ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Hi Everyone... It's been a LONG time (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194360)

KarmanMonkey 01-22-19 01:00 PM

Hi Everyone... It's been a LONG time

Hi everyone,

Sorry I've been out of touch; there are a variety of contributing factors, but here are some of the highlights:

1) Wife had a missed miscarriage

2) Wife and I subsequently had a successful pregnancy (now have a 4yo boy and a 4mo girl at home)

3) Time management has been an increasing issue, particularly since the other person in my role at work has been on medical leave for several months (and thus my workload has effectively doubled)

4) My physical health has tanked a bit... I have moderate sleep apnea, and I got a CPAP a while ago, but had issues with it. So went back to the doc for another sleep study; it turns out that my CPAP effectively controls the apnea but tanks my overall sleep quality. So I can have apnea or sleep deprivation. The doc would normally prescribe some stimulants for the daytime drowsiness, but guess what? :rolleyes: Still trying to figure out how to resolve this.

5) About a million and one other complications in life.

Hoping to reconnect with you all soon, but first on my agenda is this:

What tips do you have if you're trying to stay on task but keep ending up "well digging". This is one of my wife's expressions - from a Russian story:
A wife asks her husband to dig a well, leaves for a while, and comes back to find him cleaning the toilet. When she asks him what he's doing, he replies that he was digging a well.

"I went to go dig the well, but there were garden tools laying out, so I decided to put them away first. But since I had them in hand, I figured I may as well rake the leaves and weed the garden." I forget the whole chain of events, but he basically goes through a list of a couple dozen tasks he ended up doing in the attempt to dig a well, ultimately leading him to the cleaning of the toilet.
Much of the time I roll with it if I get off task, as long as it's a productive distraction. If I set out to clean the bedroom and end up folding laundry and putting together a donation box and picking up some of our son's toys, who cares? It's all productive time, right?

The problem arises when I pull myself away from something mission critical, like getting dinner ready. With the second kid, I'm having to do more of the household stuff, and I have grown used to her being able to frequently and compassionately poke me to get me back on task.

Suggestions?

namazu 01-22-19 01:45 PM

Re: Hi Everyone... It's been a LONG time

Hey, good to see you after what's definitely been an eventful few years!

I don't have a solution to the "well-digging" problem, alas...aside from medication or timers. Maybe you can train your 4-year-old to "poke" you in lieu of your wife, if your wife needs to be doing other things or is sick of it. Maybe the 4-year-old can "help" with dinner to keep you on task. (Or maybe that will just end in disaster... :eek:)

In any case, welcome back!

KarmanMonkey 01-22-19 04:22 PM

The 4yo does "help" in the kitchen, and I always encourage it, but any 4yo generally has the same attention span I do, so it's... interesting :-)

namazu 01-22-19 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarmanMonkey (Post 2013634)
The 4yo does "help" in the kitchen, and I always encourage it, but any 4yo generally has the same attention span I do, so it's... interesting :-)

:lol: Yeah, I could see that... :lol:

midnightstar 01-22-19 07:02 PM

Welcome back, KarmanMonkey :)