ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site Suggestions & Feedback (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Website not secure warning? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195182)

mildadhd 08-18-19 02:21 PM

Website not secure warning?

Hi

I wonder how much the "site not secure" warning I get, as I am logging into ADDForums, has to do with the very low attendance here at ADDForums?

M

namazu 08-18-19 03:40 PM

Re: Website not secure warning?

My guess would be that it's not the main factor, but it certainly doesn't help.
It's a symptom of the age and lack of upgrades to the forum.
David, are you listening?

midnightstar 08-18-19 05:56 PM

yeah i wish David would update the forum :(

excel 08-18-19 06:56 PM

Does David sign onto the forums

tudorose 08-18-19 07:45 PM

I was on a v bulletin car forum. It was a comprehensive resource like here. To upgrade the owner had to move to a different server. A lot of the info as lost like all the thanks and the pics got scrambled up so tutorial threads with pics no longer made sense because the pics didn't match the story. The only way he could upgrade and ensure continuation of the forum was to bring in a subscription model. That didn't do down too well.

excel 08-18-19 08:20 PM

I just hope it doesn't go down again

SashaBV 08-19-19 01:42 AM

Yeah, it can also be expensive to upgrade these forums and if the responsible person or persons doing it isn't so knowledgeable at doing it, things can be lost. Even users can be locked out sometimes. That's happened to me before...people had to reregister on those forums, including me.

mildadhd 08-19-19 03:56 PM

Interesting.

Maybe it would be easiest to start a new vbulletin ADDForums, and all register again?

That way, more new people might be interested in joining and discussing things, and less worry about their computers being hijacked?

Most common forum threads/questions are usually repeated/brought up by newer members again and again, anyway.

Maybe some of the most preferred threads like dizfriz's corner could be copy and pasted to a new forum?

It's like a ghost town in the present state.

If I understand correctly vbulletin offers up to date web site security features in the new versions?

M

excel 08-19-19 08:19 PM

I never see that message when I sign on

tudorose 08-19-19 09:07 PM

Migration to an updated version of the forum is expensive and time consuming. The concept of making this read only and starting again might be cheaper and easier in the long run. There's a lot of value in the threads here. Too much value to be lost.

And yes the website not secure message depending on your antivirus software may not even let you into the site at all.

I wish David would come on here so we can find out what he needs from us and talk about what is actually doable.

Most of us are also on Facebook. If there was a new platform we could share the group to get more members. And start over and build it up again like in 2002 /2003

mildadhd 08-19-19 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tudorose (Post 2020018)
Migration to an updated version of the forum is expensive and time consuming. The concept of making this read only and starting again might be cheaper and easier in the long run. There's a lot of value in the threads here. Too much value to be lost.

And yes the website not secure message depending on your antivirus software may not even let you into the site at all.

I wish David would come on here so we can find out what he needs from us and talk about what is actually doable.

Most of us are also on Facebook. If there was a new platform we could share the group to get more members. And start over and build it up again like in 2002 /2003

It would be nice to have David's permission to use addforums to discuss our options, how we could help improve things here , or starting new...etc.

I have read in the past that ADDForums was valued at over $100 000, but I do not have the background in economics to understand what that means?

(Edit my primary intention in starting this thread was not to try and overthrow ADDForums, just learning/realizing as this discussion goes, how complicated upgrading old forums is)

M

meadd823 10-12-19 01:52 PM

I think another part of the problem is that this site is not mobile friendly. A lot of people use their mobile device for all internet access. I could see the forum on my cell phone however it was not cell phone user friendly.

I rarely came here because I did not use my larger desk top PC. I recently started a job that requires frequent internet access and is also not cell phone user friendly therefore a friend gave me her lap top so I could chart on my patients for work without needing a magnifying glass to see what was going on

Lunacie 10-12-19 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meadd823 (Post 2020983)
I think another part of the problem is that this site is not mobile friendly. A lot of people use their mobile device for all internet access. I could see the forum on my cell phone however it was not cell phone user friendly.

I rarely came here because I did not use my larger desk top PC. I recently started a job that requires frequent internet access and is also not cell phone user friendly therefore a friend gave me her lap top so I could chart on my patients for work without needing a magnifying glass to see what was going on

I don't know how people use their phones for everything. I just got a new
(used) all-in-one computer with a bigger screen and the first thing I did was
increase the size of everything from 100% to 125% so I can read stuff.
Getting old sucks.

benito 10-13-19 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunacie (Post 2020997)
Getting old sucks.

:giggle::lol: