ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   A few blurbs I found regarding Hyperfocus (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31430)

Crazy~Feet 08-06-06 05:07 PM

A few blurbs I found regarding Hyperfocus
 
What y'all think? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperfocus

Hyperfocus describes an intense form of mental concentration or visualization that focuses consciousness on a narrow subject, or beyond objective reality and onto subjective mental planes, daydreams, concepts, fiction, the imagination, and other objects of the mind.

From a neurodiversity perspective, hyperfocus is a mental ability that is a natural expression of personality. However, hyperfocus can also be regarded as a psychiatric diagnosis, as a distraction from reality and a symptom of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), adult attention-deficit disorder (AADD), or autism. Counter to this view, the DSM-IV diagnostic criteria for ADHD (for example) do not include anything resembling hyperfocus and instead emphasise opposite behaviors such as "often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks".

Some people say that hyperfocus is an important element of meditation, but Osho emphasized that meditation is not concentration. In common parlance, hyperfocus is sometimes referred to as "zoning out." In sports, it is sometimes referred to as "being in the zone."

http://www.enotalone.com/article/4123.html

Both research and clinical experience tells us that ADHD Children can exhibit a type of "hyperfocus" - intense concentration and single-minded focus when the activity is very interesting. This situation is most often found when ADHD Children play computer games. ADHD Children may have an amazing ability to hyperfocus on a computer game, one of the few things that moves fast enough to maintain their attention, unlike homework or routine chores.

The hyperfocus found in ADHD Children is not a normal type of concentration or focus. Remembering the neurochemical aspects of Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), hyperfocus requires the child to use the maximum attention and sustained concentration available. For parents and teachers, imagine trying to thread a needle, in low light, while sitting in a row boat in the ocean - the waves tossing and rolling all the time. The amount of concentration required to thread that needle makes us anxious, tense, and irritable - as if somebody were asking us questions while we were trying to thread that needle. This is way ADHD Johnny is so fidgety while trying to listen to your conversation or correction.

In ADHD Children, hyperfocus allows them to participate in computer games or watch high-action movies - but at a cost. The amount of energy being used makes them very irritable. If a parent interrupts the computer game or movie with a question, a call for lunch, or a request - the ADHD Children is likely to explode in a burst of verbal or physical aggression. His or her concentration has been broken and that neurochemical activity spills out into the room, or is directed at the interrupting source.

http://school.familyeducation.com/le...nts/37763.html

Can a gifted child who spends hours focused on a task still have ADHD?
Some parents and professionals assume that a child who can concentrate for a long time cannot have ADHD. This is incorrect. It's understandable that an observer might dismiss the possibility of ADHD, because from all appearances the child is so absorbed in a task that everything around her fades into oblivion.

While this state of rapt attention may be the sign of a creative mind, it may also be "hyperfocus," which is a similar condition that individuals with ADHD frequently experience. You can't tell children with and without ADHD from how they engage in high-interest activities -- such as videos, computer games, or reading for pleasure. The key is effort. How your child performs during projects that require effort -- but aren't necessarily high-interest -- can mark the difference.

So a child with ADHD can concentrate for long periods of time?
ADHD is not characterized by a child's inability to pay attention, but rather is marked by his inability to control his attention. A child with ADHD has great difficulty paying attention to tasks that are not immediately rewarding, that require effort.

While "hyperfocus" can be a positive sign of commitment to a task and a sign of motivation, it becomes a problem when a gifted child is asked to shift from one task to another. In other words, while this intense concentration can be positive for the child's thinking, it can also cause problems in her behavior.

Seems to be a subject coming up a lot here of late. What does hyperfocus mean to you?

Crazy :cool:

Imnapl 08-06-06 05:32 PM

Thanks for that, Crazy.

Crazy~Feet 08-06-06 05:39 PM

You are very welcome :).

speedo 08-06-06 09:10 PM

Great info crazy feet!

Me :D


Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy~Feet
What y'all think? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperfocus

Hyperfocus describes an intense form of mental concentration or visualization that focuses consciousness on a narrow subject, or beyond objective reality and onto subjective mental planes, daydreams, concepts, fiction, the imagination, and other objects of the mind.

From a neurodiversity perspective, hyperfocus is a mental ability that is a natural expression of personality. However, hyperfocus can also be regarded as a psychiatric diagnosis, as a distraction from reality and a symptom of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), adult attention-deficit disorder (AADD), or autism. Counter to this view, the DSM-IV diagnostic criteria for ADHD (for example) do not include anything resembling hyperfocus and instead emphasise opposite behaviors such as "often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks".

Some people say that hyperfocus is an important element of meditation, but Osho emphasized that meditation is not concentration. In common parlance, hyperfocus is sometimes referred to as "zoning out." In sports, it is sometimes referred to as "being in the zone."

http://www.enotalone.com/article/4123.html

Both research and clinical experience tells us that ADHD Children can exhibit a type of "hyperfocus" - intense concentration and single-minded focus when the activity is very interesting. This situation is most often found when ADHD Children play computer games. ADHD Children may have an amazing ability to hyperfocus on a computer game, one of the few things that moves fast enough to maintain their attention, unlike homework or routine chores.

The hyperfocus found in ADHD Children is not a normal type of concentration or focus. Remembering the neurochemical aspects of Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), hyperfocus requires the child to use the maximum attention and sustained concentration available. For parents and teachers, imagine trying to thread a needle, in low light, while sitting in a row boat in the ocean - the waves tossing and rolling all the time. The amount of concentration required to thread that needle makes us anxious, tense, and irritable - as if somebody were asking us questions while we were trying to thread that needle. This is way ADHD Johnny is so fidgety while trying to listen to your conversation or correction.

In ADHD Children, hyperfocus allows them to participate in computer games or watch high-action movies - but at a cost. The amount of energy being used makes them very irritable. If a parent interrupts the computer game or movie with a question, a call for lunch, or a request - the ADHD Children is likely to explode in a burst of verbal or physical aggression. His or her concentration has been broken and that neurochemical activity spills out into the room, or is directed at the interrupting source.

http://school.familyeducation.com/le...nts/37763.html

Can a gifted child who spends hours focused on a task still have ADHD?
Some parents and professionals assume that a child who can concentrate for a long time cannot have ADHD. This is incorrect. It's understandable that an observer might dismiss the possibility of ADHD, because from all appearances the child is so absorbed in a task that everything around her fades into oblivion.

While this state of rapt attention may be the sign of a creative mind, it may also be "hyperfocus," which is a similar condition that individuals with ADHD frequently experience. You can't tell children with and without ADHD from how they engage in high-interest activities -- such as videos, computer games, or reading for pleasure. The key is effort. How your child performs during projects that require effort -- but aren't necessarily high-interest -- can mark the difference.

So a child with ADHD can concentrate for long periods of time?
ADHD is not characterized by a child's inability to pay attention, but rather is marked by his inability to control his attention. A child with ADHD has great difficulty paying attention to tasks that are not immediately rewarding, that require effort.

While "hyperfocus" can be a positive sign of commitment to a task and a sign of motivation, it becomes a problem when a gifted child is asked to shift from one task to another. In other words, while this intense concentration can be positive for the child's thinking, it can also cause problems in her behavior.

Seems to be a subject coming up a lot here of late. What does hyperfocus mean to you?

Crazy :cool:


Lipz17 08-06-06 09:54 PM

Very good info,thanks crazy!!!

Crazy~Feet 08-07-06 12:46 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you :).

Crazy :cool:

VisualImagery 08-07-06 01:48 AM

Helps to have this info for the "Data Driven" educational system. Sorry HF-it means quatitative and very rarely, qualitative.

speedo 08-07-06 02:01 AM

I made this thread sticky. I hope nobody objects.
Hyperfocus is part of what we are, so I think it is important to understand it.


Me :D

speedo 08-07-06 02:04 AM

This reminds me... I was in a cafe having coffee and I totally zoned out. A very perceptive fellow I knew caught me doing it and he commented "I wish I could do that"... I was a little embarassed having gotten caught red-handed zoning like that.

It is the one characteristic of ADHD that I deeply appreciate.


Me :D

VisualImagery 08-07-06 02:11 AM

How do you make a thread sticky? With my grace and precision, that means spilling something on it. :D When I sew, sewing through tape makes thread sticky and sticky thread is bad. Do they make Post-It threads-OMG that is kinda funny-and I didn't see it coming. With ADD, you entertain yourself.

I was in major hyperfocus today-trying to figure myself out. Truly, and guess what? I still haven't. Kinda unnerves my family.

Becky

speedo 08-07-06 02:22 AM

I usually make threads sticky by applying a liberal coating of Duco (tm) rubber cement. :eek:

I was really hyperfocused this morning and I completed modifications to two computer programs in 30 minutes, and in the process I created something kind of new. :faint: :eek: :)

I have learned that while I can't control when and where I hyperfocus, I CAN use it to my advantage. :)

Me :D



Quote:

Originally Posted by RADDmom
How do you make a thread sticky? With my grace and precision, that means spilling something on it. :D When I sew, sewing through tape makes thread sticky and sticky thread is bad. Do they make Post-It threads-OMG that is kinda funny-and I didn't see it coming. With ADD, you entertain yourself.

I was in major hyperfocus today-trying to figure myself out. Truly, and guess what? I still haven't. Kinda unnerves my family.

Becky


Nova 08-07-06 07:52 AM

'Sticky' away, Speed ! (0:

Stickies are good, on here !

Nova 08-07-06 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy~Feet
Seems to be a subject coming up a lot here of late. What does hyperfocus mean to you? Crazy :cool:

Hyperfocus has been a part of my life...I really don't even notice I'm doing it, unless I do have to 'tear myself away'...and focus on something other than what I'm doing.

A form of obsession...I suppose. One that I can't seem to stop 'thinking/researching'...like the subject of it is always on my 'backburner'...waiting...

It has it's positive and negative effects on me..
Positive is that I go beyond what's necessary to accomplish what I'm doing..
Negative is that anything else, during that time, becomes 'secondary' (even when it's just as much of a priority).

The difficulty I have is acknowledging that some things I hyperfocus on, are not vital, and I really shouldn't be that focused on them.


But then again...if I could do that..I wouldn't have this issue, LOL !

Crazy~Feet 08-07-06 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova
Hyperfocus has been a part of my life...I really don't even notice I'm doing it, unless I do have to 'tear myself away'...and focus on something other than what I'm doing.

A form of obsession...I suppose. One that I can't seem to stop 'thinking/researching'...like the subject of it is always on my 'backburner'...waiting...

It has it's positive and negative effects on me..
Positive is that I go beyond what's necessary to accomplish what I'm doing..
Negative is that anything else, during that time, becomes 'secondary' (even when it's just as much of a priority).

The difficulty I have is acknowledging that some things I hyperfocus on, are not vital, and I really shouldn't be that focused on them.


But then again...if I could do that..I wouldn't have this issue, LOL !

Speedo I am tickled pink that you stickied this :D (as long as you did not "stinky" it, I am thrilled ;) and you know what I mean!).

Hyperfocus works the same for me Nova. My last great hyperfocus was hard-core couponing, and I saved $6000 in less than a year. Then it got boring...and became work...and I was swimming in coupon inserts! My family had been begging me to stop because I would get irritated if interrupted while clipping or filing, and freak out if I left the house without my coupon binders--I had 4 of them!

My stockpile was immaculately organised. All my time was spent clipping, filing, chasing, trading and matching sales to little scraps of paper!

Crazy :cool:

kvrrd 08-07-06 06:39 PM

and every coupla months I'd go through those coupons and get rid of the expired ones. most of the time I left them in my purse, totally forgotten.

Yep, my hyper focus as well, N. I'd read a book straight until it was done. In class, on the bus, on the toilet...
and marathon puzzles. I'm lucky that I found work that took advantage of it.
Prioritizing IS a real problem, my problem. I don't wanna and you can't make me.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums