ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Careers/Job Impact (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   ADD = asset (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151638)

Daydreamin22 10-04-13 02:03 AM

ADD = asset

http://www.forbes.com/sites/glasshee...t-distract-me/

I have found this article reassuring and enlightening. Hope you all do too.

BellaVita 10-04-13 02:04 AM

Re: ADD = asset

For me, all its been is a pain in the a**.

Corina86 10-04-13 07:01 AM

If only that were true. However, I don't have any of the special qualities listed here:
- I'm not able to multitask; doing one thing at a time is hard enough, doing several things means I never get anything done- and I tried it, btw
- I don't think I'm more creative than others; yes, I might have more ideas, but not necessarily better or to the point; it's also very difficult for me to put my creativity into practice and make my ideas work
- I wouldn't make a good boss because I'm neither self-confident, nor assertive, qualities that a leader needs imo
- I wouldn't make a good entrepreneur, because I have anxiety and I can think of a million ways everything could go wrong

Call me boring, but I work much better in a quite environment, structured by some guidelines (not strict rules, though), a non-restrictive schedule and under some supervision. I also prefer tasks that use logic and analysis, because these are my strong points. I guess we are all different though.

Fuzzy12 10-04-13 07:11 AM

Sigh, everything that Corina said. :rolleyes:

Except that logic and analysis are not my strong point but neither is intuition. :rolleyes:

Stevuke79 10-04-13 10:15 AM

I'm really conflicted when I read articles like this. On the one hand, I really want someone who is coming to grips with a Dx to read this. On the other hand, this article is really unfair to most people with ADHD.

FiWhile I wouldn't call this article "accurate" from a scientific or medical perspective, if I take my passion out of it I have to admit it's no worse than you should expect from a magazine. The symptoms they cited are all correct - and then they relate those symptoms to people who can get those symptoms WELL under control.

For instance the intern tapping his pen.
I'm going to say he has ADHD or ASD and he's overstimulated by the sounds of the AC and the the plumbing in the walls.. and he must tap his pen to avoid peeling his skin off. If the article had told it's story through the end of the meeting they would have mentioned how he started looking up at the ceiling, moving his lips, or picking his ear, and while the whole room rolls their eyes at him because they can't tell that in addition to this, he's paying close attention, his CEO says, "Hey, pay attention.".

His colleague however, the presenter with ADHD, is able to get through the meeting without picking her hair, scratching her arms, bitting her lips or moving back and forth while speaking. Good for her, but that's not most of us.

Stevuke79 10-04-13 10:21 AM

And what's just unfair, and this part I can't even blame the article for, .. this all assumes you can sit through lectures k-12 in a traditional school environment with your ego intact.

sarahsweets 10-04-13 10:50 AM

sorry-bunk.

Tony72 10-04-13 12:33 PM

Stevuke, more or less what I was gonna say.

One thing though, the paying attention to everything that I keep hearing about--anyone actually have that? I really don't notice details like that. I write and want to make a living off it but not innately seeing details bothers me. I think I used too. Like reading, I used to read every single sign and sticker I came across. Now, not so much. I don't know if life just beat that out of me, but...ok, I'm going on a tangent. But the details thing. I don't see them unless specifically looking. I'm usually just in my head and oblivious to the outside world. I know I'm not alone in that, but I'm curious how prevalent the other side of the coin is.

Tulip7171 10-04-13 12:39 PM

I don't really like articles like this. While it brings attention to the disorder, it downplays how debilitating it can be for people.

I think it re-enforces the idea that we are just being lazy or not trying hard enough to NTers.

"See these people have ADD & are successfully running their own companies! Why can't you remember to save that file after updating it?!"

Needed to add:

I bet they eat cheese sandwiches & M&Ms for every meal & there's so much crap in their cars they can barely fit in themselves & their purses! lol

AshT 10-04-13 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corina86 (Post 1548724)
If only that were true. However, I don't have any of the special qualities listed here:
- I'm not able to multitask; doing one thing at a time is hard enough, doing several things means I never get anything done- and I tried it, btw
- I don't think I'm more creative than others; yes, I might have more ideas, but not necessarily better or to the point; it's also very difficult for me to put my creativity into practice and make my ideas work
- I wouldn't make a good boss because I'm neither self-confident, nor assertive, qualities that a leader needs imo
- I wouldn't make a good entrepreneur, because I have anxiety and I can think of a million ways everything could go wrong

Call me boring, but I work much better in a quite environment, structured by some guidelines (not strict rules, though), a non-restrictive schedule and under some supervision. I also prefer tasks that use logic and analysis, because these are my strong points. I guess we are all different though.

Most of those don't really seem adhd related negatives. If the reason for not being a good leader is due to confidence, you can work on that. But what does that have to do with ADHD hindering you? Likewise for the anxiety issues, surely those are issues all people with anxiety would have?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulip7171 (Post 1548865)
I don't really like articles like this. While it brings attention to the disorder, it downplays how debilitating it can be for people.

I think it re-enforces the idea that we are just being lazy or not trying hard enough to NTers.

"See these people have ADD & are successfully running their own companies! Why can't you remember to save that file after updating it?!"

Needed to add:

I bet they eat cheese sandwiches & M&Ms for every meal & there's so much crap in their cars they can barely fit in themselves & their purses! lol

The whole point of the article is to express positives of ADHD. Not to show how debilitating it is, or give a balanced argument.

Whenever there's an article on the negatives and strong impact of ADHD, you never hear such an uproar about such an unbiased portrayal, that 'no positives of adhd are shown'. Are we wanting every single positive adhd article to make sure they express all the negatives too but not the vice versa?

Why do I never hear people with Aspergers complaining about positive articles written about their condition?

Quote:

How so?

Also, i'd just like to add I have no opinion whatsoever of this article, am neither for or against.

silivrentoliel 10-04-13 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshT (Post 1549035)

Whenever there's an article on the negatives and strong impact of ADHD, you never hear such an uproar about such an unbiased portrayal, that 'no positives of adhd are shown'. Are we wanting every single positive adhd article to make sure they express all the negatives too but not the vice versa?

That's because, to most of us with severe ADHD, there are no positives.

I have to admit, I only read to the part about the lady with the puppies (she worked at some service dog something or other)... I'm jealous. I can do tons of things at once, but I'm crap at remembering any long term project- unless the deadline is looming...

And yeah, maybe I do think outside the box- to NTs - but it's not outside to the box to me... it just makes the most sense.

I do, however, have a good intuition. I didn't see that mentioned in there, but Fuzzy said something about it.

I get they are trying to say it's not all bad... but they are painting it to look like everyone with ADHD can perform so well... and not everyone can.

Tony72 10-04-13 11:00 PM

It usually bothers me because not a single one I've ever read talks about the wide differences there can be between symptoms, severity, or varying severity between people with the same symptoms. Or the high likely-hood of co-morbidity and the extra problems that presents. I never knew how prevalent it was for people to suffer from multiple avenues before this forum. Never even read a whiff of it. To be fair though, it seems ADD isn't alone in that regard.

Whenever I've read those articles the writer is paints ADD with a very big brush. I understand they can't dive into every avenue and every intricacy of each avenue, but they can acknowledge that they're there. They can do more than that, but at the very least. Forget all the other variables like upbringing, family situation, monetary situation, treatment availability, personality differences, skill differences, luck, timing, and a hundred other factors. Those articles take a very specific subset of ADD symptoms and qualities and present them as if every sufferer has them and to the same degree. And they never give the negative aspect of those qualities. Only the possible advantages. It makes people who don't understand the disorder--or don't want to--think we're all capable of what was mentioned. And then they can 'safely' go back to what they already believe--don't want to, too lazy, looking for excuses, etc. Only now they might think we're choosing not to be successful when we have all these 'advantages' over them.

That article isn't anywhere near the worst offender I've seen. If anything it looks like well intentioned ignorance. I'm guessing she just doesn't know or understand the disorder very well. Her thinking that four people can serve as a sample size kind of reinforces that belief for me. The article is also making me reconsider trying to sell some articles as a freelancer. I'm rethinking my belief that someone should know a subject if they write about it.

dvdnvwls 10-05-13 02:37 AM

There's the concept that ADHD is an asset.

And there's the concept that even if it's not an asset, well, at least it's not all bad.

Sorry folks. ADHD is all bad. Every last bit of it. Even if you don't really have ADHD and you only have the slightest few of the symptoms, even those are all bad.

People WITH ADHD can be good. That has nothing to do with it.

Or else when are we getting the article that says "Cancer is good for you! Look at all the amazing people who have had cancer! Don't you wish you had cancer too after reading these amazing stories!"

Stevuke79 10-05-13 03:20 AM

LOL - look at Lance Armstrong! I wouldn't even attempt the Tour de France without at least a little salivary gland neoplasm. No shot otherwise.

BellaVita 10-05-13 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevuke79 (Post 1549284)
LOL - look at Lance Armstrong! I wouldn't even attempt the Tour de France without at least a little salivary gland neoplasm. No shot otherwise.

Or you could always use his real method...