ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Adult Education (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Semester Project (any suggestions?) (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122889)

-nyr0c- 04-24-12 11:36 PM

Semester Project (any suggestions?)

Wow, it's been awhile since I've been online, huh? Anyway, here's my latest offering. I need to start working on my semester project for my Sociology class. Below are the requirements for the assignment:

You must formulate a 10 question survey covering a societal issue you are interested in.
You must give your survey to at least 10 people.
Analyze the answers, and write up your findings and conclusions in the form of a 5-15 page term paper.
In this term paper, give an introduction to your topic and why you chose it to study.
Paper should be typed, double-spaced.
Use at least concepts from your text book in the formulation and/or the analysis of your survey. Indicate in your paper the concepts from your text book you are using.

And that's about it. My teacher already approved the topic I want to do (I decided i'm going to ask people questions based on ADHD and the stigma behind it; "are ADHDers lazy or is it a real problem?") I'm interested in seeing what some of the people around me think about ADHD. :D

As of right now, the project is due this Friday and I haven't even started it. I have asked for an extension to Monday, but idk if I'll get it. I am having a tough time writing some good questions to ask people. Plus, starting any kind of project is the bane of my existance, even if I really am excited about it.

Which is why I'm curious about what you all think. What would be good questions to ask an NT? My teacher recommended using open-ended questions to get as much information as I can.

So far, I've thought of one closed-ended question to ask; "Do you know anyone personally with ADHD?" If they answer yes, I'm going to ask them to elaborate on their relationship with that person and give as much information about them as they can. Another one I can think of is, "Do you think ADHD is a serious disorder, or is it just made up? Why or Why not?"

I don't know, I'm just feeling a little bit lost with this project. It sounds like fun, but I haven't been given very much direction, so it's all on me. That's what growing up's all about, I guess.

Any kind of feedback would be awesome.

anonymouslyadd 04-24-12 11:52 PM

Re: Semester Project (any suggestions?)

I believe people with ADD are lazy.

1-strongly disagree 2-disagree 3-neutral 4-agree 5-strongly agree

I believe ADD exists.

I believe people can be lazy if they have ADD or not.

I don't know anything about ADD.

rcking 04-24-12 11:52 PM

Can the questions be "open" answer? (an answer that can not be multiple choice) or are you required to make them "closed"? (An answer that can be multiple choice)
EX.
Open - What are your thoughts on people who have ADHD?
Closed - How many of your friends do you know have been diagnosed with ADHD?

-nyr0c- 04-25-12 12:08 AM

Anon - I really like that format! Except I would like to be able to make it easier for the people I'm surveying to write as much information as they can. The more, the better. I need as much as i can get for this project.

Rcking - Absolutely! I'm not really restricted to asking certain types of questions; open-ended ones are optimal though, because they'll give me more to work with. I like your example, btw!

anonymouslyadd 04-25-12 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -nyr0c- (Post 1291009)
Anon - I really like that format! Except I would like to be able to make it easier for the people I'm surveying to write as much information as they can. The more, the better. I need as much as i can get for this project.

Ask the "why/why not" for the most important questions. People need very specific directions for these types of things. The better formed the questions are (ie Please give me two or three questions...) the better answers you'll get.

How are you supposed to analyze the answers? Are you supposed to do a statistical test like ANOVA?

rcking 04-25-12 12:51 AM

Well that's going to be nice. I'll spit-ball some more.

What are your thoughts on people who have ADHD?
How much do you know about ADHD?
Do you think you have ADHD and why/what are your symptoms? (learn how many people think they have ADHD, and what they think classifies as a symptom)
If you were told to pick someone out of a crowd who has ADHD, what would you look for?
or
What are some physical signs of someone who has ADHD?

If Anonymous (for comforts sake)
If you were to meet two people, and the only thing you knew about them was that One of the people had ADHD and the other didn't (and you knew which was which), Which one do you think you would gravitate towards?

Do you know how ADHD is formed/born/created? (Viral, Birth, Genes, Trauma, Chance, Blood, Bacterial, Contact) [You may choose more than one]

Just some random ideas. Hope they help! :D

anonymouslyadd 04-25-12 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcking (Post 1291029)
If Anonymous (for comforts sake)

She needs to make sure it is anonymous! People are more likely to answer honestly if they feel safe.

Don't ask for names or any information that might make them feel exposed. Their major is probably fine and even their age (ask for dob instead of age to get a response :)). Provide an envelope for them to put the survey in.

Make sure you have writing instruments for them. You want to make it as easy as possible.

Glexster 04-25-12 01:24 AM

Hey, this is a cool project I hope you post up a summary of your results when finished! I'm a science major but find this topic particularly interesting. It would be cool to test correlations among peoples answers if you get a lot of data or even generate a few box plots, tables or graphs.

How about asking some of these questions. They aren't directly about ADHD as a condition in all cases but also about some university/societical issues related to it. I hope you find them useful. Most of these are questions I would like to hear answered by randomly sampled citizens or university students.

1. How common is ADHD drug use among your college peers? If you feel comfortable admitting it, have you ever taken unprescribed ADHD medication? For academic or recreational purposes?

If they answer yes:

Did it help you? Would you do it again? Do you think this kind if medication should be available to everyone based on the benefits? Explain.

If they answer no:

Do you think it's fair for non ADHD students to take these drugs to study when taking tests? Is it cheating?

2. Do you think ADHD is genetic? Is it a product of ones environment? A developmental disorder? Would you support medical research that tried to find genes responsible for ADHD in order to find a potential cure or better medication?

The next one's a bit of a touchy subject but interesting to ask if someone has ADHD...

3. If you could be cured of your ADHD would you seek treatment? Do you think it adds to your life in some ways that outweigh the benefits of being free of the disorder? Explain.

4. If you were an employer would you be willing to readily hire someone with ADHD? What factors would come in to play when making your decision, if any?

5. If you know anyone on a personal level who has the disorder, what symptoms would say they exhibit most? Does it interfere in your relationship with them? Is it obvious they have the disorder or did it come as a surprise to you? How did you find out they had ADHD.

6. In your opinion, what are the most common ADHD symptoms? Would you say they are also the most severe? Rank your symptoms in ascending order of severity. Why did you choose this order?

7. Would you consider ADHD a disability? Explain. Is it a disability in all circumstances? Explain.

8. Do you think you exhibit any symptoms commonly associated with ADHD? List them. How would you say your experiences with these symptoms differ from those with ADHD, if any? Do you believe there is a clear distinction?

9. Do you believe ADHD is more common in certain genders or age groups? Explain. Why might this be? Do the symptoms differ between genders and age groups, and if so how?

10. Is ADHD a childhood only disease? Do you think people grow out of it? Can you not have ADHD as a child, but develop it later on as an adolescent or adult?

11. Do you think increased exposure to internet, video games, TV, and technology has had any effect on the increasing numbers of people diagnosed with ADHD? Explain. Do you think these factors have made life harder for manage for those with ADHD?

I'll leave it at that, feel free to use what you want, add more, and mix certain questions together. Maybe even turn some into more direct answer format as suggested by others in this thread.

Cheers!!

Drewbacca 04-25-12 02:57 AM

You should have an NT control group. Instead of asking about ADHD, ask about distractibility, study habits, daily routines, how they prepare for a test, how they approach a project, etc.

-nyr0c- 04-25-12 09:31 AM

Quote:

How are you supposed to analyze the answers? Are you supposed to do a statistical test like ANOVA?
My teacher gave me a pretty free range of ways to look at the data I collect; the paper needs to have info from my book, my own opinions, and then the info I collect.

What's ANOVA? I'm not sure I've ever heard of that.

Rcking- Thanks again ^^! You're giving me a lot of good ideas. Now I just gotta start this stupid thing =p

And I agree with you and Anon that the survey should stay anonymous; I want the people I question to stay comfortable so they can tell me as much as they can. I plan on making it as simple as possible; giving detailed instructions for them to follow.

Quote:

How about asking some of these questions. They aren't directly about ADHD as a condition in all cases but also about some university/societical issues related to it. I hope you find them useful. Most of these are questions I would like to hear answered by randomly sampled citizens or university students.
Glexster - Thanks a ton. I like these; they almost make me want to survey a couple of people from here on the site =). But for now I think I'll stick to people I know in person. As for the people I plan on surveying, it's probably mostly going to be members of my community, teachers, and a few high-school students. I take my Sociology class through guided study, so I don't really know any college people I could talk to.

Quote:

You should have an NT control group. Instead of asking about ADHD, ask about distractibility, study habits, daily routines, how they prepare for a test, how they approach a project, etc.
Most of the people I'm surveying I'm assuming are NTs. I get what you are saying, but I honestly don't really know that many people with ADHD. You have some good ideas; comparing the study habits of NTs and ADHDers would be interesting.

Glexster 04-25-12 04:22 PM

ANOVA is "Analysis of Variance". It's a statistical test to compare means between multiple treatments.

For example, let's say I wanted to compare the duration of effectiveness for four ADHD medications.

Let's say I picked Vyvanse, Adderall XR, Concerta, and Ritalin XR. I would then sample as many people as possible who used each drug (ideally the same amount of people per treatment). I could then use ANOVA to see if mean duration of medicinal effects is statistically significant amongst all medication groups. It's always wise to use a control group, to see if all medicine differs significantly from a non-treated group before starting.

An ANOVA test can yield two possible results.

1) Your mean differs significantly between all treatments at a given level of statistical significance.

2) You don't have enough evidence to say they are statistically significant, so you reject the hypothesis that they are statistically different.

Any statistical test is only as powerful as the level of significance (alpha) you decide. Most people use (a=0.05). This means that 1/20 times you do the test, you'll accept the means as being different, when in fact they are not. Also, other factors may be responsible for the results and you cannot say as absolute fact that your results are true. Sleep, diet, etc. needs to be controlled among patients to make sure your results are as accurate as possible. So statistical tests can tell you a lot, but they're also very up in the air sometimes? Stats are wonderful, aren't they? :eek:

The great thing about ANOVA is that it allows you to compare a bunch of groups without having to use multiple t-tests or single pair comparisons. These tests compare two groups. But, the more you compare, the more chance you have of committing a type 1 error. Remember that your alpha was 0.05? Well each time you do the t-test your chances go from 1/20...2/20... and so forth. Very risky!

But, the downfall of ANOVA is it could tell you "all means are different", but that's all it says! It doesn't imply all pairs in that treatment are significantly different. For example, Adderall is different from Concerta. It also doesn't tell you that say Concerta, Adderall, Vyvanse are all collectively different than Ritalin. After ANOVA, you'd need to go in and do what are called "post-hoc or "after the fact" tests to probe into your results and dig out more information.

For these, you'd use a number of different tests depending on your data, how much you want to eliminate error, etc. (Tukey-HSD tests, t-tests, Dunn's test, etc).

I hope this wasn't all too confusing! But, if you collect answers it's really easy to do tests like these in EXCEL! If you need any help/want to do any of these tests please let us know! I'd be happy to help you, the math takes two seconds to do and could do wonders for your paper.

ANOVA works for categorical data, numerical data, etc. A few assumptions must be met from your data like normal distribution, samples, independent sampling, etc. But these are all easy enough to satisfy, and if not it's possible to transform data to fit distributions. Also, differences in sample size are easy to work around. There are also multi-way ANOVA vs. One-way (my example was one-way).

An example of ANOVA you could do with your project would be if the mean number of people who "think ADHD people are lazy" differ between teachers, high school students, and community members.

You can also do correlations. For example, is there a correlation between how much people know about ADHD, and whether or not they think it's a real disease?

Anyway, I don't want to confuse you but if you're interested in this kind of stuff let me know. I'm ADHD, too but I'm really into this sort of stuff no matter how puzzling it can get. :)

-nyr0c- 04-25-12 05:42 PM

Glexster - That's very interesting. I'm not sure if I understand it entirely, but it sounds like an excellent way to get statistical comparisons. I think I have done something similar to ANOVA with Excel when I used to compete in my school's science fair; it got me pretty good scores, too!

Because my project is due so soon, I'm afraid I won't really have time to apply something this complex (but useful!) to my project. When a project starts to envolve numerical evidence, I tend to get even more stressed about it. That sucks; I don't really have the best brain for math. I can understand it, but focusing on it is hard for me, especially if I don't understand the way someone is explaining it. Plus, I'm afraid to ask questions, so that doesn't really help my situation ^^.

But I love learning about stuff like this! It could be really useful to me in future projects, especially ones where there is a requirement for statistical evidence. If I had more time, I could see how this would drastically benefit my project (correlations between what some people think symptoms of ADHD are, especially compared to those who don't take it seriously.)

Glexster 04-25-12 06:28 PM

I understand. It doesn't even need to be that hard, though.

When you're done collecting your data, count the number of answers you get in total and for each answer. You don't need "numerical" , it can just be answer counts per category. Then you can compare means, it's that easy! Post it up here and we can do it, even (not trying to do work for you, but I'm quite curious if you couldn't already tell!).

You're going to be collecting answers from people before Friday, anyway. It won't require any additional work on your part as far as data collection goes, and the analysis takes 60 seconds. It's your call.

Cheers, and good luck!

EDIT: I just want to let you know that I don't mean to put any pressure on you to do this sort of thing, I understand you're already under quite a bit of stress. I just have the tendency to persistent sometimes and not know when to stop (hmm, wonder why?). I'm only suggesting this because I think it will make your project better. Persistence works to my advantage in some cases, but also bites me in the ***** more often than not when people get annoyed, or I spend too much time on one thing instead of moving on.

-nyr0c- 04-25-12 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glexster (Post 1291475)
I understand. It doesn't even need to be that hard, though.

When you're done collecting your data, count the number of answers you get in total and for each answer. You don't need "numerical" , it can just be answer counts per category. Then you can compare means, it's that easy! Post it up here and we can do it, even (not trying to do work for you, but I'm quite curious if you couldn't already tell!).

You're going to be collecting answers from people before Friday, anyway. It won't require any additional work on your part as far as data collection goes, and the analysis takes 60 seconds. It's your call.

Cheers, and good luck!

EDIT: I just want to let you know that I don't mean to put any pressure on you to do this sort of thing, I understand you're already under quite a bit of stress. I just have the tendency to persistent sometimes and not know when to stop (hmm, wonder why?). I'm only suggesting this because I think it will make your project better. Persistence works to my advantage in some cases, but also bites me in the ***** more often than not when people get annoyed, or I spend too much time on one thing instead of moving on.

You aren't bothering me! I actually think it's great that you are giving me all this feedback. Your interest has actually given me a little motivation to type out a couple of questions. If you would be willing to show me how to put my data into the ANOVA format, I would be very interested. From what your saying, it sounds like it doesn't take too much time or effort at all, and I think it could add a lot to my project. Of course, I have to survey people first. Here are the questions I've come up with so far.

ADHD Survey Questions<O:p</O:p

Directions: Please answer each of these questions to the best of your ability. Remember, I’m not looking for perfection or for certain answers. I want you to give your honest opinion on each of these questions, and to provide me with as much information as you can to help me with my project. If you have any questions, I can help you if you are having trouble understanding something. Feel free to contact me if needed. I understand if you have a limited knowledge on ADHD; don’t feel bad if you can’t provide me very much feedback. Anything you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

1. Are you at all familiar with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder? Do you know anyone personally with ADHD?
2. What would you say are some symptoms, (both physically apparent and underlying,) present in those with ADHD?
3. Do you feel that ADHD is a serious mental disorder, or just a personality flaw that can be fixed? Explain why or why not.
4. What is your opinion on those who claim to have ADHD compared to those who don’t?
5. In your opinion, are a majority of ADHD diagnoses correct, or do you feel it is far too often misdiagnosed?
6. On a scale of 1 to 5, how often would you say people with ADHD use their disorder as an excuse or a crutch? 1 being “Not often/almost never” and 5 being “All the time/regularly.”
7. Do you think that ADHD is a disease only found in children that can be outgrown, or can it be present in adults? Please explain your position.
8. How do you feel about medicines that have been proven to boost academic concentration and performance in those with ADHD?
9. What is your opinion on ADHD medications being used progressively by college students, who may or may not have ADHD, to get good grades and focus in class?
10. On a scale of 1 to 5, how “lazy” would you say those with ADHD are? 1 being “not at all/hardly” and 5 being “constantly.”

That's what I've got so far. I appologize for over-complicating the ANOVA process in my head. I often do that whenever I see large passages of text with empirical wording in them, so I'd like to say sorry for jumping to the conclusion that it would be far too difficult for my project.

Feel free to point out anything you think I could change about my questions! And Glexster, once I get done surveying, I can always shoot you a message, or just reply to this thread if you want. Thanks =) .

Glexster 04-26-12 01:45 AM

Looks pretty good, but I would make question 4 more specific. What do you want their opinion on?

Yeah just PM me your results, or post them in the thread for people to see. And when you collect your answers, specify what person took the test (student, teacher, adult, senior, etc). That way we can play around with differences between people and their answers.

For the long answers, maybe just make a word doc or txt and PM me?
For the answers which ask for rankings, organize them in excel as follows if you have the time.

Make one column the category of person (teacher, student, adult, senior, whatever you want), then the adjacent columns label them the "Q# rating"

Example...

If you format it like this, we can do some statistical tests/graphs. Hopefully you get 10 people, but shoot for more! The more you sample, the more reliable your results are.

Category
Q3 Rating
Q10 Rating
Student

Student

Adult

Student

Teacher

Adult