ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sensory (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Synesthesia, anyone? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48564)

justAwierd-o 02-02-08 09:57 PM

Synesthesia, anyone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

I have letter/number -> color

& a little bit of color -> sound

But it's more of an association thing than a sensory one for me.... (which I think is the milder form)

lars 02-02-08 10:09 PM

Re: Synesthesia, anyone?

Very cool. I've always been very interested in this phenomenon.

I've actually exeprienced it myself a time or two in the past while under the influence of various drugs, like LSD or psilocybe cubensis mushrooms, but I have never experienced it in "normal life" per se.

I understand that some people are born with this, and I have always been very fascinated by that fact.

PS For the record, the LSD and mushroom experiences that I refer to above took place about 20 years ago. ;)

ozchris 02-03-08 12:34 AM

I've also experienced this effect on a few different substances (many years ago) but never under normal 'conditions'.

In a music production course I did a few years ago I had two classmates that hadn't met each other previously but they both experienced colors as we listened to different tones and audio clips. We did a quick blind test one day after class and they both wrote down the EXACT same color for different tones we played for them. We must have done over 30 different audio clips and they both matched up 100% for which colors they experienced. Fascinating stuff.

dyingInside 02-07-08 08:41 PM

I can't say I've experienced it. I heard about it in relation to Hildegaard Bingen. In a sense I am jealous, because if I had this, maybe I could have perfect pitch instead of just relative pitch. On the other hand maybe it would get annoying.

Dory 02-07-08 10:13 PM

HM. I didn't have the patience to read thru all of the wikp. info and I have no idea if this is relevant. I dont see letters or numbers in different colors. However, in my mind spoken or written words evoke different colors. For instance when I hear the word cat in my mind i dont see a cat.. but rather the color orange. Or ice cream i see the color purple. I've never really thought anything about it... and I think I've only ever mentioned it to one other person. Is this the same thing or a form of it? i just thought that it happened to everyone. I also find that I dont remember things by their name, such as for instance i couldn't tell you the name of my deoderant, but I know what color the bottle is. I see everything as a color... rather than the object or its name.

EvilSockMonkey 02-07-08 11:18 PM

Interesting...I, too, have always been interested in synesthesia, but never have experienced it...ever.

But as a side note, I have noticed that when when I am NOT on my medication (Concerta 54mg), if I close my eyes I have NEVER been able to focus on any point in the darkness of my eyelids; if I try to focus my eyes on a spot, my eyes "chase" the tracers and lights, but the tracers and lights never remain stationary or, at least, calm.

But, when I feel my medication kick in, if I close my eyes the tracers and lights are actually calm, if not stationary, and I can actually focus on any point in the darkness for a prolonged period (not that there is a whole lot to see...)

EHM

justAwierd-o 02-12-08 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dory (Post 543197)
HM. I didn't have the patience to read thru all of the wikp. info and I have no idea if this is relevant. I dont see letters or numbers in different colors. However, in my mind spoken or written words evoke different colors. For instance when I hear the word cat in my mind i dont see a cat.. but rather the color orange. Or ice cream i see the color purple. I've never really thought anything about it... and I think I've only ever mentioned it to one other person. Is this the same thing or a form of it? i just thought that it happened to everyone. I also find that I dont remember things by their name, such as for instance i couldn't tell you the name of my deoderant, but I know what color the bottle is. I see everything as a color... rather than the object or its name.

I'm not an expert, but it seems like that might be on the, erm, spectrum :)
Cool :)

adhdogwalker 02-13-08 12:33 PM

So I'm going to confess to not having read all the wikipedia info., but I will share this. I associate colors with everything, and I see everything in either colors or "paintings." I have colors that I see in my mind that are different and far more brilliant than anything that I could actually perceive with my eyes. I often see complex abstract paintings when thinking of a theory or idea (usually when I'm trying to come up with a new theory of myself and my existence). I also see very detailed, realistic paintings for certain concepts (usually very explicit scientific or literary ones). When I write a poem or story, I close my eyes and look at the images that spring forth, then struggle endlessly to find the right words to explain what I see. Sometimes these visions take place on a screen that is just out of reach, other times, I experience them as vividly as if I were watching a movie. There are times when these perceptions are stronger than others (when I'm manic they're extraordinarily vivid, when I'm depressed, they're a bit more grey and amorphous). I'm bipolar in addition to ADHD, so I've been wondering lately if my synesthesia (if it can be called that) means that I'm just one step shy of full-on hallucinations or if it's something a little more innocuous than that. At any rate, I am grateful that I am able to experience a world eternally bathed in color.

justAwierd-o 02-14-08 01:34 PM

Well, I didn't read all of the wikipedia article either :)

I think that's pretty cool, dogwalkder. I can relate to the imagery, but sounds like your world is even more colorful than mine (i'm envious :)).

I had worried about them being close to hallucinations, too.. but I also do remember reading an article which stated that there has been no found link between synesthesia and schizophrenia or anything. I have no clue where that article is right now though..

Do you paint at all as well? Or do you illustrate your stories? Maybe you should! :)

somerandomguy 02-08-09 09:10 PM

I just came across this old post and thought that it was interesting

I'm bipolar/adhd (dr daniel amen described "ring of fire").
I'm good in math and automatically associate each number with a color and different combinations(addition, multiplication, etc) with colors as well as a feeling/mood. Really helps with doing problems quickly.
Music always gives me certain colors as well as well as a light show in my head if i close my eyes.

Interesting, i had never heard of this before.

mpcp1 03-10-09 05:11 PM

I too have letter/number, which can be difficult when I encounter written numbers that are colored differently from how I see them. For example with bus schedules that are colored and numbered.
I also see colors with sound, but nothing vivid except for with music.

As far back as I can remember I have always associated numbers/letters with colors, and I assumed that everyone else did as well. It wasn't until about 6 years ago that I discovered that I am in the minority, a very small minority, and that few other people associate numbers/letters/sounds with colors.

stef 03-10-09 05:47 PM

Words have flavors!

reesah 03-11-09 12:02 AM

color/sound/smell and taste/sound

stef 03-11-09 08:00 AM

cool - taste/sound - I can't imagine that combination.
Oh I kind of have color/taste too. I hate most shades of yellow, they are like those yellow and orange "dots" candies. but highlighter yellow, is like mountain dew or lemonade.

DeathMetal2000 05-31-12 05:25 AM

I never realized I had this until I found out other people couldn't see sounds or music and couldn't taste certain colors. I thought this was normal before, amazing gift IMO.