ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   To be extremely sensitive to injustice. (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195812)

PI-ADHD 29 06-12-20 03:41 PM

To be extremely sensitive to injustice.

I have a shy, calm and quiet personality normally. I'm tolerant to well-intentioned mistakes but when i encounter an injustice (there're countless in our country) i become braver than people around me, unexpectedly. Most of people get insensitive to injustice and tell nothing about or they express it rationally and moderately. I express my thoughts directly and agressively. I don't or can't use a diplomatic language.
These are rare and sudden angry bursts. Of course in most situations i can't say anything because of fear. I get so angry and loss sleep about injustice that sometimes i feel chest pain and palpitations.
I can't understand how people can withstand and ignore injustice.
How about you, is there anyone like me?

fathom6 06-14-20 01:32 PM

Re: To be extremely sensitive to injustice.

Interesting. I feel exactly same. I have the 'in-attentive' type and take Vyvanse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PI-ADHD 29 (Post 2025820)
I have a shy, calm and quiet personality normally. I'm tolerant to well-intentioned mistakes but when i encounter an injustice (there're countless in our country) i become braver than people around me, unexpectedly. Most of people get insensitive to injustice and tell nothing about or they express it rationally and moderately. I express my thoughts directly and agressively. I don't or can't use a diplomatic language.
These are rare and sudden angry bursts. Of course in most situations i can't say anything because of fear. I get so angry and loss sleep about injustice that sometimes i feel chest pain and palpitations.

namazu 06-14-20 03:44 PM

I don't personally believe that people with ADHD are inherently more sensitive to injustice than other people.

People with ADHD represent a broad cross-section of society, including a wide range of ethical, religious, and political beliefs (which we can't discuss here, per ADDF guidelines!) that have different lenses on what constitutes justice/injustice. And just as occurs among people without ADHD, some people with ADHD unfortunately cause or perpetuate injustice or harm to others.

Some of us may become more attuned to (and less tolerant of) injustice on account of growing up "different", experiencing discrimination or other harm on account of our ADHD, or becoming involved with advocacy for people with disabilities.

I do believe that impulse-control issues common in ADHD might make some of us less likely to hold our tongue when we encounter situations/ideas that we find unacceptable, whatever they may be. And some comorbidities -- anxiety, autism, etc. -- may make us that much more likely to dwell or focus on injustice (sometimes for the better, if we can turn it into constructive action, and sometimes for the worse, if we just ruminate/stew/get depressed/lash out in unproductive ways).

mildadhd 06-15-20 03:41 AM

I believe many people who have AD(H)D are more likely to identify with injustice because many of us are born more environmentally sensitive.

That is what is genetically inherited about AD(H)D.

Whether children born more environmentally sensitive develop, or lack development of top down self control (top down executive functions) also depends on individual environmental experiences.

In many cases severity of AD(H)D impairment at least partly depends on environmental experiences of a child who previously inherited a more emotionally sensitive temperament.

People of any age, who have AD(H)D may also identify with similar injustices because they are more likely to have implicit memories and/or explicit memories and related feelings of similar injustices, experienced or witnessed as highly emotionally sensitive people.

Extremely important thread discussion topics/factors to understand for caregivers, teachers, people involved with highly sensitive children and all people general.

Thank You for posting this extremely important thread discussion.

M

midnightstar 06-15-20 05:18 AM

I think any decent person would say that injustice is unacceptable. I can get fired up when there's injustice sometimes.

KarmanMonkey 07-02-20 01:58 PM

I often get angry, and at the same time feel powerless to affect change. That has been swinging back and forth somewhat having worked on a mental health unit for 8 years; some days I can see positive change that I helped create. Other days it feels like I'm dealing with the same old ****, especially when I encounter people who actively resist change; who are so afraid of seeing that they might have been causing harm that they immediately shut down and become defensive.

All I can suggest from my experience is:

1) Find like-minded allies so you might support each other in your efforts (and hopefully some will have strengths that we ADDults lack and help channel your energy)

2) Find ways to effectively channel that anger into something powerful and effective

3) Look for little ways to respond to injustices and oppression before they lead to a level of anger that causes an uncontrolled response (read about microaggression and microresistance for more on this)

4) Keep fighting! Intolerance is fed by people who see it and do nothing. Pick your battles, certainly, but keep fighting!

There are plenty of things at my work about which I stay quiet; if I objected to every little thing that bothered me I'd quickly alienate everyone I worked with. That being said, person by person, conversation by conversation, I have shifted some of the culture here.

Where I often feel overwhelmed is when it comes to systemic oppression. Where laws, policies, and accepted practice have embedded oppression. It's especially frustrating when a small but vocal minority lead politicians to feel that public opinion is in favour of maintaining these oppressive practices.

SashaBV 07-02-20 07:47 PM

I think to be bullied or systematically ignored by other children in your childhood makes people more sensitive to the suffering of others.

Greyhound1 07-02-20 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PI-ADHD 29 (Post 2025820)

I didnít read anything in your post about this being an ADHD issue. Several responses seem to be connecting the two. Weíre you implying this is an ADHD symptom or just describing how youíre sensitive to injustice? Just seeking some clarification.

To answer your question, Iím somewhat like you. Iím very sensitive to injustice when it concerns my close friends or loved ones and quick to react or even overreact. I have sympathy and empathy when it happens to others I donít know but less likely to react unless itís blatant and I witness it. With strangers and not knowing all the facts or details, Iím less likely to get involved.