ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   ADHD and Exhaustion (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191676)

Spicyglove 05-15-18 10:40 PM

ADHD and Exhaustion

Hello all,

It took a lot of courage and grappling with myself to finally sign up and address my ADHD again, but circumstances dictate I start trying to do something about it.

I guess Iíll start with a little background on myself. Iím 23, and I was diagnosed with ADHD I believe when I was 13 or 14. I was on 2 medications as a kid, Straterra being one of them, and possibly Ritalin, but I honestly canít remember. As a kid, I hated the medications. I never ate and got to an unhealthy weight to where my parents finally agreed to take me off the medications when I was around 16. I have barely given my ADHD a passing thought until recently. The symptoms have still been there, constant fidgeting, canít focus, drifting off constantly. As Iíve gotten older Iíve been able to deal with it better than I was in a public school environment.

Now, we come to the passed year. Iíve started what will undoubtedly be my career. Itís not an easy job mentally, and itís required a large amount of formal training, and traveling. Iím learning things on a daily basis, and I love what Iím learning and what I do. However, doing so has been very, very difficult because I have absolutely no energy. No matter how long I sleep (usually 7-8 hours a night) No matter how long or hard Iíve worked, I come home exhausted. I immediately can jump into bed and nap for 2-3 hours and STILL sleep fine through the night. The problem is, I need to be using that time for training, excersize, helping my wife with housework, and other things. The energy just isnít there.

Now, Iíve been to a doctor to run a full blood test panel. My blood work came back perfect other than a minor Vitamin D deficiency, which Iíve since corrected and it changed nothing. I donít excersize as much as I would like to due in part to the fact Iím always wanting to rest and/or nap. I eat so so, lately I have tried eating better. Iím taking several vitamins for energy and Vitamin B12 with no changes as well. Now Iím at the point where Iím actually considering seeing the doctor to see if my ADHD could be causing this. I admit during all the training and on the job education, I always force myself to focus and it can be difficult, but Iíve been doing that for the past 5-6 years so I didnít think much of it. Now Iím at a job that I like, thatís more mentally involved than anything Iíve ever done, and the exhaustion and normal ADHD symptoms are really starting to affect me.

So, even though that was a lot to read. I guess my question is, can ADHD cause exhaustion? Should I look into getting back on ADHD medication again? Or do I need to look into something else as the cause to my exhaustion? Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

peripatetic 05-15-18 10:47 PM

Re: ADHD and Exhaustion

Welcome!

I can appreciate how exhausting it can be to have mental work *all of the time* and unmeducated focusing IS exhausting work that is still sometimes not within reach. I feel like mental health concerns in general are exhausting ultimately.

Your thyroid is normal? Have you been evaluated for depression?

LyrinMeow 05-15-18 11:40 PM

Fatigue is actually why I started the ADHD meds. I had already had a nighttime sleep study (which they want done again ugh) and wanted the daytime one but the sleep doctor refused because I was on medication that could maybe have made me tired, for bipolar and anxiety. Despite the fact that I would risk my life going off of them. My insurance won't cover the non stimulant overly sleepy medications (forget what they are called) without "passing" a daytime sleep study test.

My ADHD meds calm me down and wake me up at the same time. Previously, I would literally almost fall asleep sitting up at work.

I have also had all the blood tests known to man. If they gave you a blood test for fatigue I guarantee they checked your thyroid levels.

It is possible you have depression but if you are like me you can have both. Or more. I also have fybromalgia and polycicstic ovarian syndrome. Both of which can cause fatigue.

If it's affecting you that much and you know you have ADHD I'd say try the medication. It makes a world of difference to me. I also have a mentally taxing job. And I'm much better at it on the medication than off.

finallyfound10 05-16-18 01:00 AM

I think ADHD and all of the co-morbids are exhausting. We spend a lot time trying to keep up with everything at work and home. Also, I (I know many of you do too) do a lot of negative self-talk when something doesn't go quite right, especially at work and that is exhausting.

I've never been more tired than after I was diagnosed with ADHD, depression and anxiety about 7 years ago.

sarahsweets 05-16-18 11:46 AM

Have you ever had a sleep study done?

PoppnNSailinMan 05-17-18 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicyglove (Post 1995054)
Now, we come to the passed year. I’ve started what will undoubtedly be my career. It’s not an easy job mentally, and it’s required a large amount of formal training, and traveling. I’m learning things on a daily basis, and I love what I’m learning and what I do....I admit during all the training and on the job education, I always force myself to focus and it can be difficult, but I’ve been doing that for the past 5-6 years so I didn’t think much of it.

I think that the fatigue that you're experiencing could just be that your new job requires more focus, more organization and more sustained mental effort than you've been used to in the past. It's fairly common for people with ADHD to be doing OK at a job and then to experience a lot of problems once they get a promotion or start a new job that demands more from them in terms of planning and organization and mental effort.

And I know from my own experience before I was treated for ADHD that it could be exhausting for me either to do something very monotonous and boring or something that was complicated and required a lot of sustained mental effort, even with things that I enjoyed.

What you describe sounds like what happened to me when I went to work at an insurance company that involved sitting by myself in a cubicle and doing boring paperwork. By early afternoon, I could hardly keep my eyes open and I had no energy most of the time. When I got home, I usually slept for two or three hours, ate dinner and then still went to bed early and slept all night. I wasn't getting much else done. The mental effort required to do this boring job with untreated ADHD really tired me out.

But it's not just boring things. I remember, too, when I was in graduate school, that doing things like reading books about complicated topics that required a lot of sustained mental effort was also very tiring. And this was also true even when I was reading about things that interested me.

Either way, doing something that requires more sustained mental effort than you've been used to could be exhausting.