ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Ever Hired a "Finisher"? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187838)

Shelsi 09-10-17 04:11 PM

Ever Hired a "Finisher"?

I am inattentive type. I used to be able to finish most projects back when I was a stay at home mom but now I've been a full time college student for 3.5 yrs. I also have a 10 yr old daughter with ADHD and ODD plus a 13 year old with ADHD & suspected ASD. I have NO energy anymore to actually finish anything.

But of course I start a bunch of projects anyways...

Anyone ever hire a regular handy-person to finish for you? At least the things you start & want finished, are driving you nuts for not being finished, but you just can't actually finish them??

TheGreatKing 09-10-17 05:58 PM

Re: Ever Hired a "Finisher"?

No never did.. depends the project i guess, tho i have thought of selling my ideas to companies that are willing to buy them..... is that possible?

TheGreatKing 09-10-17 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelsi (Post 1963773)
I am inattentive type. I used to be able to finish most projects back when I was a stay at home mom but now I've been a full time college student for 3.5 yrs. I also have a 10 yr old daughter with ADHD and ODD plus a 13 year old with ADHD & suspected ASD. I have NO energy anymore to actually finish anything.

But of course I start a bunch of projects anyways...

Anyone ever hire a regular handy-person to finish for you? At least the things you start & want finished, are driving you nuts for not being finished, but you just can't actually finish them??

house projects?

Shelsi 09-10-17 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreatKing (Post 1963785)
house projects?

Mostly yes. Some are fairly basic like some new base cabinets I put in & painted but have no toe-kick and no countertop. Others are a bit more on the creative side like my son's nerf gun wall that has the pegboard painted and hung on his wall (well half the panels I wanted to do anyways) but every time I remember to buy the hooks I get overwhelmed figuring out what size/kind to buy and how many and how to actually figure out where all the guns & hooks will go on the board. At that point I throw up my hands and walk away.

I guess I like doing the projects so I don't want to just pass them off completely to someone else - more like I want someone to help complete them. Obviously a friend or my husband would be great but hubby hates this sort of stuff and the few local friends I have aren't into it either 🤷🏼*♀️

ScatterBrainX 09-11-17 07:03 AM

Having an assistant of sorts would be great!

I am a freelancer/indie game dev. The last parts of the project are always the hardest. My dream is to one day be able to afford hiring people, and just giving them the tasks I feel too overwhelmed with doing myself.

In the meanwhile, it is good practice to try to overcome these things. Figure out what it is that's making you want to procrastinate on them, and look for ways to minimize it.

Shelsi 09-11-17 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScatterBrainX (Post 1963873)
In the meanwhile, it is good practice to try to overcome these things. Figure out what it is that's making you want to procrastinate on them, and look for ways to minimize it.

Oh yes, I certainly do - luckily my university offers ADHD coaching. Occasionally, I get stuck on the boring part of the project but more often than not it's either 1) an organizational issue with too many parts to figure out leaving me overwhelmed or 2) I get super busy with the parts of my life that require "doing" (school, kids, grocery shopping, etc) and it just sort of sucks the energy out of me for doing much else.

finallyfound10 09-11-17 02:11 PM

I have hired a handyman to hang things for me since my dad isn't able to anymore and I don't have any male friends- and I certainly don't have a boyfriend.

TheGreatKing 09-11-17 02:20 PM

man, if i had an assistant or assistants to finish my projects, honestly i think i would love my life lol

Batman55 09-11-17 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScatterBrainX (Post 1963873)
I am a freelancer/indie game dev. The last parts of the project are always the hardest. My dream is to one day be able to afford hiring people, and just giving them the tasks I feel too overwhelmed with doing myself.

Man.. being a freelancer/indie game dev would be my dream. I've long since determined the only thing I can be is some kind of artist... the problem is my executive functions are so profoundly bad that I cannot even do ONE thing at a time without extreme difficulty, fighting against a brain that will not remember, will not plan, will not hold onto information.

Do you find meds (or things like caffeine) necessary to help you get the tasks done ?

ScatterBrainX 09-12-17 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Batman55 (Post 1963995)
Man.. being a freelancer/indie game dev would be my dream. I've long since determined the only thing I can be is some kind of artist... the problem is my executive functions are so profoundly bad that I cannot even do ONE thing at a time without extreme difficulty, fighting against a brain that will not remember, will not plan, will not hold onto information.

Do you find meds (or things like caffeine) necessary to help you get the tasks done ?

Oh, definitely! Meds, therapy, mindfulness and lots of coffee is what gets me through! As well as other coping mechanisms (writing everything down while talking to clients, then adding everything to a well-structured TODO list, etc.).

Before all this, my freelancing career was really bad. I would enthusiastically start on a new project, and do great work for a day or two. Then I would burn out, and procrastinate for a few days. Then, as the client was getting impatient or I ran out of money for rent, I would anxiously pull an all-nighter and get another chunk done. I almost got kicked out of my apartment lol.

Now my rule is "do something every day, even if for just 1h, even if it won't be my best work". It's more stable, and I got into budgeting (so the "oh **** I won't have money for food" kicks in sooner, but to a lesser degree).

Shelsi 09-12-17 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finallyfound10 (Post 1963909)
I have hired a handyman to hang things for me since my dad isn't able to anymore and I don't have any male friends- and I certainly don't have a boyfriend.

If you're at all interested in doing those sorts of things I strongly suggest you try them - hanging things is certainly not only for men!

I actually got into all these projects when I decided to remove ugly wood paneling covering my kitchen walls only to discover there were no walls!! :eek: The paneling had been hung directly on the studs (in 1967!). My husband called someone but it was going to be over $1,000 so I Youtubed it. I tried to convince my husband we could do DIY drywall but like I said earlier, he hates that stuff. So I figured what the heck, I had some vacation time coming up, and I hung drywall by myself! The only part my husband played was helping to hold up the panels as I screwed them in & sometimes showing me how to use some of the tools.

Now I've gotten into some wood-working & while my stuff may not exactly look like Pottery Barn I'm pretty proud of it (when I finish enough of it to use it that is! haha).

acdc01 09-13-17 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreatKing (Post 1963784)
No never did.. depends the project i guess, tho i have thought of selling my ideas to companies that are willing to buy them..... is that possible?

Look up prototype companies. My sister told me to get get one to build some of the ideas I've had. Have never been motivated enough to do so.

acdc01 09-13-17 10:10 AM

I hire handyman services, general contractors, plumbers, etc. all the time.

You at least saved on part of the cost by doing some of it yourself. Personally, full time school and kids, I'm not sure an nt could even start the projects let alone finish.

PoppnNSailinMan 09-13-17 03:31 PM

I'll eventually need to hire a finisher, too, someday to finish the bathroom I started to remodel.

About 14 years ago, I decided to remodel the guest bathroom in my house by putting in tile and new fixtures. So I tore out the old linoleum, the old sink, toilet and bathtub, and tore the old wallboard off the walls so that I could put up special wallboard for tiling. I then bought about $1000 worth of tiles, and all new fixtures. Well, the guest bathroom has never been used since then and 14 years later, the only thing that got installed was the new bathtub. The tiles are stored in the hall closet, and the new sink and toilet are in the garage. And all my guests have had to go through my bedroom to get to the other bathroom.

stef 09-13-17 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoppnNSailinMan (Post 1964275)
I'll eventually need to hire a finisher, too, someday to finish the bathroom I started to remodel.

About 14 years ago, I decided to remodel the guest bathroom in my house by putting in tile and new fixtures. So I tore out the old linoleum, the old sink, toilet and bathtub, and tore the old wallboard off the walls so that I could put up special wallboard for tiling. I then bought about $1000 worth of tiles, and all new fixtures. Well, the guest bathroom has never been used since then and 14 years later, the only thing that got installed was the new bathtub. The tiles are stored in the hall closet, and the new sink and toilet are in the garage. And all my guests have had to go through my bedroom to get to the other bathroom.

OMG, when I was in middle school my dad removed all the tile around the bathtub. and it stayed that way until we moved, 4 years later.