can do anything

i guess as annoying as it is it's not something that would ever stop me from coming here. we can only hope for better days :P

Greyhound1 10-29-14 10:35 PM

Cheers to whomever got us back up and running!

Also, thanks to whomever posted about the outage on ADDF Facebook page. That was reassuring to me.

Maurice 10-30-14 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyhound1 (Post 1693183)
Cheers to whomever got us back up and running!

Also, thanks to whomever posted about the outage on ADDF Facebook page. That was reassuring to me.

As far as I can tell it's nobody's "fault" that the site is up and running again.

It's MAGIC!! Cheers to Magic!!

dvdnvwls 10-30-14 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maurice (Post 1693246)
As far as I can tell it's nobody's "fault" that the site is up and running again.

It's MAGIC!! Cheers to Magic!!

It seems that unless you've decided to volunteer to host the site and pay for its continued operation, and also convinced the current owner to let you do that, then allowing Magic to handle the outages is indeed your only option.

Little Missy 10-30-14 03:41 AM

Every time I see the database error page it fills me with so much anxiety that it reminds me of the 5 day power outage over Christmas last year when I was stuck in MI alone with nothing but the radio through an ice storm and so much ice I was waiting for the giant old flowering crab tree outside to break in through the windows. Creaking, and snapping...

This place is like an addiction to being placated through the worst of times and then having the Dr. change your Rx and pulling the rug out from under you.

When I woke up just a bit go I turned on my laptop to see if I should go back to bed or not if the forum was down. So glad it is here.

BrainFreeze 10-30-14 04:34 AM

Phew...thank %^&* it's not just me. I was beginning to take it personally after I started a thread or replied - the system crashed. I know my words are insanely riveting, but it was getting to the point that I thought I needed to start talking about gardening or the state of my neighbours yard....

sarahsweets 10-30-14 05:30 AM

I was all ready to settle in an answer some threads I'd been meaning to. I try and remind myself that the powers that be have personal lives and the site is free.

Fuzzy12 10-30-14 05:42 AM

It's so frustrating every time the site goes down though I do get a lot more work done!!!! :D

Andy & Co, thank you so much for everything you do. It's much appreciated!!! I agree that this is one the best support forums around and not just for ADHD. I'd rather post here about any of my mental health disorders (and well, EVERYTHING else too!!) than anywhere else. I've seen a few other forums dedicated to bipolar disorder, depression, BPD, etc but I still prefer this place.

:grouphug::grouphug:

BellaVita 10-30-14 05:45 AM

These forums are part of my daily routine, it really messes me up emotionally (I had a panic attack) when it's not working right....

Glad it's back up though.