ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General ADD Talk (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What is your “agenda/reason” for frequenting ADDForums? (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190612)

mildadhd 03-03-18 04:45 AM

What is your “agenda/reason” for frequenting ADDForums?

Why do you frequent ADDForums?

Does everyone who frequents ADDForums have some type of “agenda” for being here at ADDForums?

Is “agenda” the right word to use in this context?

I do not always have the same interests/preferences as other members.

Do you think members who do not always agree with the majority have some type of hidden agenda or do some people simply have a different opinion based on personal experiences/preferences?

Who does not have some type of agenda/reason for frequenting ADDForums?

M

OyVeyKitty 03-03-18 06:12 AM

Re: What is your “agenda/reason” for frequenting ADDForums?

Typically when people say someone has an agenda for doing something, they refer to that person having a hidden agenda. That is, that the person has a plan to do something (usually negative) without others having knowledge of their intentions. An example would be registering and participating only in order to gather information about members to use against people with ADHD, without telling anyone that it's your plan.

In that sense I don't have an agenda, so you can add me to your list of people without an agenda. Then again, isn't that exactly what a person with an agenda would say? :p My actual reasons vary from simple boredom and procrastination to being curious about something to wanting to help people. I visit pretty much at least once a day, but I don't post that often because I don't feel I have much to add in most cases or don't feel like my input would be of much value.

psychopathetic 03-03-18 06:15 AM

I'm here for various personal and nefarious reasons. :giggle:

I just wanted an excuse to use the word nefarious. :yes:

daveddd 03-03-18 07:04 AM

When I say I don’t have an agenda in a forum it’s because I feel like someone s response hinted that I did

Like there was something between the lines of my post. Or I’m trying to manipulate a conversation into a certain direction

I’m not sure why I feel that way but it seems I get responses to my posts that aren’t related to what I said. Like I was implying something I wasn’t. And someone inferred something that wasn’t there

Maybe it relates to communication difficulties in adhd

midnightstar 03-03-18 07:06 AM

I'm here to get and recieve support, idk if this is an "agenda" - I thought agenda meant something negative?

Unless me being here is a negative thing for everyone? idk

sarahsweets 03-03-18 07:48 AM

I love giving and getting support. Someone with an agenda would be like if a topic was always being discussed in many ways across multiple threads in hopes of somehow swaying a large group of people to think like they do. Someone with an agenda hopes to stir the pot, create discord or argue for arguments sake about the same subject. I dont think I do that.

mildadhd 03-03-18 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightstar (Post 1987345)
I'm here to get and recieve support, idk if this is an "agenda" - I thought agenda meant something negative?

Unless me being here is a negative thing for everyone? idk

I do know, I certainly do not think anyone being here is a negative thing, especially you.

M

mildadhd 03-03-18 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveddd (Post 1987344)
When I say I don’t have an agenda in a forum it’s because I feel like someone s response hinted that I did

Like there was something between the lines of my post. Or I’m trying to manipulate a conversation into a certain direction

I’m not sure why I feel that way but it seems I get responses to my posts that aren’t related to what I said. Like I was implying something I wasn’t. And someone inferred something that wasn’t there

Maybe it relates to communication difficulties in adhd

Interesting, because sometimes I feel we are on the same page, then all of a sudden we are not.

Maybe it has something to do with the multiple factors involved, including personal preferences?

It’s like we meet at the same intersection, then drive off in different directions?

M

mildadhd 03-03-18 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahsweets (Post 1987346)
I love giving and getting support. Someone with an agenda would be like if a topic was always being discussed in many ways across multiple threads in hopes of somehow swaying a large group of people to think like they do. Someone with an agenda hopes to stir the pot, create discord or argue for arguments sake about the same subject. I dont think I do that.

I think most of us do that to a certain degree, but I wonder if it is mostlly due to diversity of personal experiences and personal preferences.

What is right for some people, might not be right for all people, kind(s) of thing(s)?

M

sarahsweets 03-03-18 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildadhd (Post 1987359)
I think most of us do that to a certain degree, but I wonder if it is mostlly due to diversity of personal experiences and personal preferences.

What is right for some people, might not be right for all people, kind(s) of thing(s)?

M

I dont know if its diversity or not. Personal preferences? Maybe. Or maybe just to reiterate a point thats been made already?

daveddd 03-03-18 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildadhd (Post 1987358)
Interesting, because sometimes I feel we are on the same page, then all of a sudden we are not.

Maybe it has something to do with the multiple factors involved, including personal preferences?

It’s like we meet at the same intersection, then drive off in different directions?

M

I do think you have some interesting info. I just cannot be sure of something that can’t yet be proven. So I like to see different sides

mildadhd 03-03-18 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveddd (Post 1987372)
I do think you have some interesting info. I just cannot be sure of something that can’t yet be proven. So I like to see different sides

I agree.

The same goes for yours and everyone else’s opinions.

Question.

If I hypothetically disagree with your interpretation of a scientific article you posted, in the science section, based on information in the article, would you find that invalidating or a difference of opinion?

M

sarahsweets 03-03-18 02:50 PM

I dont see anything wrong disagreeing, but presenting your ( not you, I mean a collective you) points as absolutes is what I find difficult to understand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildadhd (Post 1987373)
I agree.

Question.

If I hypothetically disagree with your interpretation of a scientific article you posted, in the science section, based on information in the article, would you find that invalidating or a difference of opinion?

M

mildadhd 03-03-18 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahsweets (Post 1987379)
I dont see anything wrong disagreeing, but presenting your ( not you, I mean a collective you) points as absolutes is what I find difficult to understand.

Thanks

I think if we looked, we could find examples of many of us making same mistake.

That being said, in the future I will try harder to use more appropriate terminology when I reply in general.

M

daveddd 03-03-18 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildadhd (Post 1987373)
I agree.

Question.

M

i wouldnt be surprised if i misinterpreted a large amount of articles

Lunacie 03-03-18 03:26 PM

A 'reason' is a basis or explanation for a belief or action.

An ' agenda' is a plan or a list of things to be done.

I don't believe I have an agenda for being a participating member of this forum.

I am here to learn things about mental illness, to share my own experiences,
to find other people who share my beliefs or traits. Those are reasons.

ToneTone 03-03-18 03:29 PM

Get support.

Get motivation.

Share what I've learned.

Encourage others.

Tone

sarahsweets 03-04-18 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildadhd (Post 1987384)
Thanks

I think if we looked, we could find examples of many of us making same mistake.

That being said, in the future I will try harder to use more appropriate terminology when I reply in general.

M

I guess I dont look at it the same way. Not as in mistakes- more misunderstandings? Or not being clear? Sometimes I think its deliberate.

Little Nut 03-04-18 03:02 PM

Cut up Mild's OP so easier for me to be clear what question or statement my response goes with.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mildadhd (Post 1987339)
----SNIPPAGE----

Why do you frequent ADDForums?

Socialize w/ people that I have "this" in common with.
  • I don't have ADHD buddies that I go out and have a cupla beers with. Joke, share common experiences, blow off steam.....
  • I think Docs for the most part do a poor job explaining the process for starting and evaluating ADHD treatment w/ stims. This is also the time that I was and I believe most individuals are the most anxious. I spent alot of time up-front studying/rationalizing that part for me to feel comfortable with it. I try to help others (where I am capable) of understanding what the initial process "mechanics" are and ways to objectively evaluate their treatment.
  • Gain insights into longer term "issues" I might encounter or need to avoid.

Quote:

Does everyone who frequents ADDForums have some type of “agenda” for being here at ADDForums?
YES. But for me agenda just means goal or purpose. (In all honesty, Mild, I have a "feeling" you mean a hidden or not overt purpose.)

Quote:

Is “agenda” the right word to use in this context?
Yes if we share the same understanding of what "agenda" means/includes. (Damn, I sound like Bill Clinton and "Is".)

Quote:

I do not always have the same interests/preferences as other members.

Do you think members who do not always agree with the majority have some type of hidden agenda or do some people simply have a different opinion based on personal experiences/preferences?
I think either is likely/possible. I like to think my default mode is to assume a simple difference of opinion. TBH there have been times I strongly suspect someone's post of not being open and forthright, I have adjusted my response.

Quote:

Who does not have some type of agenda/reason for frequenting ADDForums?
No One. I believe everyone is here for a reason(s) whether they are open/honest/forthright about it or they attempt to hide/obfuscate it. IOW everyone is here for a reason, not everyone is honest about it.

Mild, I have a question for you. Why are you asking these (in this post and others) questions and to what end? I suspect it is more than to collect information, but to promote/provoke a dialogue. For me I ask this question because I am simply curious what the dialogue may be about. TIA, -LN

mildadhd 03-04-18 04:44 PM

Hi Little Nut

Thanks

I honestly do not mean hidden agenda.

Maybe if we consider the term “epigenetically inherited”, would help understand what I am thinking.

Some people could have a epigenetically inherited predisposition due to distresses that their grandparents experienced, that may make the emergence of AD(H)D more likely.

Some people could have no epigenetically inherited predisposition, but experienced distresses in utero, or after birth in early life that may make the emergence of AD(H)D more likely.

Some people could have both epigenetically inherited predisposition and experienced early life distresses that may make AD(H)D even more likely to emerge.

I started this thread to get different perspectives/reasons why people frequent ADDForums, to show that people can have different perspectives and not have a hidden agenda.

Side note, I also seem start threads with a good idea what I want to discuss, but have a hard time verbally expressing what I want to discuss.

Often the discussion at hand helps me to develop the terminology, so I understand that my threads can sometimes be confusing, but that is not intentional, my intention is as much about learning to express myself better, as it is to discuss any particular subject.

Also when I feel people are “attacking” me i find it harder to verbally reply, and when people like you do not attack me, i sometimes find it much easier for me to find the right words to reply.

I also wonder if the people who get frustrated with me, would wait til after the 30 minute time period allowed for me to correct and clarify after posting would help reduce everyone’s frustration. (Something about the 30 minute timeline helps me sometimes focus and notice where I could have expressed myself better, remove parts that I might be out of line or correct my mistakes)

Even if you disagree, your patience in disagreeing is much appreciated.

M

Lunacie 03-04-18 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildadhd (Post 1987562)

Also when I feel people are “attacking” me i find it harder to verbally reply, and when people like you do not attack me, i sometimes find it much easier for me to find the right words to reply.

M

mild, does it feel like a person is attacking you when they say they don't
understand and ask you for more information or to clarify?

My autistic granddaughter sometimes feels she is being attacked when we are
asking her something. She had a meltdown Friday night and when I went to
ask her if she was okay she was very rude about telling me to go away.

She was apparently overwhelmed and couldn't answer any questions right then
even though I was trying to find out if I could help her.

aeon 03-04-18 08:50 PM

No agenda, but my reason for participating on the forum is to enjoy the experience.

That enjoyment comes from:

• reading someone genuinely sharing of themselves
  • witnessing someone's success and/or growth
  • gabbing with levity and lulz
  • learning something new or being reminded of something forgotten
  • reading old posts and seeing how situations and people change
  • enjoying other people's gifts in terms of language, storytelling, and articulation
  • being shown perspectives and interests I would not have considered myself
  • keeping in touch with those I have a relationship with beyond the casual
  • reading/seeing artistic expression in writing, art, and photography
  • knowing through feedback that something I said was of value and/or help to someone

I'm sure I've forgotten some things, and I left out a couple of things I didn't have words to explain.

tl;dr ...the people here.

Cheers,
Ian

psychopathetic 03-04-18 10:40 PM

Beautiful post.

(((((((Aeon)))))))

aeon 03-04-18 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychopathetic (Post 1987593)
Beautiful post.

(((((((Aeon)))))))

Thanks. Know that your recent elephant and nefarious posts brought me the lulz. :lol:

Cheers,
Ian

yentzee 03-05-18 09:14 AM

It makes me feel good to read that there are people with similar issues, people that are thinking the way I do etc. It makes me feel less weird and misunderstood.
Also I am looking for new ideas, insights etc as my life has changed so much within the last six months (for the better) since I got the disgnosis and I know that I just scratched the surface so far.

Little Missy 03-05-18 12:53 PM

I don't even have an agenda.

acdc01 03-05-18 01:04 PM

I come as its just a fun break for me and I do learn things sometimes.

That said, there are certain topics I feel strongly about. When those topics pop up, yes I do wish I can convince people of my side sometimes. It's just human to want this, has nothing to do with adhd.

I don't think anyone here thinks you have some nefarious hidden reason for being on this forum. I do think (and I think it's what people have been reacting to) you sometimes start threads hoping to prove to people something. This thread itself is an example of that. Your response to little nut about why you started this thread said "to prove to people......" so yeah, you do have an agenda.

And personally, I think that's absolutely fine and I do it myself sometimes especially when I'm upset by something just like I think you are right now.

I personally wouldn't change your style of posting just cause a few people complained. That said, made up words are harder for people to understand so if you post word like that, people will question them. Some of the words they were complaining were made up, I didn't think were made up either though maybe a couple were (don't know as I'm not a dictionary). Anyway, I personally have no problems with you saying things however yoh want to say them. It's a sign of you possibly being a creative person to me.

Sorry you've been feeling attacked by the way. Hopefully people will tone down doing what's been bothering you since they now realize you are sensitive to it.

mildadhd 03-05-18 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acdc01 (Post 1987649)
I come as its just a fun break for me and I do learn things sometimes.

That said, there are certain topics I feel strongly about. When those topics pop up, yes I do wish I can convince people of my side sometimes. It's just human to want this, has nothing to do with adhd.

I don't think anyone here thinks you have some nefarious hidden reason for being on this forum. I do think (and I think it's what people have been reacting to) you sometimes start threads hoping to prove to people something. This thread itself is an example of that. Your response to little nut about why you started this thread said "to prove to people......" so yeah, you do have an agenda.

And personally, I think that's absolutely fine and I do it myself sometimes especially when I'm upset by something just like I think you are right now.

I personally wouldn't change your style of posting just cause a few people complained. That said, made up words are harder for people to understand so if you post word like that, people will question them. Some of the words they were complaining were made up, I didn't think were made up either though maybe a couple were (don't know as I'm not a dictionary). Anyway, I personally have no problems with you saying things however yoh want to say them. It's a sign of you possibly being a creative person to me.

Sorry you've been feeling attacked by the way. Hopefully people will tone down doing what's been bothering you since they now realize you are sensitive to it.

Thanks for the support.

I agree I do have an agenda/reason, but it far from hidden.

(Edit: I do not think you are saying I have a hidden agenda)

As far as making up words, the whole thing about making up words is made up, in my opinion.

(Edit: I do not think you are saying I make up words)

I am learning that in science there are more than one way to say the same thing.

Example, adrenaline and epinephrine are the same thing.

(“To learn all the different scientific terminologies and ways of saying the same thing is a right of passage” -paraphrasing Dr. Panksepp)

I also have a strong personal interest due to having ADHD and trying to understand the origin of ADHD, in learning how our brain develops and the order it develops, and I try to encourage both affective scientific terminologies and cognitive scientific terminologies. I learned the affective terminologies first, because our affective brain biology matures before our cognitive brain biology. Now I am learning our cognitive brain biology terminologies and how the reciprocal relationship “works” with affective brain biology. I think learning both affective and cognitive terminologies is giving me a much better perspective than if I learned cognitive scientific terminologies alone, and in turn a real boost of confidence that I know both. (So your right, I do have a agenda/reason, but I think I have a legitimate reason)

(Edit, I do not think you are saying I do not have a legitimate reason)

I think most of us have a legitimate agenda/reason based on personal interests/experiences.

Maybe it would help people to know I am an exconstruction worker with a phobia of post secondary institutes, and this is the only real place I practice discussing any of these topics, and very greatfull for ADDForums and members, because I hope to get over my phobia, with help from the confidence I am gaining here with all the practice discussing things here at ADDForums.

I will also try to be less repeative and more considerate and patient of others.

M

lntense 03-05-18 04:34 PM

To attempt to help others based off personal experience.

Not everything I say always applies to everyone but I know what works for me so I share.

userguide 03-06-18 10:34 AM

To get 100 Thanks :D

...as this is the only place I can make such careless posts :)

mildadhd 03-06-18 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by userguide (Post 1987727)

:):(:rolleyes::mad::eek::confused::lol::eyebrow: :faint::scratch::giggle::goodpost::doh::yes::umm1: :thankyou: :grouphug:

M

Monox D. I-Fly 03-06-18 10:35 PM

To get 100 Thanks? Mine is simply to make 2,000 posts.

mildadhd 03-06-18 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monox D. I-Fly (Post 1987803)

:grouphug: :thankyou: :umm1: :yes: :doh: :goodpost: :giggle: :scratch: :faint: :eyebrow: :lol: :confused: :eek: :mad: :cool: :p ;) :D :o :( :)

Caveman

mildadhd 03-07-18 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by userguide (Post 1987727)

Your getting 1 “thank you” every 1.85 posts.

I’m getting 1 “thank you” every 10.95 posts

So I clicked the “remove your thanks” button, but it did not reduce your total.

I wonder why you have a much better ratio of “thank you” to total posts than me???! :eyebrow:

(mildadhd runs away stomping feet, screaming...#$&*%/[@&^£.)

M

mildadhd 03-07-18 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monox D. I-Fly (Post 1987803)

(mildadhd runs back stomping feet, screaming...#$&*%/[@&^£.)

And you, mr popular!

1 “thank you” every 1.2 posts!!!

I want my points back!

M

Monox D. I-Fly 03-07-18 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildadhd (Post 1987807)
(mildadhd runs back stomping feet, screaming...#$&*%/[@&^£.)

And you, mr popular!

1 “thank you” every 1.2 posts!!!

I want my points back!

M

There, there... I gave you a thank. But seriously, if you want to collect thanks that much I suggest you to join Math Help Boards or Neo Ark Cradle, though I don't know if you are into mathematics or Yu-Gi-Oh!.

sarahsweets 03-09-18 05:49 AM

To hit 30,000 posts.;)

Monox D. I-Fly 03-10-18 02:42 AM

Wow... That's 15 times more than my target post...