ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Careers/Job Impact (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Annual Income (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188221)

cobain67 10-06-17 07:50 PM

Annual Income

Greetings all,

Just out of curiosity, how much do you make annually? Are you medicated/unmedicated? How satisfied are you with your current financial situation?

I'm somewhat interested in hearing how meds have impacted your earning potential in the short and long term.

Thanks!

Fraser_0762 10-06-17 07:52 PM

Re: Annual Income

Unmedicated
Unsatisfied

Greyhound1 10-06-17 08:35 PM

Hard to tell if meds. helped any with income for me. They have helped me perform my job better and more efficiently. Meds. probably saved me more from losing my job and income much more than gaining financially.

They just helped me get to the level of professionalism & productivity that was already expected of me. I had gotten by being unmedicated for years by using OCD, anxiety and fear for motivation and focus.

When I finally could no longer handle getting by with very bad coping skills. It felt literally like I was going insane it was so severe. I was much more concerned that was the case than I ever considered ADHD.

After 10 years of failed treatments, I was diagnosed by accident by my primary care Dr. She and medication have changed my life for the better. No tangible income though which I could directly contribute to the addition of medication.

I was diagnosed 4 years ago at age 45

acdc01 10-06-17 09:24 PM

I make around $70k. Though I would make around $100k if I worked full time instead of parttime.

In one way I'm satisfied cause I do have enough money. In another I'm not cause adhd is definitely the reason I'm underpaid. Also, kind of wish I went into a different branch that paid more in general.

I wasn't diagnosed till late. Meds don't really help me much. Just with paying attention by a little bit. What would have helped was just an earlier diagnosis so I would have taken my weaknesses more seriously. I would have put more safety precautions in place which would have made a world of difference in my career.

mrzyphl 10-07-17 01:21 PM

I was diagnosed with ADD/PI at 52 years old. I tried wellbutrin and concerta for 6 months up to the highest dosage with 0 effect.
My GP won't even let me try most meds because of my elevated BP. So basically, I've never really been on any medication.
I've been stuck at $53,000/yr for the past 12 years without a penny raise. I feel I could be making $75,000/yr if I didn't have ADD.

Lunacie 10-07-17 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrzyphl (Post 1967145)
I was diagnosed with ADD/PI at 52 years old. I tried wellbutrin and concerta for 6 months up to the highest dosage with 0 effect.
My GP won't even let me try most meds because of my elevated BP. So basically, I've never really been on any medication.
I've been stuck at $53,000/yr for the past 12 years without a penny raise. I feel I could be making $75,000/yr if I didn't have ADD.

I also have high blood pressure but haven't tried stimulant meds. I found by
accident that Omega 3 works really well for me with focus and attention.

acdc01 10-10-17 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrzyphl (Post 1967145)

I have raised BP too. I take meds for it. Can you take stimulants while taking BP meds?

kkristin17 10-10-17 02:16 AM

Uhhh let's just say I don't make nearly enough :)

I can't wait to hit that $75k/yr mark eventually though...

That's supposedly the psychological "sweet spot" annual income where you aren't financially stressed (in the U.S. at least).

I'd be pretty happy about $40k/yr at this point in my life though.

Luvmybully 10-10-17 08:25 PM

My husband is the adhd bread winner (I have not worked for a paycheck in over 26 years). He is not medicated, they just don't work well for him. I am not sure I want to say his income, but it is well over 6 figures.

He has been able to structure his work environment around his adhd, instead of trying to structure his adhd around his work environment. It works very well for him.

kkristin17 10-10-17 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvmybully (Post 1967541)
My husband is the adhd bread winner (I have not worked for a paycheck in over 26 years). He is not medicated, they just don't work well for him. I am not sure I want to say his income, but it is well over 6 figures.

He has been able to structure his work environment around his adhd, instead of trying to structure his adhd around his work environment. It works very well for him.

Good for him (and you)!!!