ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   I hate you people who say ADD is our greatest strength (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185652)

Kunga Dorji 05-24-17 04:39 AM

Re: I hate you people who say ADD is our greatest strength
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunacie (Post 1948835)
The scientific definition of "trait" is "caused by genetics." So I'm okay with
calling ADHD a "trait." But it is still a disorder, something that "disrupts and
causes distress."

I do not agree with Dr. Hallowell that it can "become a huge asset when
managed properly." I agree with Dr. Barkley that we can succeed in spite of
this disorder, not because of it.

The difference here is semantic, but it carries significant impact.
To understand Hallowell properly you do need to read some of his examples in detail.

From my own perspective I clearly regard ADHD as a disorder, and I think that way because of the common and reproducible dysfunction that is identifiable in cerebellar function in ADHD (irregular eye tracking, minor coordination problems etc).
However secondary to this there are fairly predictable divergent thinking patterns - and they can be harnessed to good effect.

Hallowell's approach makes more sense to me because it is more positive, and is less likely to drag me into depression. Barkley just makes everything seem so hard.

So, what it involves is essentially moving away from the ADHD diagnosis and looking at the areas of your day to day functioning that serve you well (and seeking to develop them) and those that do not (and seeking to ensure that they don't trip you up).

In the end the more negatively you view a situation the worse it will impact on you- and that applies to everyone.

sarahsweets 05-24-17 06:41 AM

Re: I hate you people who say ADD is our greatest strength
 
Quote:

In the end the more negatively you view a situation the worse it will impact on you- and that applies to everyone.
I dont call it negativity, I call it being realistic.

Fuzzy12 05-24-17 07:23 AM

Re: I hate you people who say ADD is our greatest strength
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kunga Dorji (Post 1948888)
The difference here is semantic, but it carries significant impact.
To understand Hallowell properly you do need to read some of his examples in detail.

From my own perspective I clearly regard ADHD as a disorder, and I think that way because of the common and reproducible dysfunction that is identifiable in cerebellar function in ADHD (irregular eye tracking, minor coordination problems etc).
However secondary to this there are fairly predictable divergent thinking patterns - and they can be harnessed to good effect.

Hallowell's approach makes more sense to me because it is more positive, and is less likely to drag me into depression. Barkley just makes everything seem so hard.

So, what it involves is essentially moving away from the ADHD diagnosis and looking at the areas of your day to day functioning that serve you well (and seeking to develop them) and those that do not (and seeking to ensure that they don't trip you up).

In the end the more negatively you view a situation the worse it will impact on you- and that applies to everyone.

You don't need to view adhd as a positive to view a situation as positive.

There are plenty of other things in our life that can be seen as good without having to convince yourself that everything including your disorders is a blessing.

Viewing adhd as something that has to be positive just sets you up for disappointing I think. Also it will require more effort to explain the discordance between the belief that it's a positive and the reality that it's making your life harder. Why not just accept that it's not an asset but it's also not a death sentence and you can find ways to mitigate it's effect on your life.

Rather than trying hard to find positives in adhd I think that effort can be spent more wisely trying to make your life positive in spite of adhd.

sarahsweets 05-24-17 09:09 AM

Re: I hate you people who say ADD is our greatest strength
 
:goodpost::thankyou:


Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 (Post 1948899)
You don't need to view adhd as a positive to view a situation as positive.

There are plenty of other things in our life that can be seen as good without having to convince yourself that everything including your disorders is a blessing.

Viewing adhd as something that has to be positive just sets you up for disappointing I think. Also it will require more effort to explain the discordance between the belief that it's a positive and the reality that it's making your life harder. Why not just accept that it's not an asset but it's also not a death sentence and you can find ways to mitigate it's effect on your life.

Rather than trying hard to find positives in adhd I think that effort can be spent more wisely trying to make your life positive in spite of adhd.


Lunacie 05-24-17 12:58 PM

Re: I hate you people who say ADD is our greatest strength
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 (Post 1948899)
You don't need to view adhd as a positive to view a situation as positive.

There are plenty of other things in our life that can be seen as good without having to convince yourself that everything including your disorders is a blessing.

Viewing adhd as something that has to be positive just sets you up for disappointing I think. Also it will require more effort to explain the discordance between the belief that it's a positive and the reality that it's making your life harder. Why not just accept that it's not an asset but it's also not a death sentence and you can find ways to mitigate it's effect on your life.

Rather than trying hard to find positives in adhd I think that effort can be spent more wisely trying to make your life positive in spite of adhd.

Very well said. Explains my opinion on this to a T. :yes: :goodpost: :thankyou:

superherobootca 05-30-17 01:18 AM

Re: I hate you people who say ADD is our greatest strength
 
I have AD/HD and seriously struggled. I also have autism, so don't tell me about AD/HD. Until you deal with both at the same time, you have not lived the nightmare.
  • I failed in school and I was in the class with the "stupid" kids.
  • I struggled at work and in my marriage.
  • My wife left me because she was at her whits end.
  • I was suicidal and my son kept me from killing myself within minutes of my executing it.
  • I also ended up teaching myself how to master my ADHD.
  • I was able to restore my marriage in many ways.
  • I was able to become the highest performing executive at a major TV network.
  • I was able to gain mastery over my ADHD and it is my greatest gift...so hate me, but I have been to the bottom and the top.

AD/HD can be mastered, it is a lot of work, but it can be done. I was lucky, because of my position and notoriety, I was able t work with some of the leading doctors and therapists in the field and master my AD/HD.

You hate people like us...but few of us have really mastered AD/HD and been able to tell other people how it is done. I now am able to turn off the bad parts of AD/HD. What I have done is based on brain science, not hocus pocus or magic bullets. It is f---king hard, but it is worth it.

All of the negative symptoms of AD/HD can be reset and mitigated. Right now the story you are telling yourself about your ADD goes back to when you were a small child (unless you were abused or had serious trauma later in life).

EVERYONE...all people...experience something similar (read Carl Jung's writings on the shadow personality) and we actually become addicted to elements of our dark side. That is the simple version. - We actually continue harmful behaviors in addictive patterns, all fueled by emotions. Our symptoms are only indicators of a deeper emotional disconnect. (People can argue, I have the research, including recent content from people that are known experts, such as Dr. Amen.)

I believe that disintegration of the mind (mental and physical illness) is a habitual and repetitive addiction to emotions and spiritual ideations that do not effectively serve the individual, based on subjective and usually erroneous interpretations of surroundings and relationships (usually between ages 2-6).

Hate me all you want, you can feel better and people who say they are broken or mentally ill because of their AD/HD are only continuing a story that hurts themselves.

Little Missy 05-30-17 08:03 AM

Re: I hate you people who say ADD is our greatest strength
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by superherobootca (Post 1949795)
I have AD/HD and seriously struggled. I also have autism, so don't tell me about AD/HD. Until you deal with both at the same time, you have not lived the nightmare.
  • I failed in school and I was in the class with the "stupid" kids.
  • I struggled at work and in my marriage.
  • My wife left me because she was at her whits end.
  • I was suicidal and my son kept me from killing myself within minutes of my executing it.
  • I also ended up teaching myself how to master my ADHD.
  • I was able to restore my marriage in many ways.
  • I was able to become the highest performing executive at a major TV network.
  • I was able to gain mastery over my ADHD and it is my greatest gift...so hate me, but I have been to the bottom and the top.

AD/HD can be mastered, it is a lot of work, but it can be done. I was lucky, because of my position and notoriety, I was able t work with some of the leading doctors and therapists in the field and master my AD/HD.

You hate people like us...but few of us have really mastered AD/HD and been able to tell other people how it is done. I now am able to turn off the bad parts of AD/HD. What I have done is based on brain science, not hocus pocus or magic bullets. It is f---king hard, but it is worth it.

All of the negative symptoms of AD/HD can be reset and mitigated. Right now the story you are telling yourself about your ADD goes back to when you were a small child (unless you were abused or had serious trauma later in life).

EVERYONE...all people...experience something similar (read Carl Jung's writings on the shadow personality) and we actually become addicted to elements of our dark side. That is the simple version. - We actually continue harmful behaviors in addictive patterns, all fueled by emotions. Our symptoms are only indicators of a deeper emotional disconnect. (People can argue, I have the research, including recent content from people that are known experts, such as Dr. Amen.)

I believe that disintegration of the mind (mental and physical illness) is a habitual and repetitive addiction to emotions and spiritual ideations that do not effectively serve the individual, based on subjective and usually erroneous interpretations of surroundings and relationships (usually between ages 2-6).

Hate me all you want, you can feel better and people who say they are broken or mentally ill because of their AD/HD are only continuing a story that hurts themselves.

Do tell. What is your position and notoriety?

sarahsweets 05-30-17 08:30 AM

Re: I hate you people who say ADD is our greatest strength
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by superherobootca (Post 1949795)
I have AD/HD and seriously struggled. I also have autism, so don't tell me about AD/HD. Until you deal with both at the same time, you have not lived the nightmare.

I am sure there are many autistic people who would take offense to you saying living with autism is a nightmare.

Quote:

[list][*]I failed in school and I was in the class with the "stupid" kids.
How nice of you to refer to them as stupid.

Quote:

  • I also ended up teaching myself how to master my ADHD.

  • I didnt know adhd could be mastered.

    Quote:

    I was able to become the highest performing executive at a major TV network.
    Hmmm....

    Quote:

  • I was able to gain mastery over my ADHD and it is my greatest gift...so hate me, but I have been to the bottom and the top.
No one will hate you for thinking this, the thread starter did use harsh words but people will challenge and dispute you.


Quote:

AD/HD can be mastered, it is a lot of work, but it can be done. I was lucky, because of my position and notoriety, I was able t work with some of the leading doctors and therapists in the field and master my AD/HD.

You hate people like us...but few of us have really mastered AD/HD and been able to tell other people how it is done. I now am able to turn off the bad parts of AD/HD. What I have done is based on brain science, not hocus pocus or magic bullets. It is f---king hard, but it is worth it.
There is no scientifically proven way (yet) to master or cure adhd. Unless you can provide me with sources its just your word.

Quote:

All of the negative symptoms of AD/HD can be reset and mitigated. Right now the story you are telling yourself about your ADD goes back to when you were a small child (unless you were abused or had serious trauma later in life).
Adhd must have been present in childhood before the age of 12. You must have 2 or more impairments in 6 or more areas of your life for it to be adhd. So of course we think of our childhood.

Quote:

EVERYONE...all people...experience something similar (read Carl Jung's writings on the shadow personality) and we actually become addicted to elements of our dark side. That is the simple version. - We actually continue harmful behaviors in addictive patterns, all fueled by emotions. Our symptoms are only indicators of a deeper emotional disconnect. (People can argue, I have the research, including recent content from people that are known experts, such as Dr. Amen.)
Addiction is a whole other issue. I could tell you about addiction til Im blue in the face but I dont claim to be an expert-even though my experience and research makes me feel like one. Emotions are the backbone of many ways we deal with our sh*t. I dont think its fair to say "we all" continue addictive behaviors because not everyone is an addict and adhd doesnt = addict. Dr Amen can be commended for his research but we all have our opinion on who we think are experts. I dont believe in his many subsets of adhd that he labels people as nor all his treatments but I wont discount his contribution to the adhd field.

Quote:

I believe that disintegration of the mind (mental and physical illness) is a habitual and repetitive addiction to emotions and spiritual ideations that do not effectively serve the individual, based on subjective and usually erroneous interpretations of surroundings and relationships (usually between ages 2-6).
So my bipolar is really just addiction to emotions and spiritual ideations based on my relationships and surroundings? I dont think so. There isnt research to back you up on that one.

Quote:

Hate me all you want, you can feel better and people who say they are broken or mentally ill because of their AD/HD are only continuing a story that hurts themselves.
I havent heard anyone say mental illness and adhd are the same thing. Similar maybe, but the same? No way. Different malfunctions of the neurotransmitters and all that jazz going on in the brain.
I also do not believe in hate.
All life is precious.

Lunacie 05-30-17 11:30 AM

Re: I hate you people who say ADD is our greatest strength
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by superherobootca (Post 1949795)
I have AD/HD and seriously struggled. I also have autism, so don't tell me about AD/HD. Until you deal with both at the same time, you have not lived the nightmare.

.

Even though I have both adhd and autism myself (also anxiety, depression,
PTSD, migraine disorder, back pain and severe allergies) I found that comment
incredibly insulting.


Any of them alone can be a nightmare. Having all of them together is a
special kind of nightmare to live with, but any of them alone can be hard.

dvdnvwls 05-30-17 04:43 PM

Re: I hate you people who say ADD is our greatest strength
 
ADHD and autism can be nightmares when the people around us choose to make them that way.

All people (except those with severe disabilities or severe personality disorders) already help each other - it's survival. Unwillingness to help one person a little more and another person a little less, and a desire to perpetuate their own illusion of their own nonexistent "independence", people disregarding others' needs simply because their own needs have been met.

That old book "I'm OK - You're OK" was missing a category: "I'm OK, So If Anyone Else Is Not OK Then That's Their Problem". :(

dormammau2008 05-30-17 06:01 PM

Re: I hate you people who say ADD is our greatest strength
 
hello super....

I also ended up teaching myself how to master my ADHD.
I was able to restore my marriage in many ways.
I was able to become the highest performing executive at a major TV network.
I was able to gain mastery over my ADHD and it is my greatest gift...so hate me, but I have been to the bottom and the top.

you have done well iam glade to see you have done well... I hpope all is well for you


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums