ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Can't stop my mind racing (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194037)

tudorose 12-02-18 06:48 AM

Can't stop my mind racing

The last couple of days I've been really unsettled. There's just so much going on that everywhere I think I find something to worry about. There is no safe place to go in my thoughts that doesn't lead to worry.

I don't know how to stop and I'm driving myself crazy.

Any ideas to quiet a hyperactive / overactive mind in the absence of being able to take and meds?

sarahsweets 12-02-18 07:25 AM

Re: Can't stop my mind racing

I dont know if this will help but through my own spiritual practice i have learned to talk to myself. (in a good way). I will literally say "Sarah stop thinking about that you can't control it and you can't change it let it go". Or another mantra "Not my problem, not my business, not my worry". I wouldnt have believed in self talk or deep breathing before I got sober. I would have told someone to f off if they had told me to do this. But it helps me.

tudorose 12-02-18 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahsweets (Post 2011259)
I dont know if this will help but through my own spiritual practice i have learned to talk to myself. (in a good way). I will literally say "Sarah stop thinking about that you can't control it and you can't change it let it go". Or another mantra "Not my problem, not my business, not my worry". I wouldnt have believed in self talk or deep breathing before I got sober. I would have told someone to f off if they had told me to do this. But it helps me.

Thanks Sarah will give that a try

Alphawave 12-02-18 12:36 PM

I find I have a real acceptance of it and that stops me worrying about it so much. My brain (or thoughts) are different from other people and that's that.

Hodgo77 12-02-18 07:38 PM

Questioning your thoughts also can help. For example, is the thought I'm having now useful, does it serve a purpose, am I planning a future "something" or remunirating on past events. Am I worried, excited, hurt, working something out, etc. etc.

Delving a little deeper into your thoughts can help. Letting them run their course without understanding is annoying, once I'm annoyed I tend to think differently with more emotion instead of logic which in tunr causes the thoughts to go round and around and around.

My ADD brain however find it very dificult to take out the emotion.

Another thing I do is too write down my thoughts when they are over powering. Once on paper it's as if I've let the thought leave my brain. Then on paper again, I ask myself why is that thought there, does it have a purpose etc. etc. I write my answer, I find this very helpful.

Mindfullness teaches these methods and is great for a fast thinking brain. However I find it hard to practise mindfulness when on meds as my brain is working overtime.

tudorose 12-03-18 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hodgo77 (Post 2011300)
Questioning your thoughts also can help. For example, is the thought I'm having now useful, does it serve a purpose, am I planning a future "something" or remunirating on past events. Am I worried, excited, hurt, working something out, etc. etc.

Delving a little deeper into your thoughts can help. Letting them run their course without understanding is annoying, once I'm annoyed I tend to think differently with more emotion instead of logic which in tunr causes the thoughts to go round and around and around.

My ADD brain however find it very dificult to take out the emotion.

Another thing I do is too write down my thoughts when they are over powering. Once on paper it's as if I've let the thought leave my brain. Then on paper again, I ask myself why is that thought there, does it have a purpose etc. etc. I write my answer, I find this very helpful.

Mindfullness teaches these methods and is great for a fast thinking brain. However I find it hard to practise mindfulness when on meds as my brain is working overtime.

Thanks some good points here i didn't see the obvious of writing it all down and applying reasoning

Hodgo77 12-03-18 09:32 AM

Good luck. If you haven’t already, download the “calm” app for your phone. It’s great.

Greyhound1 12-03-18 10:41 PM

I find brain entrainment with binaural beats to be helpful at times. It's difficult sometimes when I’m overly anxious to get into it, though. It works kinda like meditation except your brain doesn’t have to be the guide.

Finding the right Hz frequency was the key for me. I listened to many with its accompanying video and they didn’t do much. One even made me so sick to my stomach, I threw up. I finally found one that can help change and slow down my racing mind.

The hard part is taking the time and being mindful enough to follow through with brain entrainment even when your brain would prefer to stay racing and worried. I often know, I should and can’t seem to stop and do it usually, when I need it the most.

I have found it to be more effective for me than meditation. I can’t to seem focus long enough to meditate. I like brain entrainment because you just relax and take it in without having to think about it.

I can send you links if interested.

Quote:

Brainwave entrainment

Brainwave entrainment, also referred to as brainwave synchronization[1] and neural entrainment, refers to the hypothesized capacity of the brain to naturally synchronize its brainwave frequencies with the rhythm of periodic external stimuli, most commonly auditory, visual, or tactile.

It is widely accepted that patterns of neural firing, measured in Hz, correspond with states of alertness such as focused attention, deep sleep, etc.[2]It is hypothesized that listening to these beats of certain frequencies one can induce a desired state of consciousness that corresponds with specific neural activity.

tudorose 12-05-18 10:19 AM

I did find a solution of sorts. Less thinking more digging, concreting, lifting and paving.

Seems there is some kind of serenity in manual labour.

Greyhound1 12-05-18 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tudorose (Post 2011434)
I did find a solution of sorts. Less thinking more digging, concreting, lifting and paving.

Seems there is some kind of serenity in manual labour.

Glad you found a solution thatís working!

Manual labor and exercise are usually helpful for me as well. Itís finding the motivation to escape my brain is usually the problem. Somehow my mind can almost always fool myself that the thoughts and thought pattern are important and need to be sorted. No sorting gets done but I get into a loop and it becomes a battle to change gears.

Do you have any hobbies or passions? I know a day on the lake fishing works better for me than any antidepressants or Xanax do.

tudorose 12-06-18 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyhound1 (Post 2011459)
Glad you found a solution thatís working!

Manual labor and exercise are usually helpful for me as well. Itís finding the motivation to escape my brain is usually the problem. Somehow my mind can almost always fool myself that the thoughts and thought pattern are important and need to be sorted. No sorting gets done but I get into a loop and it becomes a battle to change gears.

Do you have any hobbies or passions? I know a day on the lake fishing works better for me than any antidepressants or Xanax do.

Hobbies yeah just haven't had time this year. Hopefully next year !! Haven't been cycling or kayaking for ages.

I can't seem to get the brain to work without some kind of movement. I think I was stuck in a loop too