ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How can we best promote general ADHD awareness, while acknowledging our differences (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184259)

mildadhd 03-18-17 05:35 PM

How can we best promote general ADHD awareness, while acknowledging our differences

There is no doubt that AD(H)D (aka deficits of self-regulation) exists.

There is no doubt that we have deficits of self-regulation (aka AD(H)D).

There is also no doubt that we have differences in individual inherited temperaments and individual experiences, resulting in deficits of self-regulation.

How can we best promote general ADHD awareness, while still acknowledging our individual causation differences?

m

namazu 03-18-17 05:50 PM

Re: How can we best promote general ADHD awareness, while acknowledging our differenc

Spend more time discussing our common challenges, sharing effective management strategies, and advocating for access in society than speculating about causation?

It also depends what your goals are for awareness, and who your target audience is. The messages might be different for the general public, for school teachers, for people who make policy decisions about health care or research priorities, etc.

mildadhd 03-18-17 06:42 PM

Re: How can we best promote general ADHD awareness, while acknowledging our differenc

Quote:

Originally Posted by namazu (Post 1937631)
Spend more time discussing our common challenges, sharing effective management strategies, and advocating for access in society than speculating about causation?

It also depends what your goals are for awareness, and who your target audience is. The messages might be different for the general public, for school teachers, for people who make policy decisions about health care or research priorities, etc.

Thanks

Without speculating...advocating in general.

-general description for general public awareness
-general challenges
-general management strategies
-general development (genes x environments)

m

ToneTone 03-18-17 07:24 PM

We need a standup comedian with ADHD who knows how to make good material out of ADHD mishaps and struggles. Someone willing to be playful but not into self-loathing.

mildadhd 03-18-17 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namazu (Post 1937631)

Thanks

Along with general awareness, more specific awareness of our more specific individual differences would be more important for some individuals with ADHD and their families, their teachers, their doctors, healthcare professionals involved, people making policy decisions, etc.

m

dvdnvwls 03-18-17 07:40 PM

There are so many ways to look at this...

I have some suggestions:

- Don't try to manufacture agreement when it doesn't naturally occur. If we don't agree on certain points, there's no need to emphasize that fact; but if we try to deny the disagreements that exist, that will "come back to bite us" later.

- If any claim is not yet supported by mainstream scientific evidence, don't let it be part of ADHD awareness efforts; save it for private discussion amongst ourselves.

I think in the first post in this thread you've already accidentally highlighted some of the differences, by naming as "general" topics things that IMO are very personal topics for you, not supported by clear evidence, and therefore not of general interest for those who were previously unaware of ADHD. That doesn't mean don't say them - you need to say them - it just means don't claim to speak for others (such as "people with ADHD") when you discuss those topics.

mildadhd 03-18-17 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdnvwls (Post 1937661)
There are so many ways to look at this...

I have some suggestions:

- Don't try to manufacture agreement when it doesn't naturally occur. If we don't agree on certain points, there's no need to emphasize that fact; but if we try to deny the disagreements that exist, that will "come back to bite us" later.

- If any claim is not yet supported by mainstream scientific evidence, don't let it be part of ADHD awareness efforts; save it for private discussion amongst ourselves.

I think in the first post in this thread you've already accidentally highlighted some of the differences, by naming as "general" topics things that IMO are very personal topics for you, not supported by clear evidence, and therefore not of general interest for those who were previously unaware of ADHD. That doesn't mean don't say them - you need to say them - it just means don't claim to speak for others (such as "people with ADHD") when you discuss those topics.

Which topics did I mention, do you think are not common for all people with ADHD?

m

Fuzzy12 03-18-17 07:50 PM

Nothing thst mild had said in his first post is highly controversial.

Barkley considers adhd to be a problem with executive function aka self regulation.

Humans are born with different temperaments. You might even be able to see differences in the first hour after babies are born but definitely in the first few days even if other things are mostly similar.

Executive function does develop gradually over the years and there are environmental factors that influence this development or can result in problems with executive functions.

dvdnvwls 03-18-17 08:03 PM

Saying that ADHD is a deficit of self-regulation, instead of that kind of deficit being part of ADHD, was what struck me first. ADHD is much more than a self-regulation disorder.

Causation differences are not currently recognized or known or accepted, with the exception of violent head injury being able to cause the ADHD symptoms.

Fuzzy12 03-18-17 08:14 PM

Barkley himself has said that adhd is a disorder of executive function. That doesn't necessarily mean it has to be true of course but I think he is enough of an authority and expert on adhd to make this statement not mild's personal unsubstantiated opinion.

dvdnvwls 03-18-17 08:19 PM

Executive function and self-regulation are not the same thing. Or am I misconstruing some terms?

Fuzzy12 03-18-17 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdnvwls (Post 1937677)
Executive function and self-regulation are not the same thing. Or am I misconstruing some terms?

According to barkley each executive function is a form of self regulation.

mildadhd 03-18-17 08:56 PM

"EF = SR" -Dr. Barkley

Quote:

..In short, we use the various EFs for self-regulation to attain goals (alter future consequences): EF = SR. Now we can see that if ADHD is SRDD then SRDD is also EFDD. They are just interchangeable names for the same set of problems. People with ADHD have great difficulties with using their EFs for purposes of self-regulation and attaining their goals. (Dr. Barkley)

http://www.russellbarkley.org/factsh..._EF_and_SR.pdf

m

mildadhd 03-18-17 09:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nature's goal for human growth is for the eventual maturation of a self-motivated, self-regulated and self-reliant adult.

The infant lacks these attributes.

We may say that the natural agenda is really transformation of regulation dependence on another individual to dependence, from external regulation to internal regulation.

This shift from external to internal regulation requires the development of the prefrontal cortex, the cortex in the very anterior portion of the brain, including and especially the orbitofrontal cortex.

Gabor Mate M.D., "Scattered", p 78
Dvdnvwls,

I do not think you are wrong to say other parts of the brain are involved in brain regulation and the underdevelopment related to ADHD. There are. But development of orbitofrontal cortex is the part most interrupted. Slightly smaller (~5%) in people who have ADHD, than people without ADHD.

People who have TBI to the right prefrontal cortex appear to have very similar problems with neocortical self-regulation, as people who have ADHD. Difference is in ADHD there is slight underdevelopment of the right orbitofrontal cortex, but no brain damage.

Quote:

Quote:

What causes ADHD is not completely known but magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) has shown that children with ADHD have slightly smaller brains, especially in frontal cortical areas (~5%) involved in executive functions (e.g., impulse control) and coordination of movements (Krain & Castellanos, 2006).
http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/ADHD_and_Play

Fuzzy12 03-18-17 09:58 PM

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...KpbT940tESkewg

Slightly off topic but I think you might find it interesting. It's on the role of environmental influences on the pre frontal cortex and specific executive functions.

mildadhd 03-18-17 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 (Post 1937704)
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...KpbT940tESkewg

Slightly off topic but I think you might find it interesting. It's on the role of environmental influences on the pre frontal cortex and specific executive functions.

Thanks

Considering general development (genes x environments) helps promote general developmental strategies.

Especially for children born with more sensitive temperaments to environmental conditions.

Thanks for the article. There is lots more specific individually complex topics from the article to discuss more in depth, in a thread from the future called:

"How can we best promote individually complex ADHD awareness, while acknowledging our general similarities"

m

dvdnvwls 03-19-17 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildadhd (Post 1937689)

Thanks - I get it now.

dvdnvwls 03-19-17 08:42 PM

I think one of the important ways we can promote awareness is on the every-day personal level. Not remaining silent when there's a situation in which ADHD is a topic of conversation. Letting people know that many of their friends have ADHD regardless of their age, that it is under-diagnosed, and not allowing misrepresentations of ADHD to go unchallenged in ordinary conversation.

mildadhd 03-20-17 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdnvwls (Post 1937873)
I think one of the important ways we can promote awareness is on the every-day personal level. Not remaining silent when there's a situation in which ADHD is a topic of conversation. Letting people know that many of their friends have ADHD regardless of their age, that it is under-diagnosed, and not allowing misrepresentations of ADHD to go unchallenged in ordinary conversation.

Thanks

It makes sense that you can identify with, and want to help lessen the pain that people who have ADHD feel.

I am also interested in the topics mentioned above.

Everyone has been doing very good at keeping discussion focusing on general parts that are least controversial, in this thread discussion.

I don't always express myself well, but I sure feel understood so far in this thread.

Thanks

m

dvdnvwls 03-20-17 02:21 AM

Another thing I hope many of us will do is sort of cultural, showing by our lives and our actions that people with ADHD are part of making the world better than it has been.

That only happens when we're sure that people know we do have ADHD.

mildadhd 03-20-17 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdnvwls (Post 1937907)
Another thing I hope many of us will do is sort of cultural, showing by our lives and our actions that people with ADHD are part of making the world better than it has been.

That only happens when we're sure that people know we do have ADHD.

ADHD was the topic today on the Nature of Things (science documentary), and if I understood correctly, all Canadian correction facilities are testing all inmates for ADHD? (I have not verified the information yet, but if it is so, that will be good.)

The documentary on the Nature of Things was really good, but what the documentary did not discuss was essential information about how normal human self-regulation develops in interaction with the environment (genes x environment) in general.

m

dvdnvwls 03-20-17 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildadhd (Post 1937908)
ADHD was the topic today on the Nature of Things (science documentary), and if I understood correctly, all Canadian correction facilities are testing all inmates for ADHD? (I have not verified the information yet, but if it is so, that will be good.)

The documentary on the Nature of Things was really good, but what the documentary did not discuss was essential information about how normal human self-regulation develops in interaction with the environment (genes x environment) in general.

Yes, that's background information that people don't need to know and aren't interested in hearing, in terms of ADHD awareness and acceptance. Or perhaps it's not so much them not needing to know it - maybe more like the show's writers knowing that people aren't going to listen if that part is emphasized. Even a show like The Nature of Things must remain conscious of entertainment and viewer ratings - otherwise people simply change the channel and hear nothing at all about ADHD.

mildadhd 03-20-17 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdnvwls (Post 1937914)
Yes, that's background information that people don't need to know and aren't interested in hearing, in terms of ADHD awareness and acceptance. Or perhaps it's not so much them not needing to know it - maybe more like the show's writers knowing that people aren't going to listen if that part is emphasized. Even a show like The Nature of Things must remain conscious of entertainment and viewer ratings - otherwise people simply change the channel and hear nothing at all about ADHD.

Thanks for your perspective.

m

WheresMyMind 03-20-17 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildadhd (Post 1937630)
There is no doubt that AD(H)D (aka deficits of self-regulation) exists.

There is no doubt that we have deficits of self-regulation (aka AD(H)D).

There is also no doubt that we have differences in individual inherited temperaments and individual experiences, resulting in deficits of self-regulation.

How can we best promote general ADHD awareness, while still acknowledging our individual causation differences?

m

To be honest, I don't want to.

I can't think of a single instance in which people who belonged in a minority (whether ethnic, ability, disorder) "increased awareness", and did not simultaneously increase acrimony against their cause.

Speaking as one who not only has ADHD, but somewhat impaired vision, is a religious minority, and whose color engenders "interesting" racism", I am convinced that it's futile to expect the rest of the world to change their views.

Rather, it is MY JOB to figure out, with my ADHD, and all that other stuff, what is the best path for me to pursue, in the hopes of achieving a life in which I find bliss.

And you know what? That job is true for 100% of all humans on the planet.

Which is kind of cool, because it means, in the most important aspect possible - I really am one with the fabric of human existence. I belong!

As an example of what I mean, I have found it about 25 times as useful to not tell the boss I have ADHD but rather tell her where I have weaknesses - messy desk, slipped deadlines - and tell her, therefore "it's OK if you pester me about deadlines more often than you might pester others." In other words I told the boss how she could help me...not my ADHD.

And, if you really want to raise awareness, then tell me this - can you find a single-paragraph explanation about ADHD that informs people what they can expect out of someone who has it, and what kind of "accommodations" you're asking them to make? Having worked the other side of the HR desk, I have never once seen any such explanation that in any way, informs a business how they can accommodate one with ADHD. I know, business isn't everything.

WMM

mildadhd 03-20-17 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WheresMyMind (Post 1938122)
To be honest, I don't want to.

I can't think of a single instance in which people who belonged in a minority (whether ethnic, ability, disorder) "increased awareness", and did not simultaneously increase acrimony against their cause.

Speaking as one who not only has ADHD, but somewhat impaired vision, is a religious minority, and whose color engenders "interesting" racism", I am convinced that it's futile to expect the rest of the world to change their views.

Rather, it is MY JOB to figure out, with my ADHD, and all that other stuff, what is the best path for me to pursue, in the hopes of achieving a life in which I find bliss.

And you know what? That job is true for 100% of all humans on the planet.

Which is kind of cool, because it means, in the most important aspect possible - I really am one with the fabric of human existence. I belong!

As an example of what I mean, I have found it about 25 times as useful to not tell the boss I have ADHD but rather tell her where I have weaknesses - messy desk, slipped deadlines - and tell her, therefore "it's OK if you pester me about deadlines more often than you might pester others." In other words I told the boss how she could help me...not my ADHD.

And, if you really want to raise awareness, then tell me this - can you find a single-paragraph explanation about ADHD that informs people what they can expect out of someone who has it, and what kind of "accommodations" you're asking them to make? Having worked the other side of the HR desk, I have never once seen any such explanation that in any way, informs a business how they can accommodate one with ADHD. I know, business isn't everything.

WMM

Thanks, for your perspective.

I did not specify clearly enough, but I was also thinking about how can we promote general awareness among ourselves with ADHD.

For example.

If both parents have ADHD and they are expecting a baby.

It would be good to be aware of how self-regulation normally develops.

It would be good to know how to accommodate, if their infant is born with a more hypersensitive temperament, etc.

m