ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Men with ADD/ADHD (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   How do I know if my issues are ADHD or psychological related? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188945)

perchick 11-14-17 11:12 AM

How do I know if my issues are ADHD or psychological related?
 
Hey all, nice to me you, im new here :)

The fact that I can talk to awesome people like me is such a relief

Im kinda new at this even though I know I have ADHD for 14 years (im 29). I had some deep issues with this so I never questioned what people told me as a child about ADHD. Im dealing with it now and I have so many questions that are popping into my head.

The thing is, I can't tell anymore if my issues are due to ADHD or because of some other issues because I was diagnosed late or just bad habits that I have.
When you have a bad habit and a grown up tells you its your ADHD you kinda accept that this is the way you work. grown ups sucks!

maybe you could help me understand better, I NEED to know. this is bugging me so much.

1. I know getting started with a task is hard but I have real issues once I started to stay focus. this goes around 10-15 minutes and then Im getting into a task and then I can continue

2. If Im researching something (I work as a programmer, i have a lot of that) I can only do it for an hour or two before I feel overwhelmed and need of a break that very often turns into procrastination (even if its interesting). is that normal for ADHD? I thought that this is just some psychological issue, how can I need a break after each hour? this makes no sence

3. I just found out about Hyper-focus which I have when im doing action stuff (like writing code or actually doing stuff and feel progress). The problem is that most of my work is researching. How can I trigger the Hyper-focus on that? where is the ON button on this amazing feature my mind have?

The most annoying thing is how tired I feel after working for just an hour when researching. I had no problems sitting a full day doing math problems and school (loved it! im such a geek :D), why is this so different?

I really really hope to get some answers from you guys. I need to know if there is a deeper issue here or this is just how im wired

aeon 11-14-17 11:38 AM

Re: How do I know if my issues are ADHD or psychological related?
 
That all sounds like ADHD.


Cheers,
Ian

perchick 11-14-17 12:03 PM

Re: How do I know if my issues are ADHD or psychological related?
 
Well, this sucks....
Im going to keep trying to be able to work like a normal person. because its harder for me, slowly ill drive myself crazy or stop trying (which will never happen).
hmmm I wonder how crazy feels like...

Is there like a guide or a magic lamp that can help me with this stuff?

aeon 11-14-17 12:11 PM

Re: How do I know if my issues are ADHD or psychological related?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by perchick (Post 1972809)
Well, this sucks....
Im going to keep trying to be able to work like a normal person. because its harder for me, slowly ill drive myself crazy or stop trying (which will never happen).

Normal is an idea, not something people are.

And if you have ADHD, you have a developmental disorder.

You, like the rest of us, do the best you can, but donít set up an expectation that will lead to disappointment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by perchick (Post 1972809)
hmmm I wonder how crazy feels like...

Take care in using that word, as many find it offensive as applied to any number of disorders and disabilities.

Quote:

Originally Posted by perchick (Post 1972809)
Is there like a guide or a magic lamp that can help me with this stuff?

No, but I find dextroamphetamine sulfate works a treat.


Cheers,
Ian

perchick 11-14-17 01:24 PM

Re: How do I know if my issues are ADHD or psychological related?
 
Didn't meant to offend anyone of course, sorry if this is how it was understood.

Still, the fact is that I see people sitting down and beginning their work day as soon as they are getting in. their bad days occurs just once in a while but I have a bad day about once a week where I don't seem to be able to start working.

Each day I feel like im fighting so hard to meet my potential. It feels like everyone has some tricks for that, I just don't seem to be able to get it

Thanks though, at least I know it looks and feels like ADHD. deep issues are easier to deal with than this

BBSurf37 11-14-17 01:56 PM

Re: How do I know if my issues are ADHD or psychological related?
 
It's ADHD for sure. Same symptoms I had when I was in high school and college. I'm forty and was diagnosed last year. I've been taking Vyvanse 70mg and amph salts (generic Adderall) 20 mg. It does help. It prevents hyper focus and also procrastination. The only problem I have is getting my meds through all the red tape and BLUE SHIELD NOT COVERING the ADHD.

aeon 11-14-17 03:25 PM

Re: How do I know if my issues are ADHD or psychological related?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by perchick (Post 1972855)
Still, the fact is that I see people sitting down and beginning their work day as soon as they are getting in. their bad days occurs just once in a while but I have a bad day about once a week where I don't seem to be able to start working.

Part of the way I achieve this is the 10% by getting things (papers, to-dos, computer) arranged before I leave for the day so I can hit the ground running the next morning.

The other 90% is taking my Dex before I leave for work so by the time I sit down, I am ready to run the gauntlet.


Cheers,
Ian

PoppnNSailinMan 11-14-17 04:53 PM

Re: How do I know if my issues are ADHD or psychological related?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBSurf37 (Post 1972861)
I've been taking Vyvanse 70mg and amph salts (generic Adderall) 20 mg. It does help. It prevents hyper focus and also procrastination.

I'm interested that you say that your Vyvanse prevents hyperfocus. I've been on Vyvanse for about 3 months now, and in my case, I've found that I can sustain my focus much better on many things that I couldn't before. But my tendency to hyperfocus on something that interests me (usually something on the Internet) so that I end up spending a lot more time on it than I realized or than I should have does not seem to have diminished at all. As a result, I'm still having a bit of a hard time organizing my time and sticking to a schedule. And when I'm hyperfocused, I still turn off alarms I've set for myself on my phone or my desktop to remind me of something that I need to do without really realizing it.

I've also found that it's easier for me to finish things that I might not find enjoyable once I've started them and it's probably a little bit easier to start those kinds of tasks. But I still find it difficult sometimes to get started and can still procrastinate plenty if it involves something I don't really like doing.

I'd like to hear from others whether they have found that their meds prevent hyperfocus and procrastination.

sarahsweets 11-15-17 05:27 AM

Re: How do I know if my issues are ADHD or psychological related?
 
For me, hyperfocus is an impairment because I cant control it and I cant contain it.

DeClutter 11-15-17 05:45 AM

Re: How do I know if my issues are ADHD or psychological related?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by perchick (Post 1972794)
3. I just found out about Hyper-focus which I have when im doing action stuff (like writing code or actually doing stuff and feel progress). The problem is that most of my work is researching. How can I trigger the Hyper-focus on that? where is the ON button on this amazing feature my mind have?

I have some experience with programming, and ussually to get into that hyperfocus i kind of jumped in head first (bypassing a very broad research up-front).

I hyperfocused to create a quick prototype, and once there the questions that would have normally been answered in research came up only then. The advantages was though, i was in hyperfocus already, so looking up those missing puzzlepieces was not perceived as boring, it was more like a problem-solving puzzle i could play around with.

Ofcourse this can be a chaotic way of working, and when you work in team or with a very structured software development cycle, it may not be possible at all.

perchick 11-15-17 06:42 AM

Re: How do I know if my issues are ADHD or psychological related?
 
OMG! this is an awesome idea!

Im used to first research everything (its alot easier to start a task when you know what you will have to face upfront) and only then start the action stuff.

I think your idea might be very good because each time you need to go and research something its because you need to answer some problem that will help you continue. as soon as you have an answer (which may requires much less research than learning everything first) you can feel a progress which is super important as a reword.

I think this its an awesome Idea and I going to try it! I kinda have issues with starting a task when I don't really know what Ill need to do but I think this is easier to deal with than trying to maintain focus when I don't feel progress reward very often

COOOL :) :) :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums