ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Concerta (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Concerta absorbtion during stomach issues needing pepto bismol (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59837)

chowmix 11-14-08 11:41 PM

Concerta absorbtion during stomach issues needing pepto bismol

I'll try to keep this as un gross as possible.

Has anyone had issues with uneven absorption of Concerta during a bout of upset stomach? (I'm not talking about concerta CAUSING an upset stomach, but rather with concerta not working the same way while you have intestinal problems)

Specifically, I took Concerta at the usual time this morning while I was having some minor stomach upset (nothing major.) I took Pepto Bismol about a half hour later and later on in the day. My stomach felt better, but I 'relieved' myself more than usual.

The Concerta effect during the day seemed uneven; it quit way too soon and never really 'peaked.' Could the pepto bisomol or an accelerated pass through the gut impact Concerta?

Any experience?

bluewaterbob 05-15-09 02:23 PM

Re: Concerta absorbtion during stomach issues needing pepto bismol

Your problem makes perfect sense. When you're stomach is upset it usually is too alkaline to digest whatever is bothering it. Taking Pepto or Tums or Rolaids, etc, makes your stomach very alkaline, which would seem like that would make it worse, but what happens is your system realizes you need lots of acid and produces it, and that higher acidic level digests the problem. You may have taken the Pepto for diah. but result was the same, the higher acidic level of your stomach quickly metabolized the Concerta, and the trips you mentioned to the bathroom, causing the Concerta to quickly leave your body without its steady stream of Concerta med.

Not sure what to suggest. After diah. or upset stomach is gone eat/drink something to reduce the acid might help, but retaking Concerta too late in the day will keep you up all night, and if it didn't leave your system you might end up with too much in you. I'd call your doc, otherwise do things that won't be difficult without ADD med (creativity might be better) and wait till tomorrow to take more Concerta.

Arwen 05-15-09 11:20 PM

Re: Concerta absorbtion during stomach issues needing pepto bismol

There usually is a warning on the packet of antacids like Pepto Bismol, Mylanta and Gaviscon. You cant take any medications 2 hours before or after taking antacids as it retards the absorption of the other medication. So you will get erratic absorption into the blood stream, and some might even be wasted.

You CAN take Pepto Bismol, just not 2 hours before or after the meds. I take similar products, and when usually take them 2 hours before I need to take the medication. Works fine.